“Great Food, Great Owner, Poor service..”

Barley Republic Public House
Ranked #57 of 597 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American, Irish, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Saint Augustine's only Irish Gastro-pub. Enjoy Craft beer, Craft food and Craft Spirits. Happy Hour: Mon-Fri 4-7 pm. This Irish bar and pub serves up traditional and contemporary Irish favorites like Shepherd's Pie, Bangers and Mash, and Fish & Chips as well as burgers and sandwiches.
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I am from Ireland and as a resident of St Augustine I was very excited to try this place as soon as I heard it was open. The bartender (owner) Red was brilliant craic and the drinks were good and the food was excellent!! Shame was the server was very inexperienced and not very good at all. We asked for the Deep Fried Bangers (on happy hour) and expected these served first ( as we instructed the server, while we decided on our main course) She put the order in (so we thought) and got us another round when she returned for our order I ordered the shepards pie and my friend ordered bangers and mash ( her first choice before we had ordered the the fried bangers) I reminded her that she had ordered fried bangers as an appetizer and she had wanted to order the ruben so she said yes and told the server she wanted the ruben instead of bangers and mash. The we waited..................... and waited.......................... and had some more drinks and waited..................... finally the fried bangers came out after Red noticed we were getting ancsy and two minutes later all the entrees arrived.......... AL THREE of them. We were two people eating and we got served 2 fried bangers (ordered), one sheppards pie (ordered), one ruben (ordered) and one bangers and mash (not ordered) We were very embarassed with all the food on our table plus the very obviously frightened inexperienced server and did not want to complain so we ate what possible and took all the rest home to go.
The restaurant is great, and all the food we had was absolutley amazing - and this is a real compliment coming from me as I usually will never order cottage or shepards pie out as I can make it better myself at home so would have given 5 star rating had it not been for the bad service. I am giving this review as I hope to return soon, being a local and all and I hope that they can maybe hire more experienced servers, as that really ruined our experience at the restaurant - otherwise I highly recomend especially for someone like me an irish person who lives in the US and desires a great sausage or fish n chips...

lmargolin, Owner at Barley Republic Public House, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

First and foremost, thank you so much for you honest review. Every review is helpful and the more details included the better. We are so glad you enjoyed the food, especially as a local and a true Irish man. We are very proud of the food we serve and want all of our customers to leave happy and satisfied. That being said, we are very sorry that you had such a poor experience with the service. We work hard to give all of our customers top of the line service that will leave them wanting to come back again and again. I am glad Red was there to help "solve" your service issues, but that does not excuse the servers behavior and we will be sure to take care of that right away. Thank you for letting us know about the good and the bad parts of your visit to Barley and we sincerely hope to improve your experience next time around.

There are newer reviews for Barley Republic Public House

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We ate at Barley Republic on a Thursday evening. The specials were amazing and you can never go wrong with Irish beer, but they were extremely understaffed, so the service left a little to be desired. Will eat there again, hopefully it was a one time event with the waitstaff.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

The fish and chips were awesome! The Guiness could only of been better served in Ireland.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Great food, great service.... Shepards pie terrific!

Reviewed March 17, 2012

My husband and I went into old dowtown late (9:30pm) after all the crowds were gone. We stumbled upon Barley Republic when were heard a bluegrass band playing there on a Tues night. They were great (and were also playing Irish tunes for St Patty's day) and we got a semi-private show that was really fun! The been selection was absolutely amazing. Unfortunately we already had dinner, so we did not look at the menu. We have a feeling that everything would have been good there, though! We got an incredible stout and you cant go wrong if you are in this area. The staff was also very nice.