“We will never stay in any Inn/Hotel in St.Augustine, other than Pirate Haus, ever again, ever.”

The Pirate Haus Inn
Ranked #20 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Our stay at the Pirate Haus Inn wasn't planned, it was a spur-of-the-moment idea. And we were not disappointed. From check-in to check-out, Andy and Conrad(who we met the next morning) were friendly, personable and eager to make sure that our accommodations were to our liking.
We stayed in the Tropical Fish Room, one of their private suites. The queen-size bed was extremely comfortable, and very clean as well. Everything was very clean, come to think of it. From the toilet to the mirror hanging on the inside of the surprisingly spacious closet's door. Clean. There was an ocean mural on the wall with a very triumphant-looking seagull, pictures of sea horses and other assorted sea creatures on the wall in the bathroom, and a tropical fish-emblazoned comforter on the bed. It felt like we were staying with friends at a cozy-yet-eccentric beach cottage, and got the best room available.
Waking up to home-made pancakes and fresh coffee really hit the mark here. Cap'n Conrad made a huge heart-shaped pancake with our names baked into it. Talk about adding a personal touch! We finished our last cup of joe in the common room, where there were lots of board games, books and movies available, as well as some toys for families traveling with their children. Another interesting thing was that there were hand-woven palm frond origami-style grasshoppers and dragonflies set up around the common areas. A friend of the owners makes them. Everyone there was really nice, out-going, and interesting.
The only negative, is actually a positive. We weren't quite ready for the construction crew outside of our window at 7:35AM. It sounded like they were about to tear our window out of it's frame, but, they seem to be nearing completion of the remodeling/restoration project on their upstairs, outdoor patio. So, we will most likely be able to take advantage of the improved amenities on our next stay, which will be as soon as our schedules permit. We really had a great time. Next time, we're booking a whole weekend.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank klobdrum
capnconrad, Owner at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2010

Thanks for your review. Sorry about the construction crew, but the backside of the building is now finished with the exception of the deck but that will be outside the kitchen window. We've made the area outside of guest rooms off limits to minimize any disturbance to our guests.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

When I went to the Pirate Haus's website I knew it probably wasn't my cup of tea. However, my son was celebrating his 5th birthday and instead of a party he wanted to go to St. Augustine for a fun filled pirate themed weekend. I felt lucky when I found the the Pirate Haus because I knew my son would love it.

The room we stayed at had a queen size bed and bunk beds. My son was thrilled to say the least when he saw the bunk beds. The first thing he wanted to do in St. Augustine was go to sleep just so he could be on the top bunk :) He also enjoyed how we were invited the next morning by the owner for breakfast. He was amazed at how his own name was able to appear in the pancakes. But, the absolute best thing about the Pirate Haus is the location. It is amazing! Right across the street from the water and right in the middle of the historical section. Everything is within walking distance.

The idea of the rooms being themed sounded great but the paint colors were so dark they made the room feel dreary. I understand the building is old so I wouldn't even complain about the bad remodeling job in the bathroom, but there is no excuse for the bathtub and floors. They need some SERIOUS elbow grease and they would be fine. I agree with the comment someone made earlier about the water pressure being poor. Also, there is no outlet in the bathroom so it is a little hard to shave or blow dry your hair.

The room smelled very clean. The sheets and comforter were rather worn but very comfortable and seemed clean. I wasn't happy that the pillows on the bunk bed didn't have pillow cases. The room needs an overall good dusting but it wasn't horrible. It was slightly annoying that their isn't anywhere to put a suitcase (dresser or luggage rack) so they have to sit on the floor. I also wasn't happy with not being able to adjust the air conditioner ourselves. The room was warmer then we found comfortable. The website shows that the rooms as having window air conditioners, but it doesn't. It would have been actually nice if it did for two reasons. One, obviously we then would have been able to adjust it ourselves. Two, it would have helped block out some of the noise. The hotel guest themselves were fine (we didn't hear anyone through the walls), however I think the windows are paper thin because we could hear EVERYTHING that was going on on the streets below our window. The worst is when the bars let out at 2:00 am screaming and yelling could all be clearly heard, but also just people talking at normal talking levels could clearly be heard loud and clear. Speaking of windows it was nice we thought at first that the hotel has black out curtains, however they are not big enough so they are pretty much pointless since about two feet of the window doesn't have any curtains over them when they are drawn closed. They do have blinds also so they are a little helpful. The rooms also have no TV's, which should be something mentioned on their website.

