“Not All That”

O'Steen's Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 583 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Not All That”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have heard so much about this restaurant that we decided to try for a birthday dinner. It was in July 2012 and we had to wait 2 hours to get in. There is an antique store next door where you can spend some of your time waiting. Other than that you had to sit on the curb next to the antique store. There were benches but they were in the sun. Who wants to sit in the sun in Florida in July. Once inside I was surprised at how small the restaurant is. The food was not all that. The shrimp was good but waiting two hours just was not worth it. My family still speaks about the terrible wait and the food that was not waiting for. Would I go there if I did not have a 2 hour wait, probably, but not for any kind of wait over 45 min.

• Visited July 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
“Order the Shrimp”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Well it has been a month and I am still thinking of the shrimp, so I must share with y'all. This is casual, great "hole in the wall" type of vibe. We waited outside for a table for about 4 minutes. In that time Rusty came to the pick up window. I asked him what I should order and told me the shrimp. Normally I would not order fried shrimp, but thank goodness I know when to take advice. The best I have ever had. Not oily, just pure perfection. The rest of the meal was great too. We shared a pie. Pie was great, but the best crust ever! Amazing food and good local people. Don't miss the goodness.

• Visited November 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Great Local Diner w/Great Shrimp But NO Credit Cards-Cash Only!”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

O'Steen's is a small diner where the locals eat and has been around forever! My favorite is the fried shrimp, caught locally and served lightly breaded and butterflied with a pink sauce for dipping. In my opinion O'Steen's has some of the best shrimp around! Shrimp can be ordered in portions of 6, 9 and 12 along with two sides. For desert I especially like the coconut pie - yum! Be sure to bring cash because O'Steen's DOES NOT take credit cards!
Depending on what time of day/night you go you there may be a wait but there are benches and a waiting area outside. Enjoy!

• Visited December 2012
Waycross, Georgia
“Not impressed”
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I really wanted to like O'Steens but it just wasn't that great. Almost everything is fried. I love fried fish but I've had much better for a lot cheaper. This seems like the place to go but this will be my last visit.

“Great southern seafood”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

No better fried shrimp anywhere - except my house. Be prepared to wait up to two hours if you come late on a busy night