“Family Fun!”

The Pirate Haus Inn
Ranked #20 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is definitely not a fancy, elegant place. St Augustine offers plenty of those, but we were looking for FUN! And we found it! Our kids (8 and 11) LOVED staying in the Pirate Room. It was SO spacious that we could really spread out. The beds were comfy, the bathroom was clean, the pancakes were yummy. I actually loved that there were no TVs. It gave us a chance to do fun things as a family. We found board games in the community room, which was a nice bonus. The location was MUCH closer to the heart of it all than I anticipated. I highly recommend this!

Room Tip: Pick the Pirate Room! It was great!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy M

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I have been staying at The Pirate Haus Inn for the past 10+ years that we have been to St. Augustine and see no reason to stay anywhere else. Its quaint, eclectic, homey and comfortable. NO TV in the room is a great thing! Why go on vacation to a place as wonderful and full of history as St Augustine and want to watch TV.. No thanks. We always meet the most wonderful people on our visits, and the community kitchen with Conrads delicious pancakes tops it off! If you are the stiff nosed type that wants room service and your tail kissed, please look elsewhere as this is a place for wonderful, well traveled human beings, not plastic people. We love The Pirate Haus and have never had an issue that wasn't addressed in a prompt and courteous manner. Well Done!

Room Tip: The Map room is great! The Jungle room is fun too...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

No need for your car you can walk to all the restaurants and all the historical sites. They make killer pancakes. Can't wait to go back!!
Cheapest place to stay in the historical section. Plus owner will recommend places to eat and sites to see. We went to a couple places that they said not to eat at and we were sorry. There were right so listen to them

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Chris-Scherfel
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I've been to this place repeatedly over the years, and Conrad and crew never disappoint. The only reason I gave it a four star rating for value, is there are a couple of places across the bridge that are nearly half the price. But, I guarantee they are not nearly as whimsical or fun, and you just can't beat the location of the Pirate Haus. Located on the corner of Treasury and Charlotte, it's within walking distance of tons of cool stuff.
All of the rooms are really cool, with decoupage and murals on the walls. Check out the pics on their website.
Don't expect a television or telephones, or your own air conditioning unit. But who cares? You don't get a room when you're out of town so you can stay in it the entire time watching tv right?
On my most recent stay, I chatted with John (one of Conrad's fine employees) for some time, I went to take a nap and after awhile I was awakened by a knock on the door. It was John inviting me to go out for dinner and drinks with him, Conrad and his wife (whose name currently escapes me; apologies), Pasquale (another guest), and a bunch of others...about a dozen of us all together. We all had a great time. How often does that happen at a hotel?
Though I don't have kids, I can say its definitely family friendly. Your fellow travelers are usually an eclectic mix. On this stay there were a couple of families, a journalist from England (I think--sorry Pasquale), myself, and friend. We all met for the pancake breakfast in the morning, where Pascal was teaching card tricks to one of the kids that was there with his family.
If you want to know anything about where to go in St. Augustine just ask the Pirate Haus staff. If they don't know, they'll try to find out for you. Tourist attractions, restaurants, bars...they'll give you a great recommendation. All in all, I won't stay anywhere else in St. Augustine. You can get something cheaper across the bridge, but nothing nearly as charming or fun. You can get something fancier and more expensive (right across the street), but none of these places will make your trip as memorable as The Pirate Haus.
In short...THIS PLACE ROCKS!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Definitely a more "offbeat" place to stay. If you're one of those people who needs cable TV and a bazillion amenities when you stay at a hotel, then you may not want to stay here. But you may love it here if:

--You want a great place to stay in the middle of all the action of St. Augustine (one block from St. George Street in one direction and one block from the bayfront in the other);
--You want interesting conversation with your fellow guests in the morning over terrific coffee and pirate pancakes;
--You want to kick back with the Haus's free wi-fi, or watch a movie in the common room (if you didn't bring a laptop you can use one of the Haus's two computers);
--You want a private room for a ridiculously reasonable price with FREE parking (a HUGE plus in this town!), really comfortable beds, fantastic showers (that's always something I notice - good water pressure and plenty of hot water, and the Haus has it!) and fun decor;
--You want friendly innkeepers and staff who will give you the honest low-down on the good restaurants and attractions in town.

We truly enjoyed our stay here, and are already looking forward to our next trip to St. Augustine. Getting a room here again will be a given. Thanks for a great time!!

Room Tip: The Pirate Room (room 10) wasn't on the street side, so had no problem with street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My stay at the Pirate Haus was several years ago, but very memorable. It is a hostel, but you can get private rooms for much less than any other typical hotel around! It is only one block from the beach and within walking distance to MANY attractions. At the time, our host was Conrad. I have heard he is still the 'captain' around there. We rented the entire place for our middle school band trip. It was awesome. From the painted stairs leading your way to the rooms to the 'pirate pancake' breakfast (included with stay). There are several private rooms to choose from and I'm sure on any other occasion, lots of opportunities to meet new and interesting people that stay at the hostel. I have always said I wanted to go back and take the family. St. Augstine was a lovely place to visit. When I do go back.....I will definitely try to book a room at the Pirate Haus!!

Room Tip: Limited parking, so check on this while you are booking about where you can park.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2012

First of all, those of you looking for a cookie-cutter hotel are in the wrong place. This is the "specialty lodging" section. The Pirate Haus is a hostel, which may be an unfamiliar concept for many Americans. Hostels are informal, social, self-service, budget accommodations. If you must have a TV in your room, can't live without a restaurant/lounge in the lobby, and/or want to remain anonymous - stay at a hotel.

This particular hostel has both dorm rooms and private rooms. The dorm rooms (one co-ed and one female-only) sleep 8 people in bunk beds, have lockers, share a bathroom and do not include parking. The private rooms accommodate from 4-6 people in queen beds and bunk beds (perfect for families), have private bathrooms and mini-fridges, and do include one parking space per room. There is also a communal family room with TV/DVD, computer, books, games and toys. Wi-Fi is available throughout the Haus. Guests also have use of the kitchen and a guest fridge and are expected to clean up after themselves. The pirates make breakfast pancakes and coffee for the guests. There is also a deck with tables and chairs where you can eat or just hang out (it was quiet and shady in the afternoon). 10pm quiet time is strictly enforced (but you are welcome to party on St. George street until the wee hours).

My teenage daughter and I stayed in the jungle room for three nights. It is very spacious and quite comfortable. The Wi-Fi works great - we had no problems streaming a movie on my daughter's laptop. The guys who work at the Haus are very friendly and gave us good tips on places to eat and places to avoid (shout out to John - thanks for the conversation!). It was nice to be able to park the car on arrival and walk everywhere. The only negative was the city garbage truck that came around at 6am - so you might want to bring ear plugs if this bothers you. A couple people said that the church bells woke them up, but I find that sound peaceful so it didn't bother me. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FloridaMomOfTeens
capnconrad, Owner at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank your for your stay and telling it like it is. We actually don't consider ourselves a hostel because we're friendly not hostile at all ;-) Room 6 is on the street and does get the noise of the garbage truck and the church bells on Sunday. But we do have free earplugs at the front desk.