“great little place”
Review of Catch 27 - MOVED

Catch 27
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Catch 27 stands for fresh locally caught Florida seafood. We believe in cooking everything from scratch with local ingredients. Sea lovers and Land lovers will all find something they'll enjoy.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

This place is a must if you're looking for a food experience not necessarily an event kind of meal. The atmosphere is fine enough, small and cramped, but it's the food you're coming for. The fish dishes were all great. We had the shrimp and grits app along with crab cakes. I know that doesn't sound exciting, but they were off the charts delicious. We've been getting crab cakes in each restaurant we visit on this trip and these were by far the best. For the meal it was fish tacos (some of the best I've ever had) and catch of the day-flounder served with angel hair pasta, beans and a light cream sauce. All four were spot on. The server really knew her stuff and even though she had the whole place to herself she still was timely and once it was clear that we were excited to be there she was very friendly and informative. I used to wait on tables and it takes a special type to run a whole busy place and not get panicky. Perfect lunch destination and will be back next time we come to St. Augustine.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

This place reminded me of a small French Bistro in terms of size. Whilst the food was fresh and menu fairly small, the quality of the food was simply not as good as one would find at a "chef owned" bistro in France or the UK. Perhaps one reason for this was that the owner is not the chef, who is employed by him. Other people have commented about good quality, but poor service. In our case it was the reverse, with excellent service but mediocre food.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stopped here with a fried who has been to St. Augustine several times. It was my first trip and we went to Catch 27 based on a trip advisor review. It was lunch and we were the first customers of the day. The server was very knowledgeable and helpful. I asked for his recommendation and he suggested the fish sandwich which a local person had told me was great. The snapper had come off the boat an hour earlier and was grilled to perfection. The homemade remoulade sauce was delicious and it came with a nice side caesar, one of several options. We were full and passed on dessert although that sounded delicious as well. This is one of the surprisingly few local restaurants that serves fresh local fish and I was very pleased. The restaurant is small and has a nice little outdoor seating area.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We were lucky to go on a slow Monday night and what a treat it was! My wife and I nearly fought over the shrimp and grits appetizer. I am a fan of the dish at other restaurants and it was the first time that I have seen the grits presented as cakes. They were wonderful and the shrimp was blackened which was a nice touch. I will get it as an entree on a future visit.
The catch of the day was flounder and I had it blackened and it was served over pasta with a sherry sauce. Blame it on too many family vacations as a kid when flounder was THE fish on most menus, but flounder didn't strike me as a very sexy choice when I ordered it. However, it blew me away. It has been the best meal I have had in town in the last two weeks we have spent visiting St. Augustine. The only food drawback was on my wife's plate as she had a rather bland serving of angel hair pasta with no sauce.
When a couple came in after us, all of the tables (maybe 10 or 12 total) were taken and there was one waitress on duty. She did an adequate job despite our water glasses not being refilled and the appetizer and salads running up on each other. I would be afraid of returning with my hopes set on eating here again because it is so small and it seems like busier times of year might make it impossible to get a table. It is quite a treat if you can get in, though.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

This cozy little restaurant in the historic district serves up good fresh seafood in a no frills setting. The menu is small but offers an adequate selection for everyone's taste. As the name implies, seafood is the star attraction but there are a couple of other options available for the landlubbers in your group. The one thing you will not find on the menu is any type of alcohol, however you can bring a bottle of wine with you and the staff will gladly serve it at no extra charge. The problem with that policy is that first-timers will not know to bring their own wine and repeat guests probably don't relish schlepping a bottle several blocks from their parking spot. Our fish tacos were quite tasty served in flour tortillas with fresh pico de gallo on top and a choice of sauces. The shrimp and grits dish has 10 blackened shrimp served with a sherry cream sauce over 6 small cheddar & bacon grit cakes that were absolutely delightful and good enough for a return visit on their own. I'm not sure how long this place has been open but it seemed like service was a little uneven with the food taking longer than it should have with the small number of people eating there during our visit. Dinnerware is low end diner type quality, but the prices were reasonable and the food was very good so we felt that we could overlook the few shortcomings that were experienced. However, management needs to get a license to at least serve beer and wine for this to be a favorite spot for us.