“WORST RESTAURANT IN ST AUGUSTINE”
Review of A1A Ale Works

A1A Ale Works
Reserve with OpenTable
A1A Ale Works is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 605 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My wife had a steak which was to be done medium rare and it came to her hard as shoe leather..... so she asked to return it..... it was only 3 minutes before she got a new steak that was as she had ordered in the first place BUT it was kind of grayish purple looking on the outside and it tasted like it had been micorwaved....no marks of a grill or any browning marks... we are sure with the way it looked and the fact that they came back within a few minutes that it was nuked. Now my steak was medium as ordered but the shrimp tempura was undercooked....in fact the inside of all of them was soggy ... the batter was not cooked all the way... I ate it - do not know why I did that.... well then the wine which was a 6.99 bottle at ABC, cost us over 30.... worst wine charge I have experienced in a long time... then the waiter never opologized for the food problems and did not even ask us how the meal was - even after he knew about all the problems... in most good restaurants, the manager would come out and ask and offer something. Needless to say we will never go back ...... a note that another couple we befriended had an even worse experience that night and returned all their food and left.

1  Thank Johny A
Write a ReviewReviews (3,063)

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We took my brother-in-law to St. Augustine for the day and the weather was perfect (even a bit cool for Florida in May. I've eaten here before in past trips to St. Augustine and as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the better sit-down/casual restaurants within the tourist zone. If it's not terribly hot outside, ask for a seat on the 2nd floor balcony overlooking the park and the Bridge of Lions. Also, be sure to try their micro-brew selection, as I believe they have 4-5 different types of beer on tap. It's quite busy there throughout the day, but the servers are very friendly. In my opinion, the food is a bit pricey for a casual restaurant, but it's right in the middle of the main tourist area, so be prepared to spend $15-20 for lunch and $25-35 for dinner if you include beer.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Thought might be a tourist trap. But they have it all going ... Great food great beer and fast but not too rushed service. Everything was on the mark as good as advertised. We would go back ..several times!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Can't say enough good things about this restaurant....everything from the view of the Bridge of Lions to the service to the food...it was all wonderful...I am in St Augustine several times a year and always make it a point to go to A1A Alehouse for dinner...the nightly fish specials are always a hit...Highly recommend this place to everyone....inside dining in the summer is best but the views from the balcony are wonderful anytime of year, just cooler in spring and fall.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

We frequented aleworks on our first visit to St. Augustine. Great views of the bay, lots of seating, though we chose to sit on the outdoor second level veranda. Service was prompt and courteous, the food was very good. I had the portobello mushroom sandwich, which came w/red onion, lettuce and tomato. The bread was especially good, doughy, soft, fresh foccatia style bread. My husband got the sliders which were fresh and good and served with shoe-string style onion rings, which were tempura battered, light and good. Look for coupons and discounts when in the beautiful city! We got 10% off our entire check for having ridden the trolley service and showing our ticket stub/sticker. We also found a coupon for a free 8 oz. beer, and since there were two of us, we both enjoyed one! The beer/ales are locally brewed and they have many to choose from. I would definitely recommend this place, but go upstairs, the bar area is downstairs, as you walk in, but the views are much better from the upper deck area. Have fun! We did!