“Quiet room”

Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Was not sure how the stay would be after some of the reviews I read. Check in was quick and efficient. Staff member was not rude just down to business. Room was close to pool. Never heard any of the kids playing in the pool. Clean, cool, and bed was nice. I would probably walk to downtown if had more time and cooler weather. Parked at the fort 4hr maximum at the meter. Shower was good hot but good. Slept awesome.

Stayed: August 2014
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Hi there and thank you for the comments, sleep is very important and i am glad yours was good while staying with us . We want our guests to enjoy their stay and feel comfortable and wake up fresh to take on another day of site seeing .
We look forward to your next vist to the oldest city in America.
Barry

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Just staid for one night, it was recently remodeled. Clean and comfy. The free breakfast was more than I expected, not just cereal and yogurt but pastries, eggs,fruits. It was buffet style and the service was excellent, they even offered take out.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Hi and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn as your destination. We do appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay and i a so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefuly we will seee you come back and visit us soon and dont forget about nights of lights celebration and that starts after thanksgiving and goes into January 2015.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Without going into details, the front desk employee was horrible. She obviously hated her job and has no idea what customer service is. I don't know her name since her name tag was covered by her jacket lapel. She is a young, in her 20's, black woman who did nothing to make our check in pleasurable. We had to go back down to the desk to inquire about out Priority Club check in gift, which my wife reminded me that we never received. The same employee stated that they were out since someone forgot to order them. She told me that we would be receiving 500 points instead as she wrote my info down onto a notebook. I asked her why I had to come back down and inquire about it and if I would have received nothing if I didn't. She told me that the night mgr would take care of it. I still need to call in to make sure this happened.
Apparently the head of housekeeping, I think her name is Regina, approached me as I walked away. She obviously witnessed my deplorable check in experience and took it upon herself to apologize for the hotel for what had happened and explained a few other things which totally diffused the situation. She is an asset to this hotel. She should be working at the front desk!

Later, when I was at the pool with 2 of our sons, it got dark and neither the pool lights or the lights surrounding the pool area turned on. I saw a telephone on the wall, so I called the front desk only to have the same check in employee answer. I explained the lighting situation and asked if the lights could be turned on since it was very dark and it was hard to see in and around the pool. She simply said that the lights will turn on by themselves. A couple sitting near the phone laughed and said that the lights have not turned on at all during their stay at the hotel so far. Unacceptable! We finally left the pool since it was just too dark and unsafe to keep swimming with our young sons.

As far as the hotel itself and the other staff, we've had no issues. The carpeting in the hallways is in need of either replacing or reinstalling since it's bubbling along the center, the entire length of the hallways. The rooms are very nice and clean. The beds unfortunately were not very comfortable. We only stayed that one night and stayed elsewhere in hopes of a better experience. This was the 2nd Holiday Inn that we stayed in during our trip and will be the last time we stay at this one. The Holiday Inn in Ocala, Fl felt as if we were in a five star hotel. The rooms and property were pristine as well as the staff was exceptional!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
1  Thank Wally-Tonya C

Hi and thank you for your feedback, we appreciate all feedback as it does help us improve services and we take all coments very seriously especialy when it comes to customer service as we want all of our guests to have a wonderful experience staying with us.
I see you did not have a pleasant experience and i would like to learn more what transpired during your stay with us. At your earliest convinience if yu could give me a call at 904 494 2100 or email me at barry.peckham@jalaramhotels.com, i would greatly appreciate it.
Barry Peckham

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Our room was very clean and the beds and pillows were amazing. It was so comfortable we didn't want to get up! Staff was very polite. The pool area was also very nice and they provided towels. Only downfall was the restaurant was less than satisfactory.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Hi and thank you for staying with us . I am glad you found the room clean and fresh and with our newly renovated rooms they are even better.
We are working on the restaurant with a whole new fresh idea, and we are all excited about the change.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Booked this room a few months in advance of a vacation to the area. St. Augustine was a side trip from our main vacation site so we only stayed one night. This was our first visit to the St. Augustine area. Based on the price of this two queen bed sute ($160+), I expected a pleasant stay in a nice room. That is not what we got. After a few issues, I started to make a list, I'll be kind and start with the good things.
Pros:
- easy to locate
- really nice beds, great bedding, very comfortable
- two tv's
- lots of plug in's - this was pointed out by our two teenagers
- free wi-fi

