“Not a bad hotel at all.”

Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. Yes the hotel is under renovation which was fine. The staff was extremely accommodating. Our family only needed a place to eat, shower and sleep. If that is what you need or an overnight stay then this hotel will fit your needs. Our breakfast was included and I have to say that it was the most pleasant part of our stay. Laurie, the breakfast attendant was so nice and refreshing to encounter each morning. She is such an asset to the hotel. Extremely warm and personable and her detail and attention to everyone she was serving was incredible. The front desk staff was very accommodating and knowledgeable about the area. Everyone that worked at the hotel was very nice even when walking through or encountering them on an elevator. Our only con was that we had four people and had to ask for four large towels not a big deal. Our room had a microwave and refrigerator which was a plus. There are no safes, however this also was not a big deal. Not sure on the problem, but beware of the scalding hot water in the shower which may be scary for anyone traveling with small kids. I would think that after all the renovations this hotel will be perfect. We had a great stay and would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Hi and thank you for spending some time with us. We are going through a renovation and we are in the last stages so we do appreciate everyones patience as we go through these fantastic changes and do apologize if we have offended anyone during this time.
We have taking care of the hot water problem, when we find out through tripadvisor we jumped right on it and rectified it. So thank you for letting us know.
We hope to see you come back and visit us after the renovation.
Many Thanks

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I would not recommend this hotel. The pictures must be really old. The rooms smelled really bad and the bathroom was very small and dirty. My family felt dirty after leaving. The balcony door didn't work well either. We checked out and went up the road a little and found a nicer hotel for less money. I would save your money and your time. DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!

Room Tip: Don't stay in any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

I thank you for going on Tripadvisor and leaving a comment on a hotel. However you do have the wrong hotel as our htel does not have balconies or dors that lead outside, i do apologize for that hotel not exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Was not sure how the stay would be after some of the reviews I read. Check in was quick and efficient. Staff member was not rude just down to business. Room was close to pool. Never heard any of the kids playing in the pool. Clean, cool, and bed was nice. I would probably walk to downtown if had more time and cooler weather. Parked at the fort 4hr maximum at the meter. Shower was good hot but good. Slept awesome.

Stayed: August 2014

Hi there and thank you for the comments, sleep is very important and i am glad yours was good while staying with us . We want our guests to enjoy their stay and feel comfortable and wake up fresh to take on another day of site seeing .
We look forward to your next vist to the oldest city in America.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Just staid for one night, it was recently remodeled. Clean and comfy. The free breakfast was more than I expected, not just cereal and yogurt but pastries, eggs,fruits. It was buffet style and the service was excellent, they even offered take out.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Hi and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn as your destination. We do appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay and i a so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefuly we will seee you come back and visit us soon and dont forget about nights of lights celebration and that starts after thanksgiving and goes into January 2015.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Without going into details, the front desk employee was horrible. She obviously hated her job and has no idea what customer service is. I don't know her name since her name tag was covered by her jacket lapel. She is a young, in her 20's, black woman who did nothing to make our check in pleasurable. We had to go back down to the desk to inquire about out Priority Club check in gift, which my wife reminded me that we never received. The same employee stated that they were out since someone forgot to order them. She told me that we would be receiving 500 points instead as she wrote my info down onto a notebook. I asked her why I had to come back down and inquire about it and if I would have received nothing if I didn't. She told me that the night mgr would take care of it. I still need to call in to make sure this happened.
Apparently the head of housekeeping, I think her name is Regina, approached me as I walked away. She obviously witnessed my deplorable check in experience and took it upon herself to apologize for the hotel for what had happened and explained a few other things which totally diffused the situation. She is an asset to this hotel. She should be working at the front desk!

Later, when I was at the pool with 2 of our sons, it got dark and neither the pool lights or the lights surrounding the pool area turned on. I saw a telephone on the wall, so I called the front desk only to have the same check in employee answer. I explained the lighting situation and asked if the lights could be turned on since it was very dark and it was hard to see in and around the pool. She simply said that the lights will turn on by themselves. A couple sitting near the phone laughed and said that the lights have not turned on at all during their stay at the hotel so far. Unacceptable! We finally left the pool since it was just too dark and unsafe to keep swimming with our young sons.

