“Swing and a miss”
Review of Cap's on the Water

Cap's on the Water
Ranked #26 of 602 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

On our first visit to St Augustine last year we went to Cap's, which our niece Juli highly recommended. That was a sublime dinner experience. With high expectations, we went back, and were quite disappointed. Cap's still has a wonderful location, right on the water. We sat outside on a chilly night, and the restaurant had tower heaters set up. A half bottle of Oregon Pinot Gris was expensive (19.99), but very good. Alas, it went downhill from there.
We were there on a Friday night, and late November-early December is not high season, but every customer should be satisifed. What is the saying that the chain is only as strong as its weakest link?
Our Miso Calamari with sesame seeds & cucumber salad (9.99) was mediocre. I ordered the Sesame Seared Tuna (advertised as being served with a cool red center), sesame crusted, tuna served over fried spinach. Three bean salad and plantains. It had barely touched the skillet, and was not so much cool as defrosted or brought to almost room temperature. I was very disappointed. Very. We got a crème brûlée for dessert, and that also disappointed. How can anyone mess up crème brûlée?

Write a ReviewReviews (1,878)

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went to St. Augustine to celebrate my birthday and I had picked out a restaurant that I found on tripadvior. I called to make a reservation and they told me they didn't take reservations. So we drive over there and see no cars in the parking lot and a big sign, closed for renovations. So now what do we do. My huband gets out his I phone and starts to look for another place. We found Cap's and liked the menu and it had good reviews. We arrive and they immediately sat us on the outdoor deck right next to the water. There was a candel buring on our take and they had some of those standing outside heaters but it wasn't that cold. I started out with a delicious martini. My husband ordered 2 appetizers for his dinner, the oysters rockefeller and lobster rolls. I didn't try them but he said that both were very good. I had the grouper servced over eggplant which was delicious. It turned out to be a wonderful evening as the first restaurant I had picked wasn't located on the water. This is a place you shouldn't miss when in St. Augustine.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Ate outside, beautiful view, uncomfortable seating under trees shedding caterpillars. Felt like we were in a furry blizzard (and they sting!)

Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

If you're in the area do not miss caps. The view is amazing. Surrounded by water and beautiful trees. Vanilla grouper is amazingly sweet with wonderful spinach included. Place is a tad pricey for my budget but well worth it. Perfect place to take out of town guest to show them Florida intercoastal beauty and amazing seafood.

1  Thank jodirachelsavannah
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stopped by Cap's on the way back to the hotel after a long fun day in St. Augustine. My Sister had told us about the place so we stopped by to check it out on the way to see if we'd be interested. To be honest it looked like something from Food networks "Dive's and Drive-ins" show, the Florida version, but there were lots of parking spaces and the menu that they have out by the front door looked good.

The total bill was over $50 and the portions were not that big and the food was good, but not fantastic. If you are looking for good value this is not your place. The $55 dollar check was for just food as we don't drink and just had water to give you a better idea of what to expect.

If I'm going to spend that much I would rather go to a place like Nan's in Atlanta that is truly worth that much. I'm not saying this place is bad though, as the front looks like a dive, but where you eat is quite an experience. it's like eating on a huge deck overlooking the water beneath large oak trees with moss hanging down.