“Great Find”

Ranked #93 of 611 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American, Cuban, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Cuban American Cuisine,family restaurant,outside sitting, pet friendly,located on Aviles Street,oldest street in the nation.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Small authentic Cuban restaurant on Aviles street serving breakfast and lunch. The hot pressed sandwiches are all excellent. The “Cuban Hamburger”, Choripan and Ropa Vieja are particularly notable and the sweet plantains plump and juicy. Sit outside and people watch. Dessert is a must. Great value.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I wanted this place to be good since my daughter was craving latin food. The aromas coming out of this place were great when we walked by in the afternoon so we decided to eat dinner here on 1/2/13. Reviews for breakfast are good. They should probably stick to that. We enjoyed sitting street side but that was the highlight. They ran out of Ropa Vieja so I tried the Picadillo. My daughter had the dinner special of flank steak, fried plantains and a white/yellow rice combo. The food was bland and cold. No water, bread, or salad with the meals. 1 glass of red wine, 1 lemonade, 2 dinners. $38 before tip. You decide.

1  Thank mattin54
Reviewed January 4, 2013

What a nice little place. Had a tasty Cuban breakfast sandwich. Excellent service and WONDERFUL coffee. These folks know good coffee. (Unlike some other big Spanish/Cuban restaurant in town) These were really nice people too. We'll be back for dinner for certain.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family just happened upon La Herencia Cafe and were extremely pleased with our breakfast. The Guajiro omelet was incredible. We also had Chorizo Pizza and the Chorizo Omelet; both were very good, but the Guajiro is a must. When we are in St Augustine again we will be visiting again.

1  Thank Kilgores
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Came back to this restaurant expecting the same great food and service and was extremely disappointed with both. My husband ordered the pork and I ordered the media noche sandwich. For Hispanics that know the difference, a media noche sandwich is not a Cuban sandwich and that is what I ended up getting. My side dish, ripe plantains were cold. My husbands pork was nothing but a thick piece of fat that you would have normally trimmed off the meat, not served it. His food was also cold. The waiter didn't bring silverware so we had to find her to ask her to do so. Then she didn't come to check on us to find out about the meal. I ended up giving some of the pork in my sandwich to my husband so he wouldn't leave hungry. Overall won't be coming back. Too bad.