“Perfect coffee spot! :)”
Review of The Kookaburra

The Kookaburra
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Aussie themed Coffee/Pie shop. Serving excellent Bold!Bean espresso and coffee, frozen frappes, specialty teas, and delicious Aussie meat pies and treats.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent this past weekend in St. Augustine, and since I couldn't just stop into my work or make myself a cup at home, I really wanted to find a good, local spot for my coffee. I've been a barista for years at -insert big popular coffee chain we all know here-, so I spend a lot of time with coffee. Things like cleanliness and friendliness go a long way with me, as of course the taste and quality of what I'm paying for. After having been very disappointed by another local coffee place in St. Augustine, we were just randomly walking around and exploring the little streets downtown and I saw the sign for The Kookaburra. I remember seeing the reviews here on TripAdvisor, and decided to give it a try. The guy and gal behind the counter (owners, perhaps?) were very welcoming, polite, and knowledgeable. I ordered a frozen cherry ripe (sans coconut...just not a fan of coconut), and it was THE BEST frozen coffee drink I've ever had. My boyfriend sipped some as well, and agreed that it was delicious. The Kookaburra absolutely made my morning! :) Will most definitely return next time we're in St. Augustine.

There are newer reviews for The Kookaburra

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stopped here for an afternoon coffee while being tourists in this town. Perfect, delicious coffee and superb Biscotti. Sat outside at the one table in the sun and totally enjoyed this experience. Must stop here. Other delights available.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stop here every day that I work downtown and have to say that they make one of the best Cappachinos I've had yet! The service and atmosphere are also excellent! Would highly recommend! The service is outstanding and the price is right!

1  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Friendly service and good cafe con leches. I have not had the food here but the coffee is good. A good place to go if you are walking by or in the area.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

im sorry to say but......with all the time i have spent in sydney, australia....i have never seen a meat pie such as the ones that were served to me here....we ordered 3 different pies to try them....they were nothing like Harry's Famous Pies Since 1945 in sydney, australia....
Harry's Café de Wheels is over 70 years old, and has maintained a tradition of daily fresh pies....
maybe The Kookaburra has americanized the food? we didnt try anything else on the menu....will stop in again on our next trip to st. augustine.....

TheKookaburraShop, Owner at The Kookaburra, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Hello pinkcadet,

Thank you for visiting The Kookaburra and for your feedback! Our pies are indeed different from those that you experienced at the iconic Harry's Cafe de Wheels in Sydney, which I myself have enjoyed many times. Ours are more stylized after the gourmet homemade pies found in areas around northern New South Wales and southern Queensland, where my family is concentrated.

Our pies are baked fresh (much like Harry's) by a local baker who lived in Melbourne, Victoria for a number of years and brought her own unique influences to our recipes. As we usually have several true blue Aussies come through each week for our pies and espresso, we've intentionally kept them as authentic as possible while adapting a bit for the to-go environment here in St. Augustine. We listen closely to our customer feedback, and have been very happy to have received an excellent response by both our Aussie and American customers.

I certainly hope you enjoy your next visit to The Kookaburra! Next time have a flat white or long black to accompany your pie, as we use organic fair trade coffee roasted fresh for us by Bold Bean Coffee our of Jacksonville. Again, I appreciate your feedback, and look forward to seeing you again!