“Great Golf Course”

St. Augustine, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Golf Course”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I've been playing here for about 6 years and the course has not been rated properely by other golfers, they loose a few balls and they think the course is bad, maybe the golfers are not that good, the course is in great shape now, the greens are full and thick, they run very true, they have great specials, a good lunch menu, new golf carts, let's give Royal a chance

3 Thank golfer1069

ohio
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“This is not golf.”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

I don't know what to say about this "course". It really isn't a true full size course. It's more of a hybrid between a par 3 and a full sized course. There just was not enough room to build a full size course on this site. Given what I had read, we loaded up on top flights at WalMart and off we went. Most of the cheap balls are gone. Thing is I made some excellent shots, Drove a green from 265 and almost made one from 319. I would hit fairway or green and could not find my ball. Everything is on a slope but the grass was so short, good shots rolled into the rough or water. What's up with the moguls? If I want moguls on a 400+ yard hole, I'll go skiing. Hole 13! Tight dogleg left, 90 degrees over water and what do we have on the bridge I hit over, a whole gaggle of guys fishing, blocking the bridge with chairs and cane poles. Next hole is tight next to a divided highway and water! Do you want to take a chance on driving a ball thru someone's windshield? Fairways were 20 to 40 ft wide and very sloped, greens are small and hard; hard like I had balls bounce off but slowwwwwwww. I don't get it. Anyway, try the county course, same price 27 holes, less crowding. No fishermen or ball hawkers. The locals swarmed this course, feeehin, ball hawkin and dawg walkin. Save your $, save your balls, go to a driving range for "target golf". Go to a real course and just play. This was a waste of time and money.

Georgetown, Texas
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“A really bad "golf" experience!”
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I put "golf" in quoatations because I really did not get to play here. The B&B made a tee time per my request...I checked in 32 minutes ahead of my 10:02 tee time...rented clubs, bought a glove, tees, a bucket of balls and headed over to the driving range. First clue that this was not a first rate operation was the $30 rate (no such thing as a free lunch) WITH cart. The range balls were older than the course and the clubs were only slightly newer. But that's the good news. Arriving at the tee at 9:56, I find no one but the starter. He hasn't a clue who I'm paired with...saying that he has already sent the 10:02 group off. I did not realize that you can't actually see the first tee from the starter's station, so I took his word that they were long gone. He then promptly gets in his cart to go to the club house. I walk over to the putting area thinking he will return with good news. After 5 minutes or so, he returns and tells me his is going to put me with a group coming up the 4th fairway so I can play around to 18 and finish the first 4 holes "later". I told him that this was not acceptable...that I would play alone (remember I can't see the first tee) since no one was in sight. He huffingly said "go on". Driving around the clumb of shrubbery that hid the first tee, I find a FOURSOME just leaving the tee - where was the threesome I was to be paired with? Not in front of this group because I could see another foursome in the fairway. Needless-to-say, I decided to go back to the clubhouse and get my money back. After a real hard time, I got "most" of my money back..."you put the glove on and you hit the range balls, so we're not giving you the money back on that"...was the storyline.

This is a long-winded way of saying this is not a place I would ever go back to nor recommend this "lack of professionalism" to anyone.

2 Thank William T
A TripAdvisor Member
“Bizarre Design”
Reviewed August 14, 2005

I have played this course a few times, and have finally come to a realization---they built a housing development, and tried to squeeze a golf course into some open areas.

There are some totally bizarre holes. For example, the second hole is a 90 degree dogleg right, where you have two options, hit like a six iron off the tee and a wedge, or sky a driver over the corner (no easy task because of tall trees), or the 16th (I think), where you basically have to hit a 240 yard slice off the tee to get it in play on this 300 yard long hole. Of course, there is the tenth, where a straight tee shot (to a narrow fairway) is rewarded by landing behind a large tree.

Yes, it is tight, but narrow courses are fine by me. The thing I find frustrating is that they built a short course, but then tried make it seem longer by making penal to long and straight hitters.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Like Most Courses...Hit it Straight!”
Reviewed June 4, 2005

Had the pleasure of playing this course recently. Have heard that it's "tight", etc., but from Colorado, this course plays like most...hit it straight and you'll do fine.
The magnificently manicured fairways were a far cry from the "public" courses I've played. Would highly recommend! (And I'll be back).
signed...RSA lover.