“Are You Adventurous Enough?!”

The Pirate Haus Inn
Ranked #20 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I will start right off, w/ this place is not for everybody. You have to be honest w/ yourself, what kind of traveler are you? If no t.v. or hot tub is a deal-breaker, this is not your place. If you don't understand sarcasm, or subtle humor, not your place. If you like to pretend as if the entire hotel is your castle & the staff is ONLY there for you, not your place. If you want to be pampered & bowed to, not your place.

If, on the other hand, you want to feel like you're staying at a friends house, this IS your kinda place. If you like to meet the other people staying at your hotel, definitely your place. If you plan on spending all of your time in this great town, actually OUT on the town, this is your place.

We've been on multiple occasions & have always had a great time. I don't need to be the first person to sleep in a completely remodeled room. I enjoy a good back & forth banter that usually only comes along w/ an old friend, that anybody outside of the conversation would consider rude. When we go to St. Augustine, we spend most of our time out and about, enjoying the city and everything it has to offer, not sit in our room, watching t.v. or surfing the internet. I can do that at home. It's right in the middle of everything we want, w/o the $200+ /a night price tag.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jason G

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is definitely not a fancy, elegant place. St Augustine offers plenty of those, but we were looking for FUN! And we found it! Our kids (8 and 11) LOVED staying in the Pirate Room. It was SO spacious that we could really spread out. The beds were comfy, the bathroom was clean, the pancakes were yummy. I actually loved that there were no TVs. It gave us a chance to do fun things as a family. We found board games in the community room, which was a nice bonus. The location was MUCH closer to the heart of it all than I anticipated. I highly recommend this!

Room Tip: Pick the Pirate Room! It was great!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I have been staying at The Pirate Haus Inn for the past 10+ years that we have been to St. Augustine and see no reason to stay anywhere else. Its quaint, eclectic, homey and comfortable. NO TV in the room is a great thing! Why go on vacation to a place as wonderful and full of history as St Augustine and want to watch TV.. No thanks. We always meet the most wonderful people on our visits, and the community kitchen with Conrads delicious pancakes tops it off! If you are the stiff nosed type that wants room service and your tail kissed, please look elsewhere as this is a place for wonderful, well traveled human beings, not plastic people. We love The Pirate Haus and have never had an issue that wasn't addressed in a prompt and courteous manner. Well Done!

Room Tip: The Map room is great! The Jungle room is fun too...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

No need for your car you can walk to all the restaurants and all the historical sites. They make killer pancakes. Can't wait to go back!!
Cheapest place to stay in the historical section. Plus owner will recommend places to eat and sites to see. We went to a couple places that they said not to eat at and we were sorry. There were right so listen to them

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Chris-Scherfel
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I've been to this place repeatedly over the years, and Conrad and crew never disappoint. The only reason I gave it a four star rating for value, is there are a couple of places across the bridge that are nearly half the price. But, I guarantee they are not nearly as whimsical or fun, and you just can't beat the location of the Pirate Haus. Located on the corner of Treasury and Charlotte, it's within walking distance of tons of cool stuff.
All of the rooms are really cool, with decoupage and murals on the walls. Check out the pics on their website.
Don't expect a television or telephones, or your own air conditioning unit. But who cares? You don't get a room when you're out of town so you can stay in it the entire time watching tv right?
On my most recent stay, I chatted with John (one of Conrad's fine employees) for some time, I went to take a nap and after awhile I was awakened by a knock on the door. It was John inviting me to go out for dinner and drinks with him, Conrad and his wife (whose name currently escapes me; apologies), Pasquale (another guest), and a bunch of others...about a dozen of us all together. We all had a great time. How often does that happen at a hotel?
Though I don't have kids, I can say its definitely family friendly. Your fellow travelers are usually an eclectic mix. On this stay there were a couple of families, a journalist from England (I think--sorry Pasquale), myself, and friend. We all met for the pancake breakfast in the morning, where Pascal was teaching card tricks to one of the kids that was there with his family.
If you want to know anything about where to go in St. Augustine just ask the Pirate Haus staff. If they don't know, they'll try to find out for you. Tourist attractions, restaurants, bars...they'll give you a great recommendation. All in all, I won't stay anywhere else in St. Augustine. You can get something cheaper across the bridge, but nothing nearly as charming or fun. You can get something fancier and more expensive (right across the street), but none of these places will make your trip as memorable as The Pirate Haus.
In short...THIS PLACE ROCKS!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Definitely a more "offbeat" place to stay. If you're one of those people who needs cable TV and a bazillion amenities when you stay at a hotel, then you may not want to stay here. But you may love it here if:

--You want a great place to stay in the middle of all the action of St. Augustine (one block from St. George Street in one direction and one block from the bayfront in the other);
--You want interesting conversation with your fellow guests in the morning over terrific coffee and pirate pancakes;
--You want to kick back with the Haus's free wi-fi, or watch a movie in the common room (if you didn't bring a laptop you can use one of the Haus's two computers);
--You want a private room for a ridiculously reasonable price with FREE parking (a HUGE plus in this town!), really comfortable beds, fantastic showers (that's always something I notice - good water pressure and plenty of hot water, and the Haus has it!) and fun decor;
--You want friendly innkeepers and staff who will give you the honest low-down on the good restaurants and attractions in town.

We truly enjoyed our stay here, and are already looking forward to our next trip to St. Augustine. Getting a room here again will be a given. Thanks for a great time!!

Room Tip: The Pirate Room (room 10) wasn't on the street side, so had no problem with street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My stay at the Pirate Haus was several years ago, but very memorable. It is a hostel, but you can get private rooms for much less than any other typical hotel around! It is only one block from the beach and within walking distance to MANY attractions. At the time, our host was Conrad. I have heard he is still the 'captain' around there. We rented the entire place for our middle school band trip. It was awesome. From the painted stairs leading your way to the rooms to the 'pirate pancake' breakfast (included with stay). There are several private rooms to choose from and I'm sure on any other occasion, lots of opportunities to meet new and interesting people that stay at the hostel. I have always said I wanted to go back and take the family. St. Augstine was a lovely place to visit. When I do go back.....I will definitely try to book a room at the Pirate Haus!!

Room Tip: Limited parking, so check on this while you are booking about where you can park.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends