“Exactly as advertised and then some”

The Pirate Haus Inn
Ranked #20 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've never written a review for a hotel before, and I doubt I will again, but I just got back from a quick stay there with my three kids and the Pirate Haus was the best lodging choice I've made in St . Augustine. It impressed me enough to actually sit down and review it! That's after about ten trips there, and stays in everything from the Hilton to some of the less savory motor lodges. So you read the reviews and the web site and you know you're getting budget lodgings, but the little things make it so much more comfortable than the cookie cutter motels, and the location is way better than any of the larger chains at similar rates.The common room was full of toys(there were at least three of each toy, too, so no fights!), the pancakes in the morning were great, and most importantly, the beds. You don't expect comfortable beds with cozy sheets at any hotel, and these were the best. Clean, soft and snuggly. I didn't expect it from the pirates!

And finally, the staff was just awesome. So accommodating, friendly and truly interested in making sure you were comfortable. With one adult and three kids, I really appreciated the extra hand they gave here and there, without making it seem like any big deal. You don't get that kind of friendliness elsewhere. It was also a perfect adventure for the kids. In comparison, I took them to one of the kid suites at the Universal Studios hotels in Orlando a while back, and the Pirate Haus was WAY more fun and exciting for them. You get an authentic experience with one-of-a-kind decorations and the real kind of wood bunk beds, not just a silly mural of a dinosaur on the wall and a roll-away.

Any flaws you might find are clearly advertised(these guys are honest) and if you're on the fence because of some of it-the tight parking, or the older building-book the room. It is absolutely worth it. This will definitely be my go-to lodging for St. Augustine from now on.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Sean M
capnconrad, Owner at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to do your first hotel review! We appreciate it since That is how people tend to book these days, by looking at TripAdvisor and Yelp. You wrote: "Any flaws you might find are clearly advertised(these guys are honest)" YES! There is always something to nitpick about any restaurant/lodging/whatever, I know I write a lot of reviews too. So we'll tell you about things that are not the way we'd like them to be (we rent, we don't own the building, so things do get down to a cost/benefit thing sometimes. If we made the place perfect, we'd have to charge for it and then we would get a different clientele.) As it is we get teachers, firefighters, police and they are very down to earth, and are a joy to talk to over coffee at breakfast!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

A bit interesting to find but it is so close to downtown. It is basically a hostel with private ensuite rooms. The staff is great. The rooms are all decorated in their own theme ours was painted in a beautiful jungle theme. They make you an all you care to eat pancake breakfast that is fun.

Room Tip: rooms off the street are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank montanan_traveler

I don't know what makes us a hostel when we're so friendly! Probably the common room? Kitchen that's available for guest use? I like to think of us as a guesthouse, because we have a homey feel and we host guests! Thank you for your review and for staying with us!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This year I had three different people in three different places to visit in Floriida. I had been to all three in the past, but not in one trip. So I decided when I left my second destination, Naples, I would rent a car and drive to Fort Walton Beach via St. Augustine. I looked for hotels inTrip Advisor and came across two hostels. I was hoping for downtown accomodations so I could park and walk to the histortic sites. I'm sixty-five and one of the hostels looked too " kid friendly" according to Trip Advisor and reviews. So I honed in on the Pirate Haus as recommended. It's smack in the middle of the old city on Tresury Street. It wasnt easy to find with all the narrow one way streets, but well worth the hunt. I was told by a local there is only a door to mark the spot, and sure enough, there was. A long flight of stairs takes you to a hallway with brightly painted doors and the office at the end. John greeted me and showed me the lay of the place. He was very helplful in giving advice where to go and what to do. I was able to park for free since I arrived at 5pm and John told me I could park there until 8am. The rooms are far from fancy, but it was clean with a small fridge and wrting desk. And two gold dabloons were stting on my bed! Okay, so they were Kennedy gold pieces of chocolate, but still. Pancakes are served in the morning, encluded in your fee. Don't come here if you're looking for fancy ammenities. But for the price and location, Pirate Haus can't be beat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank denise u
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The Pirate Haus is amazing for the price. It is clean and homey. People from all over the world stay there, so it is a great opportunity to meet all kinds of people. I have stayed at the PH a couple of times, once in a dorm and once in a private room. The innkeeper, Conrad, is one of the most hospitable people you will ever meet. He also makes very yummy and creative pancakes in the mornings. I love it there so much that I will stop by when I am passing through the area on my way to other places in Florida just to say "hi".

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is my third time staying at the Pirate Haus in St. Augustine. Centrally located in the the heart of downtown. Great for a a girls vacation and a family vacation as the rooms hold up to 6 ppl with a private bath. Quiet time at 10 pm is enforced as the walls are very thin in this very old building.
John and Conrad are great, as well as the other staff. There is a fridge in the rooms so you can opt out of the pancake breakfast if you want to sleep in, or grab yourself a privitized pirate pancake to fortify you on your journey.

Room Tip: Book at least one month in advance to get the room you want.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank ye fer yer continued business! The walls are actually some of the thicker ones you'll find, old time plaster over lathe, as opposed to think sheet rock, the doors however are a bit thinner and they don't always fit the frames as the building has shifted a bit in the last 100 years!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

After years of trying to stay @ the Pirate Haus we were finally successful! I enjoyed getting to know John. They were very nice. It could be said about the other guests. They were not very friendly. Pancakes were good. The only thing that was a downfall (WAS OUR FAULT!) was the fact that we brought our 2 year old with us. The stairs made me very nervous for my little guy. The steps are very steep, but it's a old buidling what else should I expect? Loved it! Can't wait to visit again..and as for the person that left a comment from Jan.6.2013...I would not pay them any attention! Stay w/ the Pirates!

Room Tip: Just talk to John. He knows what he is doing.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I would recommend this place to anyone who plan to spend a night in St Augustine !
We arrived without booking anyplace on Christmas'eve in St Augustine and tried this place randomly. We weren't disappointed at all.
We were first placed in a dormitory with a German guy but as a couple, the receptionist offers us to move the German boy in another dormitory. At the end we were alone in a dormitory with a double bed.
And as a surprise when we came back from our party, the staff leave us chocolate on our bed !
As a student, I am really used to stay in hostel when I'm travelling but this one was the best so far.
We even had pancakes with our names on it for breakfast...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple