“Nice location, decent food”
Review of A1A Ale Works

A1A Ale Works
Reserve with OpenTable
A1A Ale Works is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 600 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place where we could carb-load and he wanted to try their local brews, so we ended up at A1A Ale Works on a Friday night. It was pretty crowded and noisy with the happy hour crowd and we were told a wait time of 45 minutes for a party of two, but got seated on the second level after about 20 minutes.

Our table had a nice view of the Bridge of Lions, and our server Clayton seemed to be hustling with the Friday night crowd but was efficient and fairly attentive. I got the Key Lime Shrimp and Lobster pasta. It had a surprising amount of shrimp and lobster and was deliciously rich, but then again it was nearly $20 and didn't come with any sides other than the bread for the table. My husband really loved the pasta dish he ordered as well.

Their flight of beers was very reasonable at $6, but I didn't really care for any of their local beers. If you just want a microbrewery and don't care so much about food, Mile Marker brewery is about 15 minutes away near I95 and their beer across the board is much better is much better in my opinion.

Overall, I enjoyed our dinner here but would probably try other restaurants before returning. I recommend it more for a happy hour/girls night out kind of place than a romantic dinner experience.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

If you're someone who loves a corporate chain restaurant, then A1A Ale Works may be for you. But if you choose this place over the multitude of better dining options in St Augustine, I have to be honest, you're missing out on an important experience of the city. I know, A1A is right on San Marco Ave, overlooking the Plaza and the Bridge of Lions, so the view is great. But unfortunately the service nor food has the personal charm of St Augustine. Here's an example: tonight we decided to try A1A, even though we've lived here over a year, because we heard the beer-cheese soup was phenominal. We ordered the chicken quesadilla appetizer and each of us had a soup/salad combo because we weren't hungry enough to pay almost $20 for an entree. The quesdilla was good, not unlike something that would be served at The Cheesecake Factory. The first couple of bites of the soup were really good, but sadly, about half way through the cup, we both couldn't wait for it to be over. It was SO rich and lacked complexity of flavor. The salad was a typically house salad. Entire bill, including an average $8 martini: a whopping $35...WITHOUT tip. Martini. Quesdilla. 2 cups soup. 2 small salads. Please, take your $35 and go to Osteen's, Jaybird's or The Gallery Cafe... etc etc. A1A is all about the show and no substance. Trust me.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Was told by a local to try and they were right.the beer cheese soup is a must.there bread pudding may have been the best I ever had...no kidding....waiters were also very friendly....

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had the Ragtime shrimp served with THE MOST DELICIOUS honey mustard sauce I've ever tasted (would pay for the recipe). We also had the seafood platter which included calamari served with a perfect marinara sauce. Our waiter, Clay, happily substituted crisp veggies for french fries. With two Jack Daniels and one local beer our total was $50. Looking forward to another drive to St. Auggie for more great food. Desert was a praline from Savannah Sweets on St. George St. (a tradition with us) P.S. Some drinks are less by arriving early.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Most all other establishments were dead or closed. We liked the menu, prices, atmosphere, and service. They have upstairs for eating restaurant style and downstairs for more bar hospitality.