Cons:
- water in shower was scalding hot, I mean hot hot. There was a very small area between cold and blistering, you had to be very careful.
- after one shower, water in tub wouldn't drain, we waited 30 min for it to drain out - we did this four times- a shower for each of us
- smoke alarm in main room was hanging off the wall- just dangling there
- we used the pull out sofa and got the extra bedding set from the closet- the sheets were wet, not damp but wet. I couldn't use them on the bed, had to sleep on the blanket.
- no do not disturb sign to put out- housekeeping knocked on our door before we were even awake (9:00 am ish - it was our vacation, we slept in)
- check in person, a gentlemen, was overly friendly- like creepy friendly. Even questioned why we were only staying one night. He said " I was hoping for a long, fulfilling, check in relationship." Creepy! (Especially with two teenage daughters along.)
- there were carpet pieces missing in our room, you know how there is a 3-4 inch strip of carpet that runs on the wall above the carpet, it was missing in a few corners of our room. This did not affect our stay but was a bit tacky.
- ice bucket leaked. We had filled in in the evening and set it on the side table. We were awakened in the middle of the night to 'drip, drip, drip" as it ran off the table top onto our luggage.
- in a room that would sleep six, we got two bath towels. Had to go ask at the front desk for a few more. To which he replied "I suppose, just for you." Creepiness continued.
- hotel was remodeling or replacing carpet, it was kind of a mess. I realize this is a necessity but is summer, the busy season, the best time to do this? Also, an email with "Sorry for our mess." would have been a great heads up.

At checkout they always ask, "How was your stay?" Did she really want to know? I got out my list. I got to number three and she said "I'll discount your room." She didn't even let me finish. So, we got a 50% discount, which was appreciated but still made the cost over $80. Still too much in my opinion for what we encountered.

Maybe it was simply a series of unfortunate events but I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank saylesfam

Thank you for your review and all feedback is very helpful to us as we can take care of any issues that may arise. I see your stay with us was not a typical great stay with us. I am so sorry that had a had abad experience and we are working on all the issues you had mentioned.
I would love to talk to you about your stay and i can be contacted at 904 494 5100 or at barry.peckham@jalaramhotels.com.
Our renovation is almost done and the end product is looking really good.
Barry

Reviewed July 10, 2014

This hotel was the second we stayed in on a tour of the south. I was very disappointed in our room. Our view was of a fenced in area which housed all of the air conditioning units - yuck. We kept the drapes closed all the time. The bathroom had been renovated. Unfortunately there was no tub and they had used "floor-type" tiles in the shower which were super slippery. Also breakfast was not included in the price of our stay :( Lastly, the laundry area has no air coming in. It must be 110 degrees in there -really uncomfortable even for the short time it takes to do laundry. Bring your own pillow - Even though these are new - they are polyfill -yuck. This hotel is not as close to the historic sites as one might think.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear Readergirl2014,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room assignment prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 28, 2014

We have never been treated so well as I was from the moment I checked in. Thanks to Michele Lopez (Front desk clerk)! She not only gave us great service at check-in, she also helped us with directions and info that make are visit easy and very enjoyable. We were also surprised by the attitude and service given us by Lourie when we visitd the restaurant for breakfast. These ladies should be informed that are the reason we will stay with Holiday Inn in are future visits.
Please Thank Them.

Room Tip: We had a grandchild with us, so we choose third floor overlooking pool. Great choice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for a great review on our hotel and i will share your comments with our staff. Feedback is important to us as it helps us identify problems and also helps us reward our staff.
We look forward to you coming back and the best time to come back for a visit is during nights of lights celebration which happens just after Thanksgiving.
Thank you again.