Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District
Ranked #42 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Metairie, LA
“Very nice experience”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We enjoyed this Country Inn. It is well located on the main street into downtown St. Augustine - about a 5 minute drive. The rooms are small and a little worn, but generally things were in good working order. Bathroom was also a little worn, but very clean. The staff was great and the front desk clerk Debi was terrific. She helped us with an upgrade to a king suite as we are Club Carlson members and gave us wonderful recommendations for which attractions to see - as we didn't have children with us - and also a dinner recommendation which turned out to be a wonderful meal. We would stay there again even though it is not the newest of the Country Inns. We had none of the problems that some of the other reviewers complained of.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Silvie M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so much for writing this excellent review on Tripadvisor. I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please join us again when your travels bring you back to Saint Augustine.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Jacksonville
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hard to know where to begin with how much a cluster this one-night stay was for me and my wife. Selected this "newest hotel in St. Augustine" hoping for a simple one-night refuge. Made reservation for late arrival and arrived on schedule but exhausted at midnight. Struck by mildew smell and NO hot water. Called and learned, "sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes..." ??? Linens smelled bad and we got woken up by a phone call from the front desk at 11 AM to ask if the cleaning people can service the room. (Check out was 12:00 Noon). Bathroom was not very clearn and while the TV remote would power on, it wouldn't change channels. Brought all these issues to the attention of the mgr on duty and she said that I had to take it up with Travelocity. Checked out and ten minutes later learned that I had to call Travelocity BEFORE checking out. Double whammy with no one accountable. Travelocity offered a $50 credit on a future two-night stay. Hmmm. Me thinks with so many online travel sites that customer service would hold the highest potential for differentiation. I traveled 40 of the past 50 weeks on business and so I understand there is a range in service between locations but this was ridiculous. I'll be back to St. Augustine many times as it was the city where my wife and I had our first date and then later got engaged. However, I will not stay at the Country Inn & Suites.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
2 Thank Emest_Da_Bestest
Date 10/29/12

To Whom It May Concern,

I am sorry that you have concerns about your experience at the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, St. Augustine hotel. Although it is never pleasant to hear when a guest is not satisfied with his or her experience, we do need to be aware of these situations.

Our goal is to make the Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, St. Augustine hotel the choice for our guests while away from home. I will be sharing your comments with the hotel staff during our upcoming meeting as a learning tool to help us improve our performance and provide exceptional service to our guests. We want to be able to provide our guests with the best service possible, and feedback from our guests helps us to achieve that goal.

I want to thank you for taking the time to contact us because your input is valuable to us. We hope we will have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, St. Augustine, FL

Travelers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Windermere, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had spent a week trying to determine where we wanted to stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and finally found out that we were coming in to town during Octoberfest and hotels were booking fast. After a lot of searching I selected Country Inn & Suites because of its previous review, location, and due to my personal opinion of their pricing being moderate and not "too cheap" for fear of a bad experience, and/or "too pricey" for fear of breaking the bank. With that said, we paid $205 a night and stayed for 2 nights. The location wasn't bad, not super close to the historic part of town, approximately 2 miles away from it, but all in all, not too bad. However, when we first walked in to the room, we were immediately hit with a musky and moldy smell. The carpet was pulling away from the tile around the jacuzzi tub in the room (which we never used out of fear of cleanliness) exposing the tac strip, and the bath/shower was rusty, including the metal filter on the hairdryer. We immediately got onto our computers and contemplated finding another place and fighting for our money back, however we were stuck due to no other availability. We were happy with the free breakfast, and the hard working man who helped to maintain the food and cleanliness every morning, however, that was the only pleasant part of our stay. On the day of check out after breakfast we returned to our room to pack up and relax before leaving, only to have a younger blonde woman house keeper walk into our room without knocking. She immediately shut the door and walked out without saying anything???? I went to the hall to find out what she needed, and she was at the door across from ours, and only turned her head back for a 1/2 second to say (sorry...I need nothing) and walk into that room??? We were ready to leave, so I didn't ruin her day by complaining, and we quickly left (knowing I would be writing this tonight- we checked out this morning 10/21/12). We truly loved our time in Saint Augustine and will definitely go back, however, next time, we'll spend more and stay at a bed and breakfast and/or another hotel. We highly recommend: La Pentola for dinner as it was an amazing restaurant. Eat in the courtyard...it's beautiful!!!!!!

2 Thank Kdigi
Silvie M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Date 10/23/12

Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, St. Augustine, FL
Litchfield Park, Arizona
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I would not recommend this place at all. We walked into the room and walked right back out. Very small hotel and the rooms were small for the price. Would not go back and to this hotel or even recommend it to anyone. My husband and I travel alot and were very surprised at the quality of this hotel. Don't waste your money. Pay to go somewhere else.

2 Thank Creampuff77
Silvie M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
To Whom It May Concern,
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. Our hotel has standard rooms and suites. When guest is making reservation they have a choice to reserved standard room or suites. We would be happy to move you to a suite if you would let us know. There are a lot of big hotels in our area that have s smaller rooms and they are charging more money. Again we are sorry your visit with us was not as expected. We hope you enjoyed beautiful St.Augustine.
panama city
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites in St Augustine before a cruise. I was reluctant because of the bad reviews. I think everyone is complaining because the hallways do not have air conditioning. It was 84 degrees outside and it felt even hotter in the halls. My room had great air conditioning. It was clean and the breakfast was good. I do not think I could stay here in the summer because I would pass out in the hall putting my key in the door. I think they are just trying to save money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Pros...close to downtown but not right in the hub bub. Quiet. Staff was extremely friendly. Check in & out was a breeze.

Cons....The room was HOT. The A/C would not cool the room off to where you could sleep comfortably. The 3rd floor hall corridor was also HOT. Complained to front desk, they sent maintenence to look at it, the poor guy was Ukranian and could hardly speak English, said there "was nothing to be done". We looked at a 2nd floor room and it was hot also. Decided to stick it out instead of moving down 1 floor. Complimentary breakfast was horrible! Would highly recommend going to Mary's or Shmagel's for breakfast.

Will not stay here again. Period.

Room Tip: If you want a good deal without noise, this is your place. Need to bring a fan to blow on you all ni...
3 Thank Victoria4986
Silvie M, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, St. Augustine Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Date.10/08/12

Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'd rather not stay here again.

The linen isn't changed when requested and I question whether they actually change it for each new arrival.

The AC works well and keeps the whole suite cool which was a welcome surprise. The in-room amenities were of an OK quality and where replenished daily.

On our floor, there was an ice-machine, drink machine and vending machine...very convenient!

We left a sentimental, valuable item behind and when we called back, front desk was kind enough to follow up and we got it back with no hassle at all. Honesty and integrity of the staff is above and beyond.

Cleanliness is top priority in my book and this hotel fell short.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends