“Best place to stay in st Augustine”
Review of St. George Inn

St. George Inn
Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Florida
“Best place to stay in st Augustine”
Reviewed December 28, 2009

The Inn is located in the heart of historic St. Augustine and within walking distance of most of the attractions in the area. The staff is very friendly, they took us to our room and explained everything. I can't remember having that service in ages. The rooms are very clean, comfy bed and pillows. The bathroom products were top notch. The macadamia nut bread was great that they served as part of the continental breakfast. They had coffee in the office and in the rooms. The breakfast had juice, tea, coffee, fruit and a huge assortment of breads. A big block of cheese and other toppings. Frig also in the rooms. We loved that it was so close to Ann O'Malleys, an Irish pub. The balconies were great for people watching and the rocking chairs were a nice touch. We had our computer with us and got connected right away. We will be back again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flpab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
perth
Reviewed December 25, 2009

This hotel is centrally located in the Old Town with the street directly below busling with people. If you don't mind being in the thick of things then this place is OK. The shower was eventually hot and the plumbing didn't feel that secure in the wall. We were recommended a cafe style resuarant for dinner by thehotel staff that was not to our liking and we found ourselves eating at the Columbia. This was very good, the food fresh and interesting. Service here was wonderful. The park and all major buildings were dressed in lights for Xmas with a wonderful display. It is a pity the bridge has taken so long to finish as this was my second trip in 2 years.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank swimmerwestcoast
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed December 18, 2009

The Inn in located in the heart of historic and romantic St. Augustine and within walking distance of most of the attractions in the area. The staff is incredibly friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable. The rooms are very clean and well appointed and the blueberry bread that they served as part of the continental breakfast was to die for. We couldn’t have been happier with this Inn and have already planned our return trip!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IslandGirl071
Florida
Reviewed December 2, 2009

We were so excited to stay in this historic section...but we soon realized it is LOUD from the people on the street below; the exhaust fans running from the stores below and people ringing the old schoolhouse bell! If you want to sleep at all stay elsewhere!!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank TravelGirlie2
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 18, 2009

This place was a very pleasant surprise. Its only been around about 8 years but completely is at home in the ancient city of St Augustine. The staff is the best, you can't beat the location and the rates are good (get one of their trolley, museum, ghost tour packages). Parking is a reasonable $5 per day and they have great showers (always important). There are no surprises on their breakfast buffet but it is fresh and plentiful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I found the St. George Inn to be clean, the staff was courteous, and eager to help. However, there is not really anything except the location that is any more special than any of the nicer chains you can stay at in town...

The pros are location... and location. The rooms are clean, and about on par with what you'd find at a Hampton Inn.

The cons:
1. The walls are THIN. We thought, erroneously, that this was a historic hotel, based on its location, but it was built in 2002, according to the girl at the front desk. And they built it on a budget - we could clearly hear our neighbor's TV and ALL the traffic on the street until the wee hours. If you don't want to share all your in-room activities with the folks in the next room, stay somewhere else. This killed any thought of romance for my wife and I...

2. For $199 a night - why isn't parking INCLUDED? Its a bit of an insult to make me pay $5 a day on top of that to park my car in an unsecure public parking garage.

3. The price - if I have to park in the public garage and can hear my neighbors every move, why stay here? I could have stayed at a chain a few miles away for half the price.

4. The TV - fifteen channels??? Come on, what is this, 1977 UHF? This is not acceptable at this price point.

5. No desk service 8pm-8am. Want ice after 8pm? Sorry, no ice until the office opens...

If you have to be right in the middle of town, this is the place for you. But you can get all the amenities at half the price if you don't mind driving a couple miles to get downtown. Really don't think its a good value at all...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gatormark91
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed October 6, 2009

This place was great! I have only been to St Augustine once and just fell in love with the place... My first stay was in a hostel and it was really fun and I went with friends... this time I went with my mother in law and my man... I was trying to find a place that would be affordable but where we could get two separate rooms since we were traveling with a 3rd person... well the St George Inn really pulled through... They just happen to have one room (No. 21) it's a "Nina Room" and it has "almost" 2 bedrooms with one shared bath... I wasn't sure what I was in store for but the price was right and it was at the perfect location... So once we got there we found out what "almost" stood for... you walk in the room and there is a bed on the right... then there is a bathroom that separates the room into 2 halfs sort of... then there is a second bed on the other side... it was perfect for what we needed it for....it has a great balcony with comfortable rocking chairs and a table so you can have your breakfast outside or a smoke from the cigar shop across the plaza... it has a great view of the fort and it's right on the walking street... so you can walk to everything... I am a plus sized person and even though there were stairs it was just one flight and the chairs all fit me and the walking street (that has everything on it) is only about 5 to 7 small blocks (tip--- there are plus sized folding chairs in the plaza in case the smaller chairs scare yah... they are slightly larger so be sure to look carefully)... the breakfast was perfect for starting the day... it wasn't a full breakfast or anything but most of us don't eat a proper breakfast anyways...they had bagels, breads (with toppings such as: butter, cream cheese, Peanut Butter & Jelly), cheese, yogurt, OJ, fruit, snack bars and lastly... they had some GREAT coffee... so what more do yah need.... the room was super clean and they even provided ashtrays for us smokers (outside only - but the balcony is covered)... the parking was weird but the staff made it an easy process and they even carried all our luggage upstairs for us... but once you parked you didn't need a car... really, all the best parts of St Augustine were in walking distance... except the beach but if you know anything about St Auggies, the beach isn’t where it’s at... LOL... it’s really all about the older part of town... so the beach is just a daytime trip anyways...we hired a taxi since they were really affordable to take us out there and had some fun in the sand and surf... i would recommend All Seeing Eye Cab... they gave us a great rate... the info was found in the book that the Inn leaves in your room... make sure to check that book out... they actually tell you all the local restaurants and even list free stuff in case you are on a budget... I didn't bring my laptop with me but the staff kindly let me use their computers to check my emails and the place is Wi-Fi ready so if you do bring your laptop you can get signal... I would also recommend going to the Winery just down the street they have some great dessert wines that are perfect for opening up on your balcony or gifts for friends at home... I am totally looking forward to going back to St Augustine and I am personally only staying at the St George Inn... It was everything that we needed and more... Thanks for reading and good luck with your travels.... Remember... All who wander are not lost :-)

• Stayed September 2009