“Beautiful hotel, horrible food and service”
Review of Costa Brava

Costa Brava
Reserve with OpenTable
Costa Brava is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #181 of 600 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: King
Description: Enter Costa Brava through hand painted gold leaf Moroccan arches into the elegance and allure of Costa Brava Restaurant. Polish casual dining with a southern Bohemian influence. Focusing on fresh local seafood and eccentric tapas.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We made reservations for a dinner on our honeymoon at the suggestion of a friend who had gone here a few years ago. What a mistake! When I made the reservation, they asked if it was a special occasion, and I explained it was our honeymoon, so it would be nice if we could have a corner (or even quiet) table. When we arrived, at five mins to 8, we were told the 7:30 reservations had not yet arrived, so we'd have to wait in the (overcrowded) bar. We finally managed to get drinks at the bar after 20 mins or so, we'd been sitting for another 10 mins when the hostess found us to take us to our table. However, they could not carry the bar tab to our table, so we had to find someone in the bar area to pay for the drinks...
Once we paid, we followed the waitress to our table, which was up against a large pillar in the main aisle leading out of the kitchen. There were a lot of tables empty, including the corner table directly behind me. By this time, I just wanted to get seated and get drinks, so I did not ask about a better table (yes, my mistake). After about 10 mins, the waiter came up, looked at the table said "oh good, you have drinks already. I see you have the menus, everything it pretty clear, I'll be back for your order in a few mins", and walked away.
Still trying to put a good face on the night, we decided to order. We settled on steaks. I got the filet with horseradish mashed potatoes, and my husband ordered the Strip with Asiago truffle oil fries.
Once the food arrived, which took way too long (our drinks were gone and our water had been filled twice), and the disappointment continued. I have gotten better filets at Longhorn. The meat was actually tough. I had to saw at it to cut it, and it was very chewy. My husband's steak was slightly better, but the fries were literally in a big cheesy clump, which were hardly edible.
The waiter came over finally to ask if we needed any more drinks, and my husband ordered a glass of wine. After 20 mins, and by which time we'd finished eating, the waiter came back to let us know he hadn't forgotten the wine, but they were out at the waiter station, so he had to go to the bar (which he had not done)...my husband cancelled the drink order and I asked for the check.
I wouldn't recommend this restaurant. I'm not sure how they got the great ratings I've seen. The waitstaff looked like a bunch of high school kids and the majority of them spent the time we were there clustered in the corner in front of the door to the kitchen, looking around and talking to each other while the customers waited for them.

2  Thank A C
Allen L, Manager at Costa Brava, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for your candid response. We are glad to have had a very busy holiday season and the vast majority of the time we are able to exceed our guests expectations. Regrettably we sometimes do miss the mark and do not provide the levels of experience that we strive for. I am also glad that we were able to hold your reservations until you arrived and accomodate the seating as soon as possible. We will review the quality of our steaks with the source and make whatever changes are neccessary to ensure the highest quality. We do employ experienced staff none of whom are "high school kids". Hopefully judgment of age does not determine the dining experience as we train all of our staff diligently.
Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We loved everything about this awesome retaurant. Yes, it was pricey but we felt we got what we paid for. We enjoyed the Christmas buffet. Piles of steaming crab legs with drawn butter, oysters on the half shell, deluxe carving station, deserts galore were only a few of the selections offered--and all well prepared. When the bill came, we were delighted that our champagne WITH REFILLS! was complimentary! The Moorish atmosphere was gorgeous.

Thank you for your wonderful review. We do enjoy the holidays here in St. Augustine and are glad that you enjoyed our Grand Buffet. We hope to see you again soon!
Thank you!

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner at 95 Cordova over an extremely busy weekend in St Augustine. Most restaurants were jam packed as was this one. The difference was they accommodated us graciously unlike the rude turn downs at some other spots.

The restaurant is located in the Casa Monaco hotel which is in the heart of the downtown area. We were seated promptly and our waiter arrived immediately to take our orders and help with the menu. We shared the fried green tomatoes to start and they were delicious. The tomatoes were firm with a crisp batter and topped off with chopped red tomatoes, warm Gorgonzola and a drizzle of lemon-oil-cilantro dressing.

My wife's grilled sea bass was perfectly done, ample in size and presented on a mound of mashed potatoes accompanied by asparagus. I had the lobster tail with crabmeat risotto which were delicious though the lobster was slightly tougher than I prefer. All in all it was an enjoyable meal with a feel of being served in Old World surroundings.

Allen L, Manager at Costa Brava, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you so much for the kind review. We at 95 Cordova pride ourselves on offering the best experience possible here in St. Augustine no matter how busy it may become. You were keen to order the items you mentioned as they are among our most popular and well received. The Sea Bass we present is the best available and we have great experience preparing it.
We will have a new menu in Spring as well as an update planned for the fall as well.
We do appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

They close too early most nights, unless you get room service which is much pricier. Great food, small portions. Nice bar, lots of walk ins off the the street though, especially the bathrooms in the lobby.

Allen L, Manager at Costa Brava, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We will review our closing hours for the restaurant however we do serve food in the lounge until 11:00pm each evening and we are always happy to serve later on request. We are fortunate to have a wonderful facility and a great staff.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been here many times, a loyal customer 4-5 times per year when u visit Saint Augustine. This time however I was disappointed. In the bar the cheeseburger was charred! The waitress was less than knowledgable and dessert took forever. Not to mention I was informed that Creme brûlée is no longer on the menu, permanently. This is a shame because I have now skipped dessert entirely. When I think of a high class restaurant it goes hand in hand with Creme brûlée!

Allen L, Manager at Costa Brava, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We will work with our lounge staff to improve their knowledge as well as to empower them to prevent service of substandar products. We are sorry that you were disappointed that Creme Brulee is not available any longer. With your comments we will reconsider the item. It has been very successful in the past so look (and ask) for it in the future and you may be pleasantly surprised to see its return.