“The Pirate Haus rocks!”

The Pirate Haus Inn
Ranked #20 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Took the grandkids for a birthday adventure and was sooo happy that John made room for us, even tho' another staff member had to give up his room for us! That was going way above what I usually get from hotel staffs. He was cheerful and knowledgable about the area and the kids LOVED the personalized pancakes that chef Dennis made for their breakfast. The game room made us feel like we were at home for those few minutes we stayed in. Would absolutely go back!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Grandmasandi
There are newer reviews for The Pirate Haus Inn

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at The Pirate Haus for two nights with a large group of friends last weekend (including two children). We had an absolutely FANTASTIC time.

PROS
- Lots of beds/bunks in the room - great for a group of friends to stay together
- Each room has it's own bathroom
- No tv's in the room (yes, this is a plus! more opportunity to chat with friends/other people staying there or explore the shops and meet some new people)
- One tv in the common room if you want to watch a movie at the end of the day
- Lots of books, games and toys for kids to play with in the common room.
- Two computers with internet access to check emails, etc
- Free wifi if you've brought your laptop/ipad/etc
- Free coffee and pancakes in the morning! Who doesn't love that??
- Really friendly and helpful staff. John took the time to mark a map with great places to eat and Dennis was great to chat with over coffee and pancakes in the mornings.

CONS
- Parking is tight, but it's free so you can't really complain. John even helped us back in our car so we didn't have to worry about it.
- Quiet hours are for quite awhile from 10pm-8am, but really only a con if you are a night owl. It's a family environment though so the hours are understandable. Definitely makes it helpful if you're traveling with small children (so..not really a con)

Overall I just have great things to say about my stay. My favorite part was definitely getting to have breakfast with everyone on Saturday morning, chatting with people from Amsterdam, Quebec, and Italy (I even made a new pen pal!), and the coffee was surprisingly good.

If you like to be a little adventurous and don't want a cookie-cutter hotel experience, then you'll love this place. I hope to make it back for another visit soon :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Well, this is the magic place. The trip to St.augustine is my first trip by myself. The reason I choose The Pirate Haus Inn is the location and price. When I came there, to be honest,I just feeled okay. You know,okay means it was not very good. But after Check In, I changed my mind. The staff was very nice. He showed me the map and told me the interesting attractions, good restaurants. St.augustine is a tour city. It is very important and lucky that someone can tell you real things. When I stayed there, I can ate delicious pancakes every morning. The Pancakes was very sweet cause they could even wrote your name on the pancake. I really had wonderful time in this beautiful town. After Few months,I just came back. And I will come back again in near future. Why will I come back again? The answer is St.augustine and this sweet home.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This locally owned Inn/B & B is a wonderful adventure in traveling. It is quaint and homey; if luxury and a typical hotel environment is what you want, this is not for you. We had a private room, which was furnished in the Fish theme. We were there for 5 nights over Thanksgiving, and had a wonderful experience. The owner is present daily, and John, the employee who checked us in, and was our guide for the best diining experiences, was wonderfully helpful. The owner even invited us to his home for "Orphans Thanksgiving" where we feasted on traditional Thanksgiving food, with 15 strangers and a 3-legged dog. It was fantastic!! The Inn is located in old historic St. Augustine, so we walked EVERYWHERE!!! It reminded us of European hotels/B & Bs. When we return to St. Augustine, we will stay there again!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Manmap
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed there around St. Patty's Day and thought Pirate Haus rocked! I was with two friends in a private room and loved the mural paintings (we were in the jungle room!) & everyone was so friendly--the innkeeper gave us a big map of the area and circled places we shouldn't miss that were budget-friendly & crossed off the overpriced stuff that was worth skipping, which probably saved us a lot back then. Great location, three of us fit comfortably in a private room. We told everyone we knew to stay there when visiting St. Augustine and will definitely will be back someday!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kaeli C
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I will start right off, w/ this place is not for everybody. You have to be honest w/ yourself, what kind of traveler are you? If no t.v. or hot tub is a deal-breaker, this is not your place. If you don't understand sarcasm, or subtle humor, not your place. If you like to pretend as if the entire hotel is your castle & the staff is ONLY there for you, not your place. If you want to be pampered & bowed to, not your place.

If, on the other hand, you want to feel like you're staying at a friends house, this IS your kinda place. If you like to meet the other people staying at your hotel, definitely your place. If you plan on spending all of your time in this great town, actually OUT on the town, this is your place.

We've been on multiple occasions & have always had a great time. I don't need to be the first person to sleep in a completely remodeled room. I enjoy a good back & forth banter that usually only comes along w/ an old friend, that anybody outside of the conversation would consider rude. When we go to St. Augustine, we spend most of our time out and about, enjoying the city and everything it has to offer, not sit in our room, watching t.v. or surfing the internet. I can do that at home. It's right in the middle of everything we want, w/o the $200+ /a night price tag.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jason G
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is definitely not a fancy, elegant place. St Augustine offers plenty of those, but we were looking for FUN! And we found it! Our kids (8 and 11) LOVED staying in the Pirate Room. It was SO spacious that we could really spread out. The beds were comfy, the bathroom was clean, the pancakes were yummy. I actually loved that there were no TVs. It gave us a chance to do fun things as a family. We found board games in the community room, which was a nice bonus. The location was MUCH closer to the heart of it all than I anticipated. I highly recommend this!

Room Tip: Pick the Pirate Room! It was great!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family