“Lovely Meal”

Ranked #121 of 584 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American, Cuban, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Cuban American Cuisine,family restaurant,outside sitting, pet friendly,located on Aviles Street,oldest street in the nation.
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
“Lovely Meal”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I had a Cuban sandwich, my sister had Empanadas. Both were excellent. The Empanadas were well executed, perfectly seasoned, not greasy at all. The Cuban was delicious and generously portioned. We both got black beans and rice for sides and they were perfect.

Our server was attentive without being intrusive, was friendly and knew the menu thoroughly.

A definite return visit next time I'm in St. Augustine.

Visited June 2014

“Good food good service! ”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Great food! We came with 10 people and they weren't scared to help us like some places do. I had the club sandwich and it was amazing! One of my friends had the club and he said it was good too. OMG the plantains were amazing! The sangria was not very good. I would rate it a 2 out of 10. It was basically wine with oranges. If you are looking for sangrias this wouldn't be my first pick.

“Great food, super service”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

My group had pressed sandwiches and all were great. The chicken pesto is fabulous. They come with sides - I had black beans and rice but potatoes or sweet plantains are available. With inside or outside seating, the chef and server were eager to please. And a local showed me where to park close by so I will definitely return again.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank josie5689
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“A Tale of 2 Restaurants..”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We wee in town for the weekend and heard good things about the restaurant. Went ther on a Saturday night. We were disappointed with the food. The 2 house specialties we ordered, the Picadilla and pork special were ok but nothing special. My Picadilla tested like basic ground meat with some onion and a little spice. I put about a quarter bottle of hot sauce on it to give it some flavor. Black beans and rice were again, ok, My husband had the pork special and it was also very bland. The highlight of the meal was the crab and corn chowder soup. Nicely spiced, lots of crab and piping hot... Now back to the meals...both of us got our meals lukewarm at best. There's nothing worse than getting food that tastes like it was sitting around for awhile.
Well we were liking for breakfast near the hotel before we left and this restaurant was the first place we found serving breakfast on Monday morning. Well, my Fat Omelet of Avocado, feta and tomato was nicely prepare with fresh ingredients. My husbands egg dish was also nicely prepared (fluffy eggs and toast nice, fruit nice and fresh..). So maybe we experienced a bad Saturday night.
We wouldn't return for dinner, but would definately recommend the breakfast,

• Visited May 2014
Atlanta, GA
“Not worth the wait.”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I have had this restaurant on my list of restaurants to try after seeing it on a PBS special about 2 years ago. We were driving down to Fort Lauderdale so I planned for us to stop here for lunch on our way back. Parking was really hard to find on a Saturday afternoon. We eventually found an open meter about 3 blocks away. The restaurant was not crowded and we were seated right away. I ordered sangria and the brisket (ropa vieja), my husband ordered the La Herencia cheese steak sandwich, and our son got a hot dog.

After all of that anticipation, the food was just OK. My main criticism is that it was underseasoned and lacking flavor. The portion of brisket I got was way too big for the little bowl of beans and rice and plaintain that came with it. I ended up taking most of the brisket home and using it in some yummy wrap sandwiches. Although I didn't think the beans and rice were great - certainly nowhere near as good as the The Latin Cafe's in Miami, the brisket was pretty good. Plaintain is pretty hard to mess up. If you know how to cook it, it will be yummy. My plantains were cooked well and were properly ripened. My husband thought the best part of his sandwich was the bread.

Our server was prompt and courteous. The restaurant was not full but she still seemed rushed. Overall, It was not a horrible meal by any means but it certainly wasn't spectacular. I feel like I've been there and done that and don't really feel any urge to go back for more.

• Visited April 2014