“Super location,family or singles friendly cute , inexpensive place to stay.”

The Pirate Haus Inn
Ranked #20 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

One block from the main streets and the bay, this hostel is fun and friendly. You can get a private rm or other styles. Decor is kitschy pirate and fun. Clean. Breakfast pancakes and good coffee (not weak!!) it is an older building and feels homey. Quite a few stairs to climb at entry.

We met people ranging in age from 20's to 60's.

Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife and I had a very enjoyable time staying at the Pirate Haus. Conrad and the crew did a wonderful job of making our stay enjoyable. The place brought back memories of my travels in Europe in the 80's. It is a very laid back, comfy place to stay that was in the historic district of St Augustine. The rooms are tidy and well kept. The food for breakfast was pancakes. Very simple fare with Conrad's own unusual twist. Both Sarah and I intend to return and stay again and again. We highly recommend the Pirate Haus!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

First, when it comes to St. Augustine, you want to stay in the historic area, with free parking, and walk everywhere. Done, done, and done.

Second, you want to stay somewhere that the folks will honestly turn you on to the best places to eat John and Cap'n Conrad were great sources of good intell on the restaurant scene.
We have the belly to show for it ;)

Third, you want folks who have your back and will look out for you- Dennis hunted down another patron whose car had us blocked in and arranged for us to swap parking spaces so we could get out early on departure day. Thank you, Dennis!

Fourth, you want a bed and bathroom that feels like home, and a kitchen there for you to use if you need it, and a place to let your hair down and relax, and get to know folks.

What a great way to end a vacation- with a weekend stay at the Pirate Haus...
Now I am having withdrawals, which brings me to number FIVE:
Fifth, the only bad thing about Pirate Haus is having to leave.
We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Soon after we checked into the Pirate Haus and explored our room, my excited 9-year-old son said, "This place is designed to be comfy and funky and fun!" I think he got it right-- The Pirate Haus isn't fancy, but it's so much fun. We loved hanging out in the common room playing board games and talking to staff members and other guests, loved the funky design of the place, and of course loved the pancakes in the morning. We appreciated and followed the restaurant recommendations that John gave us, as well as the beach recommendation from Dennis. The location can't be beat-- we walked everywhere and didn't move our car until check-out. Overall, just a great place to stay, especially it you want something more than the generic hotel experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
capnconrad, Owner at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

"Comfy, funky and fun!" I love it, I think it describes us to a 'T'! Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've never written a review for a hotel before, and I doubt I will again, but I just got back from a quick stay there with my three kids and the Pirate Haus was the best lodging choice I've made in St . Augustine. It impressed me enough to actually sit down and review it! That's after about ten trips there, and stays in everything from the Hilton to some of the less savory motor lodges. So you read the reviews and the web site and you know you're getting budget lodgings, but the little things make it so much more comfortable than the cookie cutter motels, and the location is way better than any of the larger chains at similar rates.The common room was full of toys(there were at least three of each toy, too, so no fights!), the pancakes in the morning were great, and most importantly, the beds. You don't expect comfortable beds with cozy sheets at any hotel, and these were the best. Clean, soft and snuggly. I didn't expect it from the pirates!

And finally, the staff was just awesome. So accommodating, friendly and truly interested in making sure you were comfortable. With one adult and three kids, I really appreciated the extra hand they gave here and there, without making it seem like any big deal. You don't get that kind of friendliness elsewhere. It was also a perfect adventure for the kids. In comparison, I took them to one of the kid suites at the Universal Studios hotels in Orlando a while back, and the Pirate Haus was WAY more fun and exciting for them. You get an authentic experience with one-of-a-kind decorations and the real kind of wood bunk beds, not just a silly mural of a dinosaur on the wall and a roll-away.

Any flaws you might find are clearly advertised(these guys are honest) and if you're on the fence because of some of it-the tight parking, or the older building-book the room. It is absolutely worth it. This will definitely be my go-to lodging for St. Augustine from now on.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Sean M

Thank you for taking the time to do your first hotel review! We appreciate it since That is how people tend to book these days, by looking at TripAdvisor and Yelp. You wrote: "Any flaws you might find are clearly advertised(these guys are honest)" YES! There is always something to nitpick about any restaurant/lodging/whatever, I know I write a lot of reviews too. So we'll tell you about things that are not the way we'd like them to be (we rent, we don't own the building, so things do get down to a cost/benefit thing sometimes. If we made the place perfect, we'd have to charge for it and then we would get a different clientele.) As it is we get teachers, firefighters, police and they are very down to earth, and are a joy to talk to over coffee at breakfast!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

A bit interesting to find but it is so close to downtown. It is basically a hostel with private ensuite rooms. The staff is great. The rooms are all decorated in their own theme ours was painted in a beautiful jungle theme. They make you an all you care to eat pancake breakfast that is fun.

Room Tip: rooms off the street are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank montanan_traveler

I don't know what makes us a hostel when we're so friendly! Probably the common room? Kitchen that's available for guest use? I like to think of us as a guesthouse, because we have a homey feel and we host guests! Thank you for your review and for staying with us!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This year I had three different people in three different places to visit in Floriida. I had been to all three in the past, but not in one trip. So I decided when I left my second destination, Naples, I would rent a car and drive to Fort Walton Beach via St. Augustine. I looked for hotels inTrip Advisor and came across two hostels. I was hoping for downtown accomodations so I could park and walk to the histortic sites. I'm sixty-five and one of the hostels looked too " kid friendly" according to Trip Advisor and reviews. So I honed in on the Pirate Haus as recommended. It's smack in the middle of the old city on Tresury Street. It wasnt easy to find with all the narrow one way streets, but well worth the hunt. I was told by a local there is only a door to mark the spot, and sure enough, there was. A long flight of stairs takes you to a hallway with brightly painted doors and the office at the end. John greeted me and showed me the lay of the place. He was very helplful in giving advice where to go and what to do. I was able to park for free since I arrived at 5pm and John told me I could park there until 8am. The rooms are far from fancy, but it was clean with a small fridge and wrting desk. And two gold dabloons were stting on my bed! Okay, so they were Kennedy gold pieces of chocolate, but still. Pancakes are served in the morning, encluded in your fee. Don't come here if you're looking for fancy ammenities. But for the price and location, Pirate Haus can't be beat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo