“Agreed, Ask for Sam”

Mikato Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar
Ranked #269 of 583 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Authentic Japanese Restaurant: Welcome to Mikato Japanese Steak House Hibachi and Sushi Bar restaurant. Look around. Have a seat. If this is your first visit, prepare to taste the greatest hibachi, teppanyaki, sushi and authentic Japanese dishes you've ever eaten. For any occasions: Mikato offers premier services. We can provide an exquisite display for a full service event, or you can use our platters to enhance other offerings, because we make every event better! Mikato possesses: All the qualities of a perfect dining experience. Enjoy the finest in steak and seafood skillfully prepared and presented with great flair by Master teppan-yaki chefs over an open flame on your table top grill. The speed and dexterity of our chefs will dazzle you and the exotic, elegant atmosphere will delight you.
“Agreed, Ask for Sam”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Or Alex, or Joe, or Misau, or the new guy who's name I didn't catch last time, they're all great! All the chef's are great and they all know us. We're in there a lot, usually once every month or two. If you like peace and quiet, then the grill isn't for you. They set the table on fire with several show tricks while they cook. The chefs are full of jokes and are glad to join you for a round of Sake Bombs. They serve a HUGE amount of food! I usually have trouble walking when I leave.

True, afterwards I usually have some gastric distress, but that's my own fault, as I like my steak REALLY bloody and I tend to eat over 1 lb of fried rice whenever I'm there. It's well worth the occasional after effects. I've never eaten there then though "oh, I shouldn't have" I always think "WORTH IT!" You probably don't want to go swimming after eating here, however, as so much food will cause problems. I usually need a nap after dinner at Mikato.

You can spend $30 for two people if you eat light (and you'll still get a lot of food), or you can spend $100 for filet lobster and a lot of drinks. My wife and I have done both but our average bill for the two of us is usually $40ish. Also has a sushi bar with fairly good sushi, but we always want the grill, so we don't eat the sushi that often. If you like sweet wines but want saki, ask to sample the Pomegranate Saki. I can drink a whole bottle without it ever tasting bad.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Christopher W

“Ask for Sam”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We probably go here every other month and we always ask for Sam. He is the most entertaining person there, he definitely keeps you laughing and he is the only one that makes the food so good. We made the mistake one time of not asking for him and the guy burnt everything. Sam is the go to guy for Mikatos. My fiance always get s the shrimp dinner and i get chicken. I love being able to take home so much food for the next night.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank JnS1410
St. Augustine, Florida
“great place to go to feed teens with a never ending appetite”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The amount of food you are given is astronomical. Soup, salad, shrimp, rice, main dish, vegetables.... It is a carnal festival. My teen is a huge fan, and actually gets full there. I am not such a huge fan. The food always gives me immediate stomach disorder. I ordered the calamari last night and it was really really bad. So chewy and actually crunchy. I do NOT recommend the seafood there. Stick to the meats. I only return when my teen gets to choose a restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
Hastings, Florida
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was so disappointed with the service and the food at this restaurant. We did not get our appetizer until AFTER our check was ready to be paid and the server happened to realize it had been missed. The chef lit the griddle on fire in front of me and it felt like he tried to set me on fire. We had to physically move back as far as we could and it still felt very hot. My steak was completely forgotten. We were with a group of 10 people and I just got missed. When we told the chef about the steak he yelled for the "waitress". I feel like he rushed the cooking of my steak to make up for lost time. I ordered it medium/well. It arrived hard and shriveled on the outside and kind of bloody tasting inside. If I remember correctly the chef had to yell for the server at least once or twice to remind her to bring us drinks. My husband asked for a second drink from the server and she apparently forgot it. He reminded her and when she finally did bring a drink she tried to take his other drink (beer... charged by the drink) away. I think he asked her three or four times for a "to go" box. The server had several wounds on her wrist that was open to air... no bandages. I believe that is a state health violation. Then, to top it all off, we weren't even asked about our service just billed a mandatory gratuity of 20% because we were with a large group. Of course, if you happen to NOT receive an itemized list of what you're being charged for, you might not realize it and pay another TIP in the provided space.

• Visited June 2013
“Great service. Bad sushi”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Servers were friendly and accommodating, but we were very disappointed in the food. The hotel front desk recommended restaurant, so we were looking forward to it. Rolls came out extremely fast, but all 4 of our selections were bland at best.