“Enjoy a meal in the deep end.”
Review of Cafe Alcazar

Cafe Alcazar
Ranked #29 of 610 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Casual fine dining in what was once the world's largest swimming pool. Offering international cuisine for lunch daily, and a special Art Walk dinner from 6PM to 9PM on the First Friday Art Walk of each month. Reservations recommended. Private events also available, please contact restaurant for details.
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The setting is totally impressive - the deep end of what was once the world's largest indoor swimming pool. The staff is attentive, cordial and very responsive. The classical guitarist (on our visit) was accomplished and truly added to the delightful ambience. Oh, almost forgot - our food was well prepared, presented very appealingly and completely enjoyed. Thought the pricing was very reasonable.

1  Thank TomMcB

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We sought out the Café Alcazar for it's uniqueness. The first thing we noticed was the strong smell of garlic. We didn't have reservations and were seated right away.The menu makes the food seem impressive but it's just ok. I had the Roasted Asparagus Panini and it was pretty good but my husband had the shrimp scampi and it was barely average. It's a pretty expensive lunch if you add wine. I would say once is enough

1  Thank Beach710
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I always come here for lunch when visiting st Augustine! I love the love piano music and have never had anything on the menu that I didn't like! I tried the veggie burger today but I also love the asparagus panini, personally. Very cool place since it used to be an indoor swimming pool. Plan it out though because they are only open for lunch. Prices are reasonable for what you get, about $10-15 a plate on average. Very good service and I love the little shops surrounding the "patio" area indoors.

2  Thank Stefanie718
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This restaurant was once the location of an indoor casino swimming pool constructed in the late 1800's. It is fun to sit at the nice tables and look around imagining a life of opulence, where musicians would play from the gallery on the second floor.
The food was rich, buttery, and delicious. I enjoyed the Artichokes Giovanni, though it was no doubt loaded with fat and calories. I'd eat there again, but I'd definitely take out of town guests there to see it.
There are little shops along the side of the restaurant featuring all kinds of antique items.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

The history of this place is really the ambiance of it. Make sure you view the pictures of the pool in days past at the entrance so you know that you're dining in the "pool" area ! The food and staff is great but if you're looking for a big extended menu and you're on 1 of those fluff diets, go somewhere else. I'm a local and I still love to go for a cozy lunch with hubby. I don't really recommend it for kids, this wouldn't be my choice with my grandkids along since the menu is limited but fresh and lovely. The staff are so sweet, the air conditioning is COOL, take your sweater. I saw a lady who was very uncomfortable (cold) and the waiter actually gave her a table cloth to use as a shawl ! Watch for their hours, they are limited. Nice little shops around the Cafe, again look for their hours. We will return, soon I hope.

2  Thank GrandJack01