“Great ribs but keep the yard bird”
Review of Mojo Old City BBQ

Mojo Old City BBQ
Ranked #25 of 602 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Worth the walk away from tourist territory and on to student turf. Stay away from the fancy cocktails and stick with the draft. Big open airy dining room, mostly empty (and quiet) on our visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,487)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The food is better than some but it is so terible noisy in there that we do not go there any more. There is nothing in the place to deaden the sound so you can hardly talk to the people at your table.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have visited 5 times over the last month and it has been outstanding everytime! The service is good, a little slow depending on the time you go but the food - awesome!! Live music several nights a week adds to the atomosphere. Saturday nights can tend to be a little like a college frat party so I would not recommend after 9pm on Saturdays.

You have to try the 'burnt ends' - melt in your mouth they are so tender! Great fried pickles with the perfect amount of spices. If you think black-eyed peas at a restaurant can't compare to homemade you will be sorry to miss this treat! Great happy hours also to try some local favorites on draft while you enjoy a great meal.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

On this visit I tried a couple items my family members had on raved about on our first visit. The Chicken Nacho was the best nacho I've ever had. The tomatoes in the nacho are smoked (I asked about the unusual sweet flavor) and were very tasty! The Kansas City Burnt Ends were wonderful, too.

My husband loved their special Mojo Bloody Mary!!

We moved out of the loud bar area and to a table near the kitchen. We asked our server about the loud "drumming noise" coming from the kitchen and were told that it was the Chef cutting up the meat in time to what it sounded like musical drumming. Once we asked the server, she must have mentioned it to the Chef and he toned it down a bit. We had a good laugh when we realized how talented the Chef was with his knife work.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I love barbecue and this is the best around. So many choices with delicious sides, everything is wonderful. Best appetizer, burnt ends, delicious pieces of tender brisket. I just tried the grilled salmon salad and it was wonderful too. They also make really good Mojito's and have a nice selection of beers.

During busy season and on weekends, call ahead for seating. If the weather is nice, request outside. It is much quieter and they have music on the weekend evenings.