“Wonderful Food !”
Review of Collage Restaurant

Collage Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Collage Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 590 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: When dining at Collage, be prepared for a first-class, award-winning experience. The menu reflects the eclectic tastes of owners Mike Hyatt and Cindy Stangby and focuses on fresh local seafood, steaks, lamb, and veal, using international flavor profiles. Located just a block off of St. George Street in the heart of the historic district, Collage serves dinner nightly from 5:30 p.m.
Panama City, Panama
“Wonderful Food !”
Reviewed December 12, 2007

Finally checked this place out and I highly recommend it for fine dining in the Old City. Located on Hypolita between Cordova and St. George Street, Collage is a small intimate restaurant. I sampled the pork tenderloin and I mean it, it was "melt in the mouth" - some of the best pork I have ever had. Also experienced the red thai curry shrimp which was large and tasty. The ahi tuna with wasabi salad accompanying it was superb. The owner came out and spoke with all the diners, and he is very friendly and cares about doing a good job. Next time in the Old City, give this restaurant a try - (it is located where La Parisenne used to be).

4 Thank LN

New Hampshire
“Excellent Dinner!”
Reviewed September 9, 2007

My wife and I had dinner here on Thursday, Aug 30. The restaurant has geat ambience, from the nice walkway to recessed entrance to the warm, subdued elegance of the dining room. Our waitperson was a young student from the local college, very enthusiastic and attentive. The wine list was not huge but definitely adequate to the occasion. After taking our order and opening our wine, we were given a nice basket of delicious crusty bread. My wife and I shared two appetizers, one was a delicious carrot soup and the other a tuna sashimi. Both were excellent, both in taste and in presentation. My wife's ordered the salmon entree from the menu and I ordered the grouper, which was a special. Both meals were outstanding. Total cost for our meals was $130 including an average priced Pinot Grigio, two appetizers, two entrees, tax, and tip was @130. Not inexpensive, but well worth the price.

8 Thank freesteaming
Coral Springs, Florida
“One very fine restaurant.”
Reviewed September 7, 2007

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in St. Augustine. We had some very good dinners out one being at the Collage. We were seated by the owners Mother and she was very pleasant. Our waitress was very attentive especially when she found out it was our wedding anniversary. The food was excellent. We chose to skip the appetizers and when the bread came...it was so good, served with pesto butter and a lovely bulb of roasted garlic. Then came the fresh salad with nice baby greens. We had a bottle of wine and we both had Steaks, different sauces to pick from. I would not call this restaurant French. They had linens on the table which to us is a plus. I don't like when there is plastic or paper OVER the linen table cloths. It just does not cut it for us. When we are paying top dollar for our meals then there should not be any short cuts as far as the linens go. The dessert was on the house for our anniversary, which was a nice touch. Go you will love this little place.

3 Thank 90465
Indian Shores, Florida
“A Huge Disappointment”
Reviewed September 2, 2007

After looking forward to dining at Collage with great anticipation based on the reviews I read on this site, I left feeling disappointed and vastly underwhelmed after having dinner there last weekend. The restaurant's ambience is lovely and warm, and I felt very optimistic as we were ushered to our table that I had chosen wisely for our "Big Night Out" on our romantic weekend getaway to St. Augustine. When our waitperson approached, I got a little worried...she was a college student who appeared to be about 19, who was not only unable to discuss the wine list with any knowledge whatsoever, but told my husband that the wine he ordered was not on their winelist (it was, and he had to get the list back and prove it to her).

I was still feeling optimistic about the food when the bread came...it was just about perfect, and was served with pesto butter and a lovely caramelized bulb of roasted garlic. Very nice. My appetizer dish of escargot with mushrooms and cognac cream sauce was also tasty, but things went downhill after that. The best thing about my warmed goat cheese salad was the lone macademia-encrusted goat cheese ball perched atop it. The rest of the salad was unspectacular to say the least...and the browned butter cider vinaigrette was bland and uneventful. My "lobster" ravioli consisted of three ravioli pieces topped with an overwhelmingly herbaceous sauce and adorned with 6-8 shrimp and a bite or two of lobster. One of the special dessert offerings made me think that the dinner could still be salvaged...Apple Pistachio Bread Pudding (bread pudding is my absolute fave), but this wasn't even done well enough to ratchet my heart rate up. It was not dense, moist, and heavy as bread pudding should be, but rather fell apart into still-springy bread cubes on my plate.

My three dining partners were also uniformly disappointed in their meals...and we are all food and wine junkies who love good food and will try (and enjoy) almost anything. The food (for the most part) simply didn't convey that enough love and thought had been put into it...at least not for $100+ per head. I also expect more seasoned service in a restaurant of this ilk...and, while our waitperson was enthusiastic and tried hard, she knew nothing about food or wine. For the price stucture commanded by this restaurant, I expect more.

11 Thank sweetpolly13
collageowner, owner at Collage Restaurant, responded to this review, September 6, 2007
I'm sorry your experience was not up to par. We are a very small restaurant and we take every critique, and every compliment, seriously.

You made some some good points, some of which I have been trying to fix for a while. Your server that night was one of our newer ones and, although she is hard-working and enthusiastic, she is still learning about wine. Normally she would not have been working on a busy night but we had one of our "A-teamers" on vacation. She does need more training, and she'll get it.

I felt your were a little harsh on some other things. As far as the food, you slammed two of our best selling dishes. You might not have liked them, but when we tried to change the lobster ravioli (we like to change our menu on a regular basis) we got so many requests from regular customers that we had to put the dish back on.

You did find some things to compliment about the restaurant, and I appreciate that. If you decide to visit St Augustine again, and if you are willing to try Collage again, please let me know. I will make sure your experience is positive. You can contact me through our website. Any other TripAdvisor members are welcome to do so also.
Memphis, Tennessee
“Our best dining experience in Saint Augustine”
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We took a chance on this place on the evening of our anniversary, during our first trip to Saint Augustine. We were staying at a local B&B and the owner did not know a lot about the place since it had changed owners, and it was not in any of the guide books (except in its former incarnation as a French restaurant). We had walked past it several times on the way back to the B&B and thought it looked lovely and the menu was intriguing, so we gave it a try. It was fantastic! My husband had a steak and I had the lobster ravioli. It was the best lobster ravioli that I have ever had, with huge lobster tails on top and chunks of lobster meat inside the ravioli, plus large shrimp, all in a tasty pesto sauce. Absolutely wonderful. The wine list was first rate as well, as was the service. Give it a try--you will not be disappointed!

5 Thank Rockawaygirl