As far as the hotel itself and the other staff, we've had no issues. The carpeting in the hallways is in need of either replacing or reinstalling since it's bubbling along the center, the entire length of the hallways. The rooms are very nice and clean. The beds unfortunately were not very comfortable. We only stayed that one night and stayed elsewhere in hopes of a better experience. This was the 2nd Holiday Inn that we stayed in during our trip and will be the last time we stay at this one. The Holiday Inn in Ocala, Fl felt as if we were in a five star hotel. The rooms and property were pristine as well as the staff was exceptional!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
1  Thank Wally-Tonya C

Hi and thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all feedback as it does help us improve services and we take all coments very seriously especialy when it comes to customer service as we want all of our guests to have a wonderful experience staying with us.
I see you did not have a pleasant experience and i would like to learn more what transpired during your stay with us. At your earliest convinience if yu could give me a call at 904 494 2100 or email me at barry.peckham@jalaramhotels.com, i would greatly appreciate it.
Barry Peckham

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Our room was very clean and the beds and pillows were amazing. It was so comfortable we didn't want to get up! Staff was very polite. The pool area was also very nice and they provided towels. Only downfall was the restaurant was less than satisfactory.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Hi and thank you for staying with us . I am glad you found the room clean and fresh and with our newly renovated rooms they are even better.
We are working on the restaurant with a whole new fresh idea, and we are all excited about the change.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Booked this room a few months in advance of a vacation to the area. St. Augustine was a side trip from our main vacation site so we only stayed one night. This was our first visit to the St. Augustine area. Based on the price of this two queen bed sute ($160+), I expected a pleasant stay in a nice room. That is not what we got. After a few issues, I started to make a list, I'll be kind and start with the good things.
Pros:
- easy to locate
- really nice beds, great bedding, very comfortable
- two tv's
- lots of plug in's - this was pointed out by our two teenagers
- free wi-fi

Cons:
- water in shower was scalding hot, I mean hot hot. There was a very small area between cold and blistering, you had to be very careful.
- after one shower, water in tub wouldn't drain, we waited 30 min for it to drain out - we did this four times- a shower for each of us
- smoke alarm in main room was hanging off the wall- just dangling there
- we used the pull out sofa and got the extra bedding set from the closet- the sheets were wet, not damp but wet. I couldn't use them on the bed, had to sleep on the blanket.
- no do not disturb sign to put out- housekeeping knocked on our door before we were even awake (9:00 am ish - it was our vacation, we slept in)
- check in person, a gentlemen, was overly friendly- like creepy friendly. Even questioned why we were only staying one night. He said " I was hoping for a long, fulfilling, check in relationship." Creepy! (Especially with two teenage daughters along.)
- there were carpet pieces missing in our room, you know how there is a 3-4 inch strip of carpet that runs on the wall above the carpet, it was missing in a few corners of our room. This did not affect our stay but was a bit tacky.
- ice bucket leaked. We had filled in in the evening and set it on the side table. We were awakened in the middle of the night to 'drip, drip, drip" as it ran off the table top onto our luggage.
- in a room that would sleep six, we got two bath towels. Had to go ask at the front desk for a few more. To which he replied "I suppose, just for you." Creepiness continued.
- hotel was remodeling or replacing carpet, it was kind of a mess. I realize this is a necessity but is summer, the busy season, the best time to do this? Also, an email with "Sorry for our mess." would have been a great heads up.

At checkout they always ask, "How was your stay?" Did she really want to know? I got out my list. I got to number three and she said "I'll discount your room." She didn't even let me finish. So, we got a 50% discount, which was appreciated but still made the cost over $80. Still too much in my opinion for what we encountered.

Maybe it was simply a series of unfortunate events but I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank saylesfam

Thank you for your review and all feedback is very helpful to us as we can take care of any issues that may arise. I see your stay with us was not a typical great stay with us. I am so sorry that had a had abad experience and we are working on all the issues you had mentioned.
I would love to talk to you about your stay and i can be contacted at 904 494 5100 or at barry.peckham@jalaramhotels.com.
Our renovation is almost done and the end product is looking really good.