“Could be better”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The setting is great, with this old fisherman shack style. A real atmosphere. Service is nice. But food is just ok, nothing very special, not so tasty, considering the price. I would recommend them to improve the quality, considering the special setting they have. And it's pretty remote from St Augustine, so people could expect more... It's a putty, cause it would be perfect for special occasions, but I'm hesitating to recommend it...

Date of visit: December 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,300)

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is definitely a can't miss if your in this area of Florida. We saw a billboard and thought neat name lets try it out. What a stroke of luck! The Salt Water Cowboy is set on a marshy spot on the river, I mean your surrounded by the marsh very cool, the decor is an old beat up fishing cabin but very nice, even the chairs are rustic. The menu is full of great items, and they must pull the shrimp out of the ocean and cook them they are so fresh. Fresh Shrimp, fish, and BBQ! We went around 5 and had no trouble finding a table with little waiting time. The staff is friendly, knowledgable, and very accommodating. My one son finished his meal with a piece of key lime pie which he says is the best he has had. Great spot, go and make a night of it!

1  Thank OntarioFundaddy
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I ate here three weeks ago and got up and left it was so bad, see previous review in November for that bad experience. However we returned, faithful followers and had a great meal. In fact, better than great. What a change three weeks made. Server was very attentive, brought items we asked for quickly and checked on us each time he was near the table waiting on someone else. The food came out quickly, was delicious and right temperature. I had blackened fish with grits and hush puppies. I have not had really good hush puppies in a long time, until now. What a difference three weeks makes.

Date of visit: December 2012
Reviewed December 9, 2012

the place is in the right place for the sunset
the food was disappointing,the coconut shrimp very grease and burned and the other regular s hrimp too
if you go enjoy the view and the drinks

Date of visit: November 2012
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Saltwater Cowboys is one of the restaurants in St. Augustine described in Jane and Michael Stern's "Roadfood". The restaurant is located on a saltwater marsh facing west and thus would be an ideal location to watch the sunset. The decor is Florida country with wood lattice chairs made of tree branches. There are fishing nets hanging from the ceiling and stuffed alligators mounted on the walls. Drinks are served in Mason jars.

We started with an appetizer of fried alligator tail. This was followed by a house salad which had sliced apples, nuts, raisins with a house dressing which was excellent. We were also served a large portion of very tasty cheese bread which was mentioned in "Roadfood". I ordered a combo plate with grilled mahi mahi, four shrimp, four scallops and deviled crab. The service was excellent and our drinks were refreshed multiple times. Our food came out very rapidly.

Overall, I would recommend Saltwater Cowboys for a casual family seafood dinner.

Date of visit: November 2012