“As good as its reviews” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ned's Southside Kitchen

Ned's Southside Kitchen
Ranked #24 of 571 Restaurants in Saint Augustine
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Classic Dinners, Fresh Salads, Seafood, Soups, Sandwiches and more, all in a welcoming atmosphere. Find us on Facebook for weekly & daily Blue Plate specials. Call ahead for window service.
Saint Augustine, Florida
“As good as its reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We never had the chance to eat at Ned's before the fire, but were excited to try it now that they've re-opened. We were not disappointed. The place was bustling at lunchtime, but we quickly found a couple of seats at the counter (which turned out to be a lot of fun because we could watch the staff in action and chat with them as they worked). Service was excellent, and the speed with which the kitchen turns out quality food is amazing. Highlights were the coconut shrimp appetizer, and some fantastic brisket tacos, but everything was tasty. We'll definitely be back.

Visited August 2014

Saint Augustine, Florida
“Ned forgot to order tea bags. Want a cup of tea. Bring a tea bag!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Ned's is a local favorite. After a kitchen fire six months ago, they finally re-opened. After all that time (there didn't appear to be much damage) we expected a big change in the decor. There wasn't. Just some fresh paint and tables rearanged. Food and service are the same. Average. After dinner I enjoy a cup of hot tea. When I ordered my tea I was told they did not get their tea bags delivered. Come on Ned, Walmart is right across the street. Send someone! Try to keep your regulars coming back. I wonder now. They were quite busy. People waiting for tables to open up. Were there really no tea bags, or was I just told that so we would leave?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Meatloaf Nervana”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Ok meatloaf isn't for everyone, but oh boy it makes me smile. From the Arnold Palmer no sweet tea, to the mash potatoes with real lumps to the extra gravy for the asking - Yum. The servers are the bomb and what do they do to the cooked carrots that I eat them all. So glad your at it again Ned's. Some day I will try to save room for the dessert.

Saint Augustine, Florida
“Ned's back!, even better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Make a reservation, the line is long for a good reason, it's worth the wait. Not fancy surroundings, but very friendly. I'd rather pay a reasonable price for really good food in a comfortable place than spend a lot on poor food in a ritzy room. This is where locals who know good food go.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Rehoboth Beach
“Looking for the Locals' Dining Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

My partner and I and our 16 year old chose to dine at Ned's based on the reviews we found on TripAdvisor. Most recommended the establishment as a hidden gem enjoyed mostly by locals. As we travel a fair bit, we quite often opt for choices off-the-beaten-path in dining. (Generally preferring the locals' choices over the establishments that exist only for tourists and visitors)
We had enjoyed a rather late breakfast and decided to early dinner, arriving at the restaurant at about 4:45 pm. We were seated and immediately waited upon. This choice in arrival time was rather wise, as within roughly fifteen minutes the restaurant went from moderately crowded to completely full with folks waiting both inside and outside of the restaurant. (It was a Saturday)
There was a posted menu board with specials and we quickly chose to have Conch Fritters as an appetiser while we perused the menu. The fritters arrived before the waitress had a chance to come back and take our dinner order. (They were quite tasty and there was a bevy of them on the appetiser serving tray) The menu consisted of fairly standard American "diner-style" options. There was a small section of latino food choices, salad and sandwich choices, and entrees. Almost all entrees came with vegetables on the side. We chose an enchilada entree, a turkey and dressing dinner, and a chicken breast special dinner entree.
The food was served to us within minutes. It was hot and fresh. All of the meals had the exact same choice of side vegetables, which were serviceable steamed carrots, broccoli, red cabbage, and mashed red potatoes with skins. The food was good. My chicken breast entree was breaded and stuffed with cheese. My partner's turkey dish was good and he enjoyed the dressing and mashed potatoes. My 16 year-old son inhaled the enchiladas with rice and beans. The meals were exactly what I have come to expect from an American diner-style restaurant. Comfort food, served fast.
With Ned's, it's the "served fast" part that left me a bit non-plussed with the establishment. I am all for a restaurant being run like a well-oiled machine, but I have never seen employees scurrying about in such a frenzy in my life. Yes, the restaurant was busy. Yes, it's important to continue to turn tables in such an environment. But, there were waitresses and busboys flying around the room at such breakneck speeds that my table's attentions were quickly turned to what was almost a comical take on restaurant efficiency. Plates vanished from our table almost as quickly as forks were turned over on them, drinks were filled and refilled in a flash, dessert requests were tossed to us as we were still in the throes of finishing our entrees, and our bill arrived and was nestled mid-table as the busboy was stealing yet a few more freshly-emptied plates from our table.
We opted not to have dessert and our credit card and bill were taken and returned to the table in under a minute. I am not exaggerating for effect the breakneck speeds taking place in the restaurant. It became uncomfortable enough that I was actually relieved to be able to stand up from the table and make my way to the door. And, as you might expect, the busboy was literally wiping the table as we pushed in our chairs. I am not trying to imply that anyone was rude or impolite. Actually, everyone in the restaurant was quite friendly. Clearly though, the establishment is guided by the principle of turning tables as quickly as humanly possible.
Do not expect a leisurely meal. I was not comfortable for a moment. The restaurant is very loud and this is exacerbated by the throng of waiting diners that stands in the foyer and entry-way, waiting for tables.

• 2 of 5 bubbles