“Great find be ready to wait it's worth it”

O'Steen's Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 597 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed November 17, 2012

What a treasure, especially if you like breaded shrimp as they have the best I've eaten. They do not take reservations or credit cards so come early or wait to eat as it is a small dining area with great food. The fish was also great and the service friendly and efficient.

There are newer reviews for O'Steen's Restaurant

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We tried O'Steens based on TripAdvisor and several friends' recommendations. No doubt about it, O'Steens is great. Whatever the atmosphere lacks, the food makes up for it. Staff & mgmt are friendly and efficient. Manager worked our party of 2 ahead of the line.

I ordered the flounder from the broiled menu with two healthier sides. So the only fried items with the meal were the hushpuppies. I love fried flounder, but you DO have a choice at O'Steens..
BTW, the large portion of flounder was super.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We ate here based on recommendations from a friend since we wanted to get some fried oysters while in St. Augustine. My husband and I ordered fried shrimp and fried oysters since I had read the reviews about the fried shrimp. The fried oysters were good but the fried shrimp was delicious and definitely the best fried shrimp we've ever had. The server was wonderful and such a sweetheart! The service was great. We went before 5 p.m. so were able to get seated with no wait. We'll definitely go back there for the fried shrimp if we're back in the area!

Reviewed November 10, 2012

The absolute best shrimp ever. I'm not a fan of fried food, but these shrimp had such a light batter and were so fresh I didn't mnd that they were fried. We went there for a late lunch, so didn't have much of a wait. We had been told that it was small and sometimes a long wait for a table. Even if that is the case, it would be worth the wait. No credit cards, cash only, but the food was great and the service was excellent also. Highly recommend this local favorite!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

After reviewing some of the Tripadvisor ratings of this restaurant, we decided to give O´Steens a try. We were instantly hooked on the excellent seafood...Fried shrip to die for!!!
It is definitely a local secret and worth the wait. It is a rather unspectacular location and you have to look for it to not miss it. But once there, you are in culinary heaven.
Service is great, prices are good and you have a lot of daily changing side options to go with your entree. My favorite is the 9 piece shrimp with corn bread, cole slaw and okra.
Every time we are in St. Augustine now, we will be back several times.

As others have stated before: CASH ONLY!! And come early for lunch and dinner!! NO reservations.