“Don't expect service”

Villagio Bar and Grill
Ranked #285 of 593 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Villagio Italian Grille, located inside The Renaissance World Golf Village Resort. Farm to fork fresh right to your table. Indigenous, independent, and indulging. Great food, great atmosphere and great service.
Bismarck
“Don't expect service”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stopped by the previous day and told no reservations needed for the following night. Showed up, tons of empty tables and informed they were all reserved. Rudely told we could order in the bar, sat down and no one waited on us for 20 minutes, in fact didn't see any servers. We left so can't rate the food.

• Visited February 2013
Ian G, Manager at Villagio Bar and Grill, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to share your problem with us so we can work on improving immediately. I am troubled that you had to experience these service flaws and can promise that these issues are far from typical of the Villagio. We strive to be one of the best in the serving industry and I will work hard to use these comments to train the staff, from the host to the servers, everyone will improve to avoid this happening again!

If you are in the Northeast Florida area again I hope that you decide to give us another try so we can show you exactly who we typically are!

Yorktown, VA
“Excellent hotel restaurant”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This very nice restaurant is tucked into a corner of the lobby in the World Golf Village Renaissance. The atmosphere is warm and dark, with plush furnishings and many comfortable booths. Service was friendly, though a little on the slow side.
While waiting for our entrees, we were served a basket of delicious, crusty bread with 4 different flavors of dipping oil. My zuppa di pesce was full of fresh fish chunks and shellfish in a flavorful light tomato broth with linguini. My husband enjoyed his lobster ravioli with shrimp and cream sauce. Both entrees featured a crispy parmesan galette, so yummy. It was fairly expensive, so we only ate there once during our 4 night stay in the hotel.

Naperville, Illinois, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolute Perfection”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

From the Breakfast buffet to the room service everything was absolute perfection. You have to try the tomato bisque it is the best I have ever had. They provide the perfect bread to go with the 4 types of oil they bring to the table at dinner.

What I was most impressed with was the room service. They bring the food up on a cart that folds out into a round table. The food is presented every bid as beautifully is it is in the dinning room, and special requests are not a problem. Definitely the best room service I have ever experienced.

1 Thank MichaelKappel
“Constantly bad service”
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Ive been coming here for conferences for several years.They have a large harvest table in the bar area and I usually open a tab for my customers and partners. Time after time the service is terrible. Servers do not help each other, and they will walk back and forth avoiding eye contact when people are waiting to order or have empty glasses. The bar tenders always seem rushed and rarely make it out to the tables. The drinks are weak and over priced.

The food is hit or miss. Some is very very good, some OK. We had flat breads last night that were hot and fresh, and one today that was cold and soggy. The calamari was awesome, the ahi tuna Dissapointing.

All in all, I wish the conference would change venues to someplace that appreciates the business.

Ian G, Manager at Villagio Bar and Grill, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
I am personally very sorry that you did not receive the level of service that you expect and deserve. I will take every opportunity to train our bar staff and servers to make sure this does not happen again. At Villagio and the Renaissance World Golf Village we strive to give over the top service and it is dissapointing that we missed out on an opportunity to do that. We will work hard to make sure we have the best customer service around if you are ever in the area again make sure that everyone in the party leaves happy.

San Diego, California
“Atrocious service. Utter chaos. Mediocre food.”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I had breakfast a couple of mornings at the Villagio while we stayed at the Renaissance hotel in which the restaurant is located. The restaurant only offers a buffet breakfast and the food is not much to speak of -- just barely above the level of the breakfast offered at budget motels by the highway.

What accounts for my low rating almost entirely is that the morning scene at the Villagio is completely chaotic. Even though there is a hostess desk where presumably one checks in to get seated (as we did on the first morning), hordes of people just walked in and took tables without any interest from the waitstaff or the manager to supervise what was going on. On the second day, we just gave up in disgust and went to get coffee and a bagel at the coffee shop. We came back the third morning which was marginally more organized than the first.

After we were seated, we waited about 10 minutes but our waitress walked around with the 1000 yard stare barely acknowledging us. When we asked another waiter to remind her that we had asked for coffee, she got mad at him. We got service slowly and begrudgingly. I wish I could say that this waitress was the only bad apple. We overheard others complaining about service as well.

We will neither return to the Renaissance hotel nor to Villagio any time soon.

• Visited December 2012
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on the Villagio Italian Grille. I am personally apologetic for the negative experiences you and your wife encountered when dining with us. There should be someone at the host stand at all times to greet the guests and show them to their table. I will take this opportunity to re-train the staff and supervisors to assure improvement. We strive to be the best in the industry and will work hard to make it that way.

If you are ever in the North East Florida area again we would be delighted to have you as our guests and give you that over the top experience.