The owner is a really nice guy and seems to enjoy his job. He gives some helpful hints and tips. HE was right on about eating at A1A (wonderful.) However,It was very similar to a frat house and I don't know many people over the age of 25 that like to stay at frat houses. I guess if it had only been $50 or $75 a night I wouldn't say anything but for $105 a night I feel a little more is needed.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lbs3169
capnconrad, Owner at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2010

Thanks for your review, and I'm sorry that your experience was not as pleasant as we would have liked it to be. I do know that the bathroom in that room needs work and we'll be working on a new floor. But there are some things that I cannot control, please bear in mind that I do not own the building. The building owner had the exterior of the building redone and decided that he didn't want A/C units hanging out the windows, so he paid to have central air put in, in general this has helped keep the entire building much more comfortable. It was only done 2 months ago. We've had guests complain that it was too cold in that room so it's possible that they may have closed the vents.

Water pressure: it's actually pretty good, but the room you stayed in does have old valves (but they've never leaked compared to today's valves!) so we are forced to use a bathtub spout diverter which may be the cause of pressure problems in that room, I'll try a replacement. There is no outlet in the bathroom due to safety regulations and the age of our building. When the building was rewired, there was no such thing as GFI circuits, which are required when you have electricity and water in close proximity.

Noise: your room was on the streetside and one of the plusses being the location it's also a negative if you sleep early. I was one of the sole voices in opposition to lengthening the bar hours from 1AM to 2AM. Bar owners have deep pockets which buys you more representation than a 5 room inn with low prices. The windows cannot be replaced due to the historical preservation district rules, or as we call it 'hysterical preservation'.

Luggage rack: There are desks in two of the rooms, and one of the others has a futon. There is simply not enough place in the room you stayed unless we remove the bunk bed. If your son slept in the top bunk, you could have used the lower bunk as a luggage rack.

Pillow cases: Each pillow comes equipped with a standard two cases. The first is a moisture proof/dust mite proof cover which protects the pillows. The next case is a fabric pillowcase to uh, absorb...uh, well some people sleep with their mouths open you know... And for the bunk beds you should have gotten a 'bedroll', which includes a sleeping bag like sheet and an outer pillowcase. I daresay you will not find more pillowcases on pillows at any hotel.

TV's in rooms: I've thought about it off and on, but most of my returning guests don't see the need. Ie, they don't come to St. Augustine to watch TV. What concerns me would be dueling Westerns at 2AM.

Mention no TV's on website: It's there on the 'Amenities' link "Here at the Pirate Haus Inn, we don't have TV's or phones in the rooms..."

I strongly disagree with your characterization of our inn as a 'frat house'. On the nights of your stay there were two other families here with kids and there was one person presenting at a local conference, though I guess he was less than 30 also. Saturday night there was a group of young adults (all over 25) who had rented out one of the rooms. But sometimes we get older folks and sometimes younger, but I do love the diversity. It's one of the reasons I love this job.

Price: We are the lowest priced accommodation in the downtown historic area. I daresay you would not find anything close to $75 per night on a holiday weekend. Our holiday rate was $95 to which 10% tax is added ( I have no control over the tax unless you can present me with a Florida Consumer Exemption certificate). To which you can add free parking (the Hilton next to us charges $20/day) and an all you can eat breakfast.

To our future guests who read reviews (I do when I travel!): Should you encounter any problems during your stay please bring them to our attention as soon as possible, if we can we'll fix it while you're here.

