“Couldn't Believe How Good Indian / Mediterranean Food Can Be!”

Namaste Indian Restaurant
Ranked #196 of 593 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Shish Kabab Mediterranean restaurant has recently changed menu's, from Mediterranean food to Indian food. We are now Namaste Indian Tandoori Food. Each dish is made to order with favorerful spices. We believe you will be pleased with our change, and look forward to serving you soon.
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Couldn't Believe How Good Indian / Mediterranean Food Can Be!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I walked into the restauraunt on business and before I knew it the owner sat me down to share me his Indian food. What I had eaten opened my culinary pallet to a whole new food experience. I sat down and enjoyed a fresh buffet full of exotic flavors my mouth has never experienced before. The first visit I made three refill trips to the grilled chicken (leg, thigh and breast). The chicken was very flavorful, tender and juicy. A nice flavor my grill could never match. The vegetables (broccoli, beans) looked very colorful and I enjoyed the nice freshness and flavor. I then received a warm soft pita bread with which I scooped the ground beef, chicken and rice into. The beef looked like it had cinnamon sticks simmering in the juices. The beef had a nice flavor that tasted really good. Not too spicy but rather a nice flavor combo. The beef had a good Curry flavor choice is what I guess I should say. If you like good curry and subtle spices this place has it. There is a sauce as well that you can use to really heat up your experience. Because I was new to this food I declined to use this spice factor.
I have had white rice from what I thought everywhere and never noticed a difference in quality and flavor as I had here. The rice seemed to be a bit longer and less dense then rice I've gotten at Chinese or Spanish restaurants. Like pasta I now know rice can be different and better when cooked properly. I know its just rice, but it was the best rice I have ever eaten.
Lastly my grandmother used to make us rice pudding during family picnics along with lots of other goodies. The rice pudding from the buffet was so good I made not one but three trips to refill my bowl. Listen, this rice pudding has everything us sweet tooth lovers love without the guilt. Creamy, cool, soft, crunchy and damn good is how I describe this delight. The flavors range from a nice sweet vanilla flavor to a milky crunchy coconut flavor. The pieces of coconut give the pudding a nice snap as you chew. I think it has raisins in the pudding for another added texture. Whatever that is adds another great flavor. I will be stopping by just to get a to-go container full of rice pudding. I am getting hungry now just typing this. Anyways this place is very clean and the owner and all his employees are very friendly. At $9.55 this all you can eat buffet will fill your every flavor experience. The buffet makes subtle changes daily but each new item has been very good, I have now eaten the buffet twice to get a feel for the food, but now I think its time to see what the full menu has to offer.
I hope everyone can enjoy their first Indian food experience as well as I have. If you choose this place I can assure you will not be dissapointed.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Timothy D

Gainesville, Florida
“Lunch”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Have been there for linch and dinner. A little tough to find across from St Augustine mall on US 1. Always clean and comfortable. Owners are always friendly and accommodating. Aroma on entry is amazing. Buffet is wonderful but slightly limited. Will certainly go back.

1 Thank Steven K
Pennsylvania
“Outstanding! Best in St. Augustine!!!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

This quaint restaurant is by far the best food in St Augustine. Delicious Greek and Indian food prepared fresh every day. Both the menu and the buffet are exquisite. The salads are terrific, the spinach pies are the best anywhere, and the shush kabob and all traditional entrees are delicious. Great atmosphere, family owned and committed to customer satisfaction.
You will become a regular as we have. Prices are superb and the portions are plentiful. Enjoy!

1 Thank travelinman47
Weston, Florida
“A delightful surprise in St. Ausgutine!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Just had lunch at this place. A little apprehensive at first, looking at the Indian and Mediterranean offering however I had read good reviews about the place. The food was great! if you like Indian food the buffet a must! we ordered some appetizers for the table, some of us ordered the Indian buffet and others the gyros. We all loved our food, we can say this is the best food we have had at a restaurant in St. Augustine in all the 13 summers we have been coming to this town. very clean and excellent service. The hostess is a very nice lady with a beautiful smile!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Marucha J
St. Augustine, Florida
“Bad night?”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

When we walked in at 7:00 p.m., there were a handful of tables occupied by people having dinner. Every single other table in the main dining area was just sitting there with the spoils of previous diners' meals. Plates, bowels, silverware, beer bottles and wine glasses littered the landscape as far as the eye could see. My stomach did a little flip flop. We stayed and had a couple of decent gyros in the buffet area, but the visual ruined the experience. Doubt we'll go back.

Visited July 2014