“Excellent food / excellent service”

Jaybird's Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 590 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated. Voted Best Breakfast in St. Augustine. Full Bar, Wine, great selections of beers on tap, featured IPA on tap. Appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers, wraps, wings, hand-tossed pizza, pasta, fish, homemade desserts. Indoor or outdoor seating. Hours of operation - Open 7 days a week: Breakfast 7:00 am - 2:00 pm Lunch 10:30 am - 2:00 pm
Hamilton, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food / excellent service”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We visited the Jaybird's Restaurant for the first time in the spring of this year. We were very happy with the quality of food they serve and also the friendly and helpful staff. It is a good place to do when visiting St. Augustine. The cost of the food is very reasonable.

Visited November 2013

• Slovak first
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great new addition to area!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

A hearty welcome to Jaybird's to the St. Augustine casual dining scene. Jaybird's offers what people want: good food at good prices, in generous portions, with good service, in a comfortable environment. There is plenty of parking (an issue in St. Augustine!) and dining is offered both inside and in a lovely outdoor area/garden. There is also a separate small area inside (a little café) where you can enjoy desserts. Jaybird's is open all day, and serves breakfast until 2PM. That is good news because a highlight of their menu is the crunchy French toast (the crunch provided by crushed cereal) served with warm fruit compote - and whipped cream if you want it! Sandwiches are delicious and quite large, with a good variety. The place offers something for everyone - families, couples, groups, singles......and plenty of choices for everyone. In addition, indoors is an amazing collection of photographs taken by the owner from all over the world.....a special treat! Jaybird's is a great new addition to the area dining scene!

1 Thank silverwings928
St. Augustine, Florida
“Find Any Other Place to Eat”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stopped here for lunch because I always like to give new places a try and it had gotten mixed reviews from friends. It was one of the worst lunches I've ever been served.

The "3 cheese quiche" bore no resemblance to quiche. It was an "egg pie with low-grade cheddar on top" and a clearly frozen crust. The fruit side was canned and the plate was garnished with some undressed wilted field greens whose function was unclear. My companion's mushroom ravioli was a sea of sauce slopped on the plate (out to the edges) with 4 or 5 almost unfrozen raviolis submerged therein.

The service was pleasant but clueless and apparently the wait staff has to wait for the manager to make a screwdriver. The atmosphere appeared to be unchanged from the site's former life as an IHOP. This is a restaurant that needs a complete make-over. And I'm sorry to have to write this, but I don't want anyone else to waste their time or money.

• Visited November 2013
Jaybirds2012, Owner at Jaybird's Restaurant, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
First I would like say I am sorry you had such a terrible experience at Jaybird's. I pulled your receipt which was easy to find and talked to all involved that day both front of the house and back of house. I felt I needed to respond as there are several incorrect statements/assumptions made in your review. We change our Quiche regularly and the 3 Cheese Quiche has been quite popular with other guests, it contains cheddar, gorgonzola and swiss cheese of high quality. Our Fruit Cup never has been nor will be made from a can. We use fresh Cantaloupe and Honeydew Melons, Fresh Pineapple and may include Fresh Bananas and Fresh Strawberries. The Raviolis are served with a homemade Tomato Rosa Sauce again most customers have loved. If they were frozen I would have hoped it was mentioned to the server at the time of service.
I am sorry your 2nd Screwdriver did not get made by our manager. I have spoken to the staff on how to handle down times when the bartender is not on duty. To say the sites atmosphere appeared to be the same as the former I-Hop is really the most puzzling of them all as we have completely overhauled the entire site from top to bottom winning 4 Best of St. Augustine awards this year, 2013 and a beautification award from the Garden Society of St. Augustine. We at Jaybird's would never knowingly want any guest to have a bad experience and I would personally invite you back to try us again and see what so many other guests love about us.
Florida
“Casual delicious food served by pleasant folks.”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Found this gem today looking of a quick convenient place to sit down and do an interview. I was expecting a Denny's kind of deal and was most pleasantly surprised. Attractive decor, neat, clean and the food was fantastic. The servers were very nice and super friendly. Home baked desserts finished the meal. Local artist wall art that was actually nice enough that I walked out with a piece of it.

Perfect setting for casual meals for visiting tourists and working people on their lunch hour.

Highly recommend!

St Augustine FL
“Two strikes you're out”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

First time I ate here at lunch. Service was super slow but food was good. This time, I wanted a light dinner and it was a convenient location. We were the only diners and service was good. Menu was quite expensive unless we wanted the lasagna special. We each had a small bowl of chili, very small plate of bread to share, and one tiny slice of apple pie - for a total of $21 before tip. The food was good, but you can get two entire dinners for that price in town. People at bar, which is in dining room, had had too much to drink and were sharing obscenities with each other. Not a very pleasant experience.

• Visited October 2013