“A great get-away-from home”

Inn at Camachee Harbor
Ranked #21 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I want to thank the innkeepers and staff for making my stay here one that i will never forget. I was glad to see that all the positive reviews i had read about the Inn at Camachee Harbor were more than true. I stayed in room 14 and loved it!! The king size bed was very comfy and the habor view i had was breath taking!! The Kingfish grille was awesome and the Fish Tales Market were i got my free breakfast was a cute little spot. I also liked the fact that downtown St. Augustine isn't very far from the inn. I purchased the trolley tour, which includes a 3 day pass and tour of the historic museum. All i had to do was parked my rental car at the old jail stop and hop on one to trolleys!! It was great!! 22 stops all thru out downtown. I recommend getting off at St. George street. That's were mostly all the shopping and eating places are!! I also recommend the scenic tour cruise!! Great view of downtown from afar!! I truly enjoyed myself in St. Augustine and at the Inn at Camachee Harbor. I will be back next year!! :)

Room Tip: If have problems with climbing stairs, then i would recommend that you choose one of the harbor view...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Valencia R
Camachee, Manager at Inn at Camachee Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

It sounds like you had a truly enjoyable and memorable experience in our historic city! We are so happy to have been able to play a part in making your trip so wonderful!! We loved having you stay with us, and look forward to seeing you again next time.

Take care!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I choose this Inn because of the good reviews and scenic location. The location was great but overall I was disappointed with our stay. Here were the pros: nice staff, were accommodating with forgotten toiletries, extra towels and overall friendliness. The building itself looks clean and well kept. It's in a great location next to a wonderful water view seafood restaurant that locals love, and the Inn gives you vouchers for free breakfast conveniently next door that you could pick up until 11 a.m. and eat on your balcony which overlooks the marina. We were a short ride into downtown and in the opposite direction, a short ride to Caps on the Water and other oceanfront restaurants as well as a Publix supermarket. These were all wonderful parts of our visit.

Here are the cons: during our stay in room #11, the marina was noisy. Loud, drunk people came back on their boats at 2 a.m. and woke me up - they were literally right outside our door. There isn't much privacy in our lower level room as people are constantly walking up and down the marina daily so we didn't feel comfortable always leaving our blinds open to enjoy the view with literally a leaf blower roaring by. The walls are very thin and we heard our neighbor's TV, voices talking and when the upstairs neighbor's door slammed it was so loud, it made me jump. Dogs were also barking loudly, the first night I felt like I was in a kennel. The room itself was tidy but needed in a deep clean. The hand railing to the downstairs was layered with black dirt that can be easily wiped down with a Lysol wipe which told me that they didn't do a detailed cleaning of the room. The carpet was very dirty. There are 2 new flat screens and the bed was comfortable, the linens were good, but the couch and coffee table were old and outdated. It added to the room not feeling clean. When we opened the blinds to the deck, one of the blinds actually fell off. One night, we had a neighbor climb on our deck and knock on our sliding door at 1 a.m. because he had been locked out of his room that apparently he needed a main entrance key to enter. That upset my husband because he felt our safety wasn't that secure. I remember asking the person who booked us if the first level balcony was easily accessible to passerby for safety reasons and he told me that the deck was up high enough from the marina so that people couldn't get on it. We learned that isn't true. We were told by a former police officer in town that St. Augustine is a very safe town, but it's still unsettling to have someone have such easy access to your room and knock on your door late at night when traveling.

I didn't get a good night's sleep on our stay here and it left me with the impression that this is a party place not good for couples who want to come back from a long day of seeing the fun sights in town and relax on a peaceful and romantic marina. There's nothing really romantic about hearing drunk boaters a few nights of your stay rambling loudly right outside your door!

If they updated the room and deep cleaned, we would return but this time stay on the second floor where hopefully it's less noisy and more private than the first. I would replace all carpet on the first floor with some kind of hardwood floor which would make a huge improvement in the cleanliness factor and limit big dogs over 25 lbs to first floor rooms. I'd also replace the toilets because our toilet didn't flush well - you had to keep turning the knob up for it to refill the tank. I'd update the blinds and warn people when booking of the potential noise levels so they're not surprised. I asked a million questions when I booked, and was told the room I chose would be quiet in the corner location which is why I felt disappointed when it wasn't.

Another pro is that parking there was ample when we visited in September and the fridge in the room is a good size. With a Publix a short drive away, you could store your drinks, snacks or leftovers in the fridge and heat them in the microwave provided. And the room itself feels more like a condo than a hotel room. This place has so much potential and wonderful things about it, we may have just had bad luck between the noise factor and dirty room during our stay. I hope they do upgrade and keep the prices affordable and we would go back!

Room Tip: I'd choose one of the top level rooms for more privacy and less noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrandMrs K

The Inn at Camachee Harbor is located on an upscale yacht harbor, here in St. Augustine. In general, our city is known for being laid back and relatively quiet, and we have always been able to claim the same environment here on Camachee Island. Most boat and yacht owners are respectful residents, but there are short term visitors that stay here, and some may not be thoughtful of our guests in the Inn that are trying to sleep. It is impossible to guarantee absolute quiet at any establishment, and none of our innkeepers would have done so, but based on the overwhelming majority of experiences, we do feel we can use the words "tranquil" and "relaxing" to describe ourselves. We always do everything we can to address noise complaints that are brought to our attention; however, we did not receive a noise complaint in this instance, and were thus unaware of any issues until reading this review.

