Review of Old Florida Museum

and up
St Augustine Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour
Ranked #80 of 190 things to do in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: A hands-on way to experience daily living activities from pre-European times to 1926.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We visited on a Sunday, which is apparently a slow day usually. Since we're local, tickets cost $6 each and it was well worth it. A period guide takes you into the museum as a group and you pick your occupation. You're given a scroll with a list of questions; by playing games, doing chores and activities and reading/listening you can earn coins to help purchase small goodies in the gift shop.

My ten year-old LOVED this place. I had only anticipated spending an hour or so, and at the 2+ hour mark I was dragging her out as we had prior reservations elsewhere. I did notice some families left sooner; I think it's one of the those places that is what you make of it. The guides were excellent and very knowledgeable. I think if you just wander around aimlessly, you won't get much from the experience. Read the signage, play the games, ask the guides questions and you'll have a very good experience.

I'm sure if we ever visit St. Augustine again, my child will definitely be putting this on the must-do list.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 10 reviews

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We went for a 4 th grade field trip. I thought the people who worked there were interesting, friendly and knowledgable. They did not seem put out or bored. The students never lost attention (nor did I). Everyone said how much they enjoyed the visit. The young man who did the "Spanish section" was phenomenal.

1  Thank creeksideJ
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We recently visited this attraction on a trip to Saint Augustine. It is entirely for kids. It consists of two parts, a Spanish village and a native village. When you arrive, you are asked if you want a job. If you choose a job, you have to answer several questions on a scroll. My son was a builder. He received a hammer and several questions. I was a scribe. I had to write everyone's answers and answer my own questions. My husband was a soldier. He had to carry a pike and point it at every person he encountered and yell "Friend of Foe". Needless to say, he wasn't thrilled about that, so be careful if you choose solider. The questions are not terribly hard and earn you gold coins that you can trade for trinkets in the gift shop.
The guides were full of information and also fun. They made sure that my son had a good time there. You can also perform chores or play games and earn more gold coins.
The entire place took about an hour. My son had a great time and also learned a lot about life in early St. Augustine. This is a VERY hands-on musuem. It's not about looking here - it's all about the doing. My suggestion would be to go on a weekend. They have LOTS of school groups during the week. It is not very large and I can imagine that it gets pretty crowded with the school groups. It costs $25 for the three of us to get in. It was well worth the money.

1  Thank gmaj_05
Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was ok, but probably good only for school groups and children. It is somewhat interactive for them as they do make candles and interpret what the people of the ime period ate and how they cooked, etc.. All outdoors and a gift shop in the front entrance.

1  Thank Jennifer W
See more reviews
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We took our three grandchildren (ages 7, 9 and10) to the Old Florida Museum/Ft Menendez not knowing what to expect. We were very impressed and the kids loved it. Not only was it educational but the kids had a great time doing tasks, playing games, and learning about the Spanish settlement of Florida and the Timucua Indians. They were shown how candles were made, corn grinding, rope making, fence building, etc. and how the Spanish soldiers and the Timucua Indians lived. Our guide was great - very knowledgeable and entertaining. Of the places we visited in St Augustine, this was the grandchildren's favorite.