“Arrrr, it's grrrrreat!”

The Pirate Haus Inn
Ranked #20 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2008

My friends and I stayed at the Pirate Haus Inn in February 2008, and it couldn't be beat for the price, location and friendliness. The room was clean, the beds comfortable and Capt. Conrad a great resource for town information. There were even computers for the guests to use! It was wonderful to be right in the middle of everything we wanted to see and be just a block from the pedestrian shopping/dining street. If you're looking for fancy and luxury, this isn't for you. But if you're looking for a funky, clean, well-situated place at a great price, it can't be beat. If I'm in St. Augustine again, I'll definitely want to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 28, 2008

This place RULES! I was initially just looking for a place to crash with my wife and 2 kids that wouldn't break the bank. When I found the Pirate Haus website, I knew my 7 & 10 year old sons would like it, but was not sure about my wife. I think she had the most fun! The room was a total hoot, and nicely presented. Very clean! The pirate pancakes were one of the best meals we had in a week in Florida. We were a little concerned because we were arriving late, but Captain Conrad was happy to wait-up for us and make sure we were settled in. With or without kids, this place is a real find. We loved St. Augustine and are already planning a return trip, and there is no question that it will include a stay at The Pirate Haus!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank epbdad
capnconrad, Chief Swordfighting Trainer at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2008

Thanks for the kind words. I find that often people are a bit hesitant to try something different (I think you'd agree....we're different!) but are quite pleased in the end that they stayed with us. Thanks for posting the pictures too!

Reviewed January 22, 2008

Arrrrrrr-guably the best deal in St. Augustine. It truly has a (peg) leg up on the competition. Inexpensive (pi)rates! We had a (cannon) ball. This inn is a real treasure.

For real: the value is incredible, perhaps unbeatable. The Pirate Haus Inn has a homey and welcoming atmosphere for everyone from lone travelers to families to moderately large groups of friends. The private rooms are a steal at about $70; our two rooms each had 5 beds (4 bunk beds and 1 double bed). Free services galore: there's a television, wi-fi, a communal kitchen, free pancakes each morning, and plenty of maps and menus for local restaurants. And, the Pirate Haus is in a great location, just a 30 second walk from the restaurant/shop area of St. Georges Street, and mere minutes from various other points of interest. We will be coming back!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank benlandis
Reviewed January 18, 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Pirate Haus - I would choose it again over any hotel. The rooms were very comfortable, the staff extremely friendly and helpful and the pancakes were fantastic!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2008

It was great to finally meet Cap'n Conrad at the Pirate Haus! He put my family of 4 up in a great room at the last minute (as I didn't know I would be in town when I was!) and we had a ball!!
They have a great "common room" for watching movies and meeting up with the rest of the travelers there.
In fact after walking the town all day we came back and offered our copy of Harry Potter's latest movie in the common room and that's where we spent the next 2 hours with a couple of new friends we'd met there.
The next morning, Cap'n made my daughter some pancakes with her name on them! The beds are very comfortable, the rooms were very clean and all was quiet for us on a Friday night! Thanks for everything Conrad- we look forward to out next visit!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Nickie623
capnconrad, Supreme Allied Pancake Commander at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2008

Thanks for staying with us and glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry to have missed the Harry Potter as I still haven't seen it. I look forward to reviews on the places you went to/ate at etc!!

Reviewed December 30, 2007

It's difficult to find something to add to the plaudits already written here praising the Pirate Haus. This was our third visit in four years -that says something! It's just a great place to stay, at least it ticks all our boxes: its situation is perfect, right in the heart of things; it's fun and Conrad is an excellent host and a mine of information; it's clean and the beds are exceptionally comfortable; it has free internet access in the lounge where you are also likely to meet other interesting guests: not least it is amazing value - and of course there are the pancake breakfasts.
Of course this is not the place to come if you want maid service, your bed turned down in the evening and a chocolate on your pillow! We happily trade those services for an experience that is much more unique.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank malc16
capnconrad, Head Honcho In Charge at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2008

Thanks for your continued patronage! Indeed our chocolates are not placed on the pillow, but rather on the towels as you check in!! An unseen chocolate on the pillow can turn into a right mess by morning!! Thanks for your review, it's a fair comment on exactly what I want my place to be!

Reviewed November 17, 2007

The band director at my daughter's middle school booked us a 2 night stay at the Pirate Haus for our Spring Adventure. It was definitely an adventure. The St. Augustine atmosphere along with the funky, fun style at the Pirate Haus was a great time had by all. The kids and chaperones had the whole Pirate Haus to ourselves. The students really enjoyed having the outdoor rooftop patio for our Pizza Time dinner the night we arrived. We then followed it by a Pirate cruise with an authentic captain and crew. The next morning everyone had a chance to enjoy their fill of *pirate* pancakes and the adults got to have some great coffee. The host, Conrad, and the hostess, Elaine, were delightful and entertaining for the kids. The kids peppered Conrad with questions and he graciously answered. After breakfast we headed to Ripley's Believe it or Not museum and then on to the Fort....where we watched a re-enactment of the cannon being fired. To our surprise and delight, we recognized one of the cannon crew as our own Pirate Haus host, Conrad!!! That afternoon we all had free time to explore the cobblestone streets and shops. It was wonderful!! The smell coming from Kilwin's Ice Cream and Candy shop on Legacy Trail, wafts through the street. The last day we were there we went to the Alligator Farm, it was fine, just a bit overpriced, in my opinion.

By far the best part of the stay was the Pirate Haus. I am planning on my own family to take a trip there this spring....and have our own pirate adventure.

See ya then, Conrad and Elaine..............

• Stayed: April 2007
5  Thank angela4now
capnconrad, Supreme Commander Allied Forces at The Pirate Haus Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2007

Thank ye fer yer kind review. I think we still have leftover pizza from your group so we'll save it for ya!! Glad you all had a good time visiting our town!!!