In regards to the decks on our ground floor Harbor View rooms, there is certainly no easy access from outside the room. That person would have had to push through the shrubs that surround the front of the decks, and pull himself over the top of the wooden railing around the deck; this is no easy task, given that the ground to the top of the railing is about five feet. Again, we are uncertain of the specifics of what happened in this case, because we were never informed at the time. Additionally, we have double locks on all doors leading from a room to the deck, as well as double locks on the main entrance doors to the room. In any hotel, a fellow guest, visitor or traveler could knock on a room door at any time. It is unfortunate when this causes alarm or inconvenience, but our guests are kept perfectly safe by the locks on their doors.

The last two points that we want to address are the lack of a "clean" feeling, and the general daytime noisiness. The railings described are not actually dirty - they are metal railings that were painted in white years ago, and are due for a new coat of paint after being wiped with cleaner so many times by housekeeping. Regarding noisiness, we very, very rarely have had any such complaints from guests in the past. We have more remarks on how quiet Camachee Island, and our Inn in particular, is compared to the rest of St. Augustine. Obviously, to keep up the beauty of our location, we must have regular landscaping done. This takes from 1-2 hours total, once a week, and less than half of that time is spent on the back of our building where the decks are located.

We do thank you for your review, and are glad you were able to enjoy parts of your stay, but we are deeply regretful about the issues you experienced. We only wish that these issues would have been reported to our staff, so we could have made every attempt to address those in our control at that time, rather than finding out much later. We will be glad to replace the lever on the toilet that was mentioned, and will pass along the suggestion to update/upgrade elements of the room that can be changed to the appropriate owner.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This rustic hideaway provides all the comforts of home amidst the peace tranquility and intrigue of Historic St Augustine . Breakfast included next door was perfect. Staff friendly and thoughtful.king fish grille on property is a local favorite as well as a fine sea food establishment and perfect venue for a wedding, or family reunion.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Kcrand9088
Camachee, Manager at Inn at Camachee Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your review, and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! St. Augustine is the perfect destination for a wedding, and Camachee Island is indeed a growing venue for such events.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We ended up in room number #24 which had a lovely view of the marina , as well as a jacuzzi tub in the room. The outdoor balcony was a wonderful place for me to paint, en plein air, shielded from the sun. We had originally chosen a different room and when we saw it we asked to move. The management was kind enough to accommodate us and we were very happy with the new room. We have stayed in St. Augustine many times, always in the historic district at a B&B. This Inn on Camachee Island offered a nice respite from all the traffic and lack of parking in historic downtown St. Augustine, yet we were able to get downtown in only 5 minutes when we wanted to. Best of all worlds, in my opinion.If you want antiques and a step up bed, this place is not for you, but I loved it! Comfortable, clean, and convenient, and just a 5 minute drive from my favorite restaurant, The Reef, on Vilano Beach.

Room Tip: Room #24 was not what we had originally chosen, but we were very happy with it after we asked for a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank globetrotter2u
Camachee, Manager at Inn at Camachee Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

What a wonderful way to make the most of your trip! We were so glad that we could accommodate you, and especially that you were satisfied with your room in the end. We hope to see you again on your next visit!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was the most delightful place. We absolutely loved it. My daughter loved running up and down the little stairs in our room. Loved the extra space, a bedroom area with a lower lever sitting area. Fantastic view, watching the boats right outside the window. Everything was spotless, clean, and fresh. The pool was immaculate, although not heated, we got used to it and had a blast, again right on the harbor. The staff was incredibly helpful and kind. We got a great rate. Comfortable bed and sheets. I will certainly come again and recommend it to others. It was a great distance to everything. We never spent more than 10 minutes in the car. 5 minutes from the ampitheatre. 5 minutes from downtown. 2 restaurants right there on site, walking distance. Fabulous!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Satikune

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay, and we loved having you! Please come visit us again very soon!!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed at the Inn August 2012. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and clean. Bed and pillows made for a restful sleep. Location is minutes from downtown, away from the traffic and busy streets, so it was always peaceful and quiet in our room. Patio/deck overlooked the harbor which provided a great view. Location is pet friendly and the small pet fee per night is reasonable. Only minutes from downtown and the pet friendly Vilano Beach. Pet friendly restaurants near the Inn are Pizzalleys and Harry's (not many others allow pets which is a bummer). The complimentary breakfast at Fish Tales (next to the Inn) was great. Nice folks running the market. Overall, two thumbs up! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a harbor view...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LivelovelaughLulu
Camachee, Manager at Inn at Camachee Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

We're so glad we could help make your stay with your dog so fun and relaxing! We have to argue one small point: there are many dog-friendly restaurants in St. Augustine (including Kingfish Grill, right next door), although most do require you to eat in their outside area. Next time you come and visit us, we will have to point you in the direction of some of the delicious places you can eat with your puppy!

As always, thank you for choosing The Inn at Camachee Harbor for your visit to our beautiful city!!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife and I knew about this place because we always would stop at the bait shop and the fishtails cafe. We finally stayed here one night and loved it! Rooms are nice, pet friendly, and roomy. Bed was nice, tv was bigger than any we have had in other hotels,a/c was nice and cold. Great place to stay! We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Jagman13
Camachee, Manager at Inn at Camachee Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! We love to see locals come and experience our inn, just to get away for the night and relax. We hope to see you again, so you can experience more of our beautiful, unique rooms!