“learned alot, hope to do it again!”
Review of Shutterguide Tours

Shutterguide Tours
Ranked #44 of 117 Tours in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn how to take incredible photographs in beautiful downtown St. Augustine. You will be guided by professional local photographers who will work with you to capture the unique vistas of downtown, while learning the historical facts and stories that accompany each location. This two-hour walking tour will insure that you will see, learn and photograph the best of the nation's Oldest City without spending an entire weekend searching for them on your own!
Inverness, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“learned alot, hope to do it again!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Tour guide Melanie was very friendly and knowledgeable. Taught us many techniques and information about our cameras and about photography. She answered many questions intelligently and patiently, regardless of a person's skill level. She was engaging, and showed an interest in each of the people on the tour, asking where they were from, and making sure they were comfortable on our tour. We definitely plan to come back and take one of this company's other tours! Thank you for a great afternoon.

Visited June 2013
andy b, Owner at Shutterguide Tours, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Melanie said she had a great time with your group. I am really excited that you enjoyed it and hope to see you again on one of our other great tours.

Homewood, Alabama
“Fun and Informative! I would so do this again!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had the pleasure of getting to take a tour with Melanie. She was a great guide and I would highly recommend her and shutterguide to anyone, Local or visiter, who would like to learn more about photography. Being a photography tour it's key that your guide be able to assist with camera function along with being able to explain to lesson at each stop along the tour. Melanie did so with ease. There were point and shoot cameras and DSLR's on the tour and she was able to easily guide it's owner through the needed steps to learn the new skill we were focusing on. At each stop Melanie was not only knowledgable about the photography but the items and areas we were looking at whether it be the Bridge of Lions or Treasury Street. I had a great time and even tried to use some of the lessons and skills the next day while touring El Galeón.

I am looking forward to my next visit where I plan take the "Off The Beaten Path Tour" and then again during the holiday season for the "Nights of Lights Tour". I was very impressed and I hope you will consider to taking a tour and meeting some great folks along the way.

Visited May 2013
andy b, Owner at Shutterguide Tours, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
It was great having you on the tour. We really enjoyed the photos you posted on Facebook. I am really excited you enjoyed how Melanie guided. She is such an amazing photographer and teacher. One of the qualities we look for in a guide is their ability to teach what they know in a humble way. Knowing that people typically dont care what you know until they know that you care. I think Melanie embodies that well..

Look forward to having you on the "Night of Lights" tour and "Off the beaten path" tour.

Cheers
“One beautiful, very informational, and FUN Tour of St Augustine”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My mother and I had the pleasure of taking the Shutterguide Tour of St Augustine. Not only did we learn a ton about photography methods and about our cameras and the thousands of modes and features, but we also learned about St Augustines history along the way. The tour guide was very knowledgeable in photography and history and was a pleasure to listen to. Most tours are fun while they last, this tour will be forever because you get to take what you learned and apply it in your own ways with your photography. I recommend this tour to anyone looking to broaden their photography skills all while walking the streets of the gorgeous town of St Augustine. It really was the most memorable thing I have done in any city. Plus I have amazing pictures to refer to!!

Visited May 2013
andy b, Owner at Shutterguide Tours, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Jeff,

Great pictures you posted. I really like the way you edited them! We look forward to having you on another tour soon. We are about to launch two more tours. One is seasonal and is called "Nights of Lights" and the other one is called "Off the beaten path" and it will be year round. Look forward to seeing you again!

Jacksonville, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Entertaining, Educational & Picturesque Tour of St. Augustine”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

GREAT tour of St. Augustine. My (adult) cousins were lucky enough to receive this tour as a gift! We traveled from Jacksonville to St. Augustine the afternoon of March 3, 2013 to take this tour as our own little group.

Educational....informative....captivating and entertaining tour of downtown St. Augustine. Our guides were exceptional and very patient with out mixed level of experience. A delicious cup of hot chocolate from the coffee shop/meet up location was a great way to start on a chilly day.

I would list all of the stops, but I may not recall their exact names...here's my attempt at remembering the major stops: Bridge of Lions, Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, 'the' hill at the fort, Gates to the City (entrance to St. George Street), oldest houses still lived in, Treasury Street, the Public Market, Lightner Museum and Flagler College.

We covered a variety of lessons in a relatively short amount of time. The guides were prepared with formally prepared teaching compents and presented the topics in a casually and comfortable manner. The amount of patience was astounding. Those of us who are novices did not feel overwhelmed, and I believe a more experienced amatuer would have also been intrigued and felt the tour was very worthwhile.

In addition to historical topics that were shared, we learned the covered the following technical topics: perspective, depth of field, changing apeture settings, light/metering, shutter speed, dealing with backlighting issues, etc.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this tour. I have already recommended it to friends and I will more than likely attend again myself.

Visited March 2013
andy b, Owner at Shutterguide Tours, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Christie,

I am soo glad you and your family had a great time. Melanie (the tour guide) said she had a blast with you all. Even though it was freezing it seemed like everyone enjoyed the city and learned to take some fun photos. Also, I love the photos you posted! We look forward to having you again on a Shutterguide tour..

p.s. We are almost completed with a really fun tour called "Off the beaten path".. This is a really fun one as well..

St. Augustine, Florida
“Photo tour with the pros!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I, along with our three children (ages 5, 8, & 10), took a Shutterguide Tour in downtown St. Augustine. We found the tour a welcome alternative to the more traditional modes of seeing and remembering this beautiful city. Here are a few reasons that we would highly recommend this particular tour:
- Walking - we loved being active together as a family and exploring the quaint thoroughfares among the locals (and tourists!). The kids enjoyed expending some energy as well! (TIP: there are public restrooms along the way).
- Photography Instruction suitable for the pro and the rookie - with the helpful eye and technical expertise of our personable guide, my wife used her Nikon D60 to capture stunning shots of our city. Also, I have an untrained eye and little photography experience, but our guide ensured that I had optimal vantage points and proper settings -- proof was in the pictures. (TIP: make sure you charge your camera/smart phone batteries prior to the tour. Our Nikon battery died, but we switched to an iPhone and still had fantastic results).
- History - our guide gave us unique and reliable insights to the landmarks we were shooting. Our photos actually tell a story which makes them even more meaningful.
- Pace - our guide didn't rush the group nor did the tour seem to lag at any point. (TIP: at about 2 hours in duration you may want to pack a snack if you have kiddos).

We so enjoyed our afternoon with Shutterguide Tours and are confident in recommending it to you as well.

Visited November 2012
andy b, Owner at Shutterguide Tours, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Greg,

We really loved having the kids on the tour with you and your wife and the other guests. We try and offer a tour that is fun and enjoyable for all age-groups and skill levels. I do agree that having an extra set of batteries is a good thing. Thanks for going on a Shutterguide tour!!