“Nice setting, with good food”
Review of Cap's on the Water

Cap's on the Water
Ranked #27 of 605 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We were in St. Augustine for one day on the way to Disney, and Caps was suggested to us by the desk person at the Hampton Vilano Beach (great hotel, see my review). Caps is close to Vilano Beach, but somewhat off of the beaten path from A1A. Most of the seating is outside, but we got an inside table that had a lovely view of the inner waterway. The setting is lovely, and the food was good too. I have seen complaints about the service, but our server was okay. It was odd that it seemed that virtually every table inside had a different server, and that each servers seemed to be working both inside and outside. The parking lot is not very good - not paved, and no lines, plus there are trees and fences to contend with. We plan to be back in St. Augustine next year, and I would go back to Caps again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,896)

Reviewed June 4, 2010

A group of us tried Cap's twice. Food was okay, service was awful both times, we got the same surly waitress who acted like we were really annoying. The first time we were charged for booze we did not order. I was asked to fax a copy of our bill to the restaurant, which I did as the "manager" was laughing at my request. I never heard frrom them of course. So we will never go there again.

2  Thank nanamacg
Reviewed May 25, 2010

For location and atmosphere, you couldn't ask for much more from a "tourist trap" type seafood restaurant - a beautiful setting on a deck on the water, tiki lights, even an airport near by.
Unfortunately the food doesn't measure up to the atmosphere. It was good but not great. My wife was disappointed with the size of the oysters, and they cost more than in the Atlanta area. My salmon was good not not extraordinary. The sides are mostly starches. The dessert choices weren't inspiring.
One might enjoy it once but it's not a place we'd rush back to.

Reviewed May 16, 2010

A local we met recommended Cap's to us. It's not a place we would have found otherwise, as it's several miles out of town amid a beachfront community. We were warned to arrive by six or expect a long wait. We were seated on the waterfront deck after about 15 minutes and enjoyed fresh oysters, cobia, grouper, and crab cakes. Food and service were excellent. We'll return on our next visit to St. Augustine.

Reviewed May 14, 2010

This place was highly recommend...We didnt think we would have the time but we just took a drive over to villano beach and just found it....The parking lot was crazy..There was a 45 min wait for outside seating.There was no wait inside and it was dark so sat inside.It was a small dining room but really nice.I did not expect that.The servicewas good & the food was Great!This place is mostly outdoors so dont go on a rainy day..We plan to go back on our next trip to St. Augustine.Next time we will go during the day & sit outside so we can see the great view.Looks loke a lot of fun in the day..Great for all ages.We went for a romantic dinner & had a great time!!