“Italian meal craving”

Amici Italian Restaurant
Ranked #121 of 583 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Authentic Italian cuisine with an extensive and varied menu. Has been voted best Italian restaurant in St. Augustine 13 years.
Olive, New York
“Italian meal craving”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I'm Italian and I can only go just so many days before getting my "fix". We were on vacation and I'd had enough fried foods to last me a life time. Amici's was right near where we were staying and that's why we chose it. Glad we did! I had a combo of veal parm, ravioli and eggplant parm. Penne on the side. It was great! I didn't need a doggie bag! The sauce was good, just enough mozzarella and the meat was pounded thin. The Italian bread had a good thick crust (glad I have good teeth) and the waiter brought fresh garlic that was roasted and he squeezed it onto a saucer and poured olive oil over it while at our table. My husband had seafood primavera over pasta and he said it was good except he's not a big fan of cooked green peppers and they were in the sauce. We shared a caraffe of wine and the bill was about $47. before tip thanks to a 10% off coupon I clipped from the paper. The waiter was extremely friendly and chatted with us. A real cutie! All in all it was an excellent choice.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Confy, local and great Pizza”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We just went out for Pizza in a quick, 2 day trip to St Augustine. It was a nice, low key place, old italian restaurant kinda a feel. Felt very homey and our waitress was awesome. We couldn't decide of toppings on top of our pie and went for a simple tomatoes, mushrooms and pepperoni pizza.....It was sooooo good. Thin, but not toasted, nor burnt. Just the right amount of toppings, and sauce was fantastic.

St. Augustine
“Can get real Italian food elsewhere.”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife seems to love this place, although I don't understand why. I have been there many times with her and only once or twice did I enjoy my meal. She usually only gets a pasta dish in meat sauce while I like to order a variety of things which may explain our difference of opinion.

The lasagna there is just pathetic. I have gotten it twice to see if the first time was just a fluke. It's horribly cooked with the pasta having the substance of a chalky sponge, the "sauce" basically tastes like a can of tomato soup with dry meat, and the cheese you are able to cut like a peice of chicken since it has been refrigerated and reheated a million times.

The salmon I had was uneatible. The bottom of the fish was brown and so soggy it was like mashed potatoes... disgusting.

The only thing I have enjoyed there is the cake, and that's probably because they order it premaid from somewhere.

The service is always hit or miss. Each time I pull up with my wife I see 6 people outside smoking, and then they stink when they come to service us after waiting 20 minutes just to get our drinks ordered. There have been a couple good servers there over the years but they don't seem to stick around, probably because they found out they can get better tips at a restaurant that cares about it's customers.

Management really has to do something about the quality of food and the service image to their customers. It's an italian restaurant for petes sake. Put some spices in the food, cook it right, and for gods sake use some fresh product. This visit we just had will probably be the last. I have a feeling this place doesn't care about regular customers as they can just rely on trapping tourists there. Seems like this place uses the cheapest ingredients to save a few bucks, but I'm going to save mine from now on and go elsewhere. I'll make the drive to Jax to enjoy a nice italian meal.

New Richmond, Wisconsin
“At least they comped our food!!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Strolled into Amici's last night after seeing some good reviews. We got immediate seating, and ordered a drink. My husband ordered Chicken Marsala and I ordered the Chicken Florentine. Both came with a choice of soup or salad and bread. The lettuce in the salads was a little limp, but not inedible, but when the entrees came, we were amazed...and not in a good way. The chicken appeared to have been steamed and then covered with a tasteless gravy. The Marsala had no flavor at all, and the Florentine had obviously fresh spinach, but the Parmesan cream sauce was nowhere to be found. In its place was a blah white gravy. Looking up at the skylight, we noticed peeling paint, and I was a little concerned since it was directly above me...no worries, tho', I couldn't eat my food anyway. We called over the waitress and asked to have our meals comped, and asked her to tell her manager about the peeling paint. She was very apologetic, and brought our bill for only the drinks. We were shocked that no manager came out to see us, or acknowledge the problem with our meals. Oh well...

Waterloo, Ont., Canada
“As in Brooklyn or Buffalo”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

When you tire of fish, shrimp, and Minorcan chowder spiced with datil peppers and served in airy, seaside restaurants decorated in Florida pastels, Amici is a good place to dine. Located on A1A in St. Augustine Beach, it could hold its own against first-rate Italian restaurants in any northern city. Classic menu: pastas, lasagna, parmigiana, etc. Friendly, quiet, unpretentious ambience. Regular menu is good value, with early-bird specials at an amazing $10. Meals begin with the server mixing roasted garlic, olive oil, and cheese at your table, for spreading on crusty pane. I was sorry the evening we ate here was on the chilly side, otherwise we would have asked for a table on the vine-draped terrace.