Reviewed May 23, 2010

excelent location, clean, great staff, but the best was the good environment. I went on a walk with others, sang sea shanties at Spanish District Museum with the owner, and ate lots of pancakes.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank lawrencefalk
Reviewed April 24, 2010

We stayed with our young children at The Pirate Hausand we all loved it!
I would liken it to an inn and a college house.
Conrad and Andy were great and the location is the best, you can not get any better!
Park your car and walk everywhere.

We have stayed at many a hotel over the years and most of them were forgettable, we will always remember The Pirate Haus.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank BJM1
capnconrad, Grand Poobah, Head Pirate at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

Aye, thank ye kindly for your review! I've emailed you separately for your suggestions on how we can improve our cleanliness. We have already resurfaced the bathroom floor in the room you were in and we eagerly await your feedback!! Thanks again for choosing The Pirate Haus Inn!!

Reviewed April 8, 2010

While definitely not the fanciest Inn, nor the most updated, it is one full of character. Andy went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed, and Conrad made some great pancakes in the morning. This is a place to go to if you enjoy meeting other people, and\ want an inexpensive room in the heart of downtown. My kids loved it there, and will probably remember The Piratehaus more so than other parts of the trip. My youngest (8) especially loved the guitar lessons Andy gave him. We stayed in the Map room, and while the beds were comfortable, the sheets and comforter were definitely worn, the shower lacked water pressure, and there were water stains on the ceiling, but it was the experience of hanging out in the common room chatting with other families that made up for it. As for location, it truly cannot be beat. If you are a family that is particular about where you stay, then the Hilton across the street is likely for you. If you are a family that doesn't mind worn but comfortable accommodations, and want where you stay to be part of your experience, then I recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
capnconrad, Head cook and bottle washer at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2010

Thanks for your review and for pointing out the negatives, though if you had said something we may have been able to correct it while you were here. No matter, the important thing is that I know about it.
Ceiling- We hope to get that replaced when they replace the windows on the backside of the building. I don't own the property so I always rely on the owner to make building repairs beyond a certain cost level, a less than ideal situation.
Sheets and comforter - They look fine, the comforter does have some 'pilling' on the top, but it's hard to find comforters with a 'map' theme. We do have the old motel standard comforters, but they don' t look as nice in the room, however if it's an issue, they are available for use.
Shower Water pressure - thanks for bringing it to my attention. The bath has good pressure but when the diverter is used, the pressure is not so good. I will look into it, perhaps replacing the shower hose with a fixed shower head.

Thanks for staying with us, your kids are great!!!

Reviewed February 2, 2010

What a great find! Right in the middle of the beautiful historic district. St. Augustine is our favorite stop over on the way to Disney and the Piratehaus was a great place to begin our vacation fun. Our 5 and 6 year olds loved the Map room and the bunkbeds as well as Cap'n Conrad and his great pirate pancakes. Mom and Dad liked it too and we would definately stay here again on another trip down to Florida. Conrad and his crew were great hosts.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
capnconrad, The buck stops here! at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2010

Thank ye fer yer kind words, indeed they warm the heart more than the grog on the Black Raven....

Reviewed January 12, 2010

I just returned from my annual winter to trip to Florida and every year I always stop by St. Augustine and stay at the hostel at the Pirate Haus. Conrad and his crew really go out of the way to make you feel welcome. The Pancake breakfasts are great. The other day he still made pancakes even though I was the only guest in the entire building. Also a great location, right in the middle of the historic district and a 5 minute drive to the beaches. The only downside is that if you come by car you have to keep feeding the parking meter but that's something no one can help.

Thank you Conrad and crew for another enjoyable stay. I may come back down sometime in the spring for a few days. Not sure if I will be able to yet. Just make sure the weather is warmer next time. ;)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
capnconrad, Captain at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2010

Thanks Jordan, I didn't know you were on T/A! I should have mentioned that since you were the only person here you could have parked in the lot.

I should state that we are more of an Inn than a hostel lest people get the wrong impression of a hostel and think it is just a bunch of drunk half naked college students!!!

We do have the two dorm-type rooms which allow single travelers on a budget to stay in the center of town for 20 bucks, breakfast included.

And private rooms are guaranteed one space per room in our parking lot.