“Had a great stay!”

Ranked #31 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
savannah
“Had a great stay!”
Reviewed September 4, 2008

First of all, I would like to say this was not my first visit to St. Augustine. I visited this city earlier in the year and stayed at the Days Inn Historic District right next door ,and although I loved the city, I hated that hotel! The rooms smelled like mold and the carpet was absolutely disgusting! After walking around in the room for just a few minutes the bottoms of my socks were completely black. So when my husband and I wanted to travel to St. Augustine again, we definitely did NOT want to stay there again.
This time we stayed at the Holiday Inn (right next door to that crummy Days Inn) from Sept. 1st - 3rd 2008. We had a wonderful stay. The room was very clean. The bed was comfortable, there were plenty of pillows. The water pressure in the shower was great. I was even suprised to see the hotel offered room service, and indulged in breakfast in bed, always a nice treat on vacation. My favorite feature, - the room had a digital thermostat which meant we could set the exact temperature in the room. No fiddling all night with those annoying hot-warm-cool-cold type knobs that you can never seem to get adjusted just right like hotels usually have.
The location is perfect. We could enter from Ponce de Leon and San Marco ( which is important, since almost everything is located off of San Marco). Although the hotel does not offer shuttle service to the trolley station, there is a welcome center only 0.25 miles from the hotel, so we just walked to it. It is nice being able to park the car and never having to drive again the entire stay! My husband and I enjoy the charm of St. Augustine alot, and we will definitley stay at this Holiday Inn again. I recommend it to anyone else traveling to the area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no shuttle service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kirgeo
HolidayInn32084, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, August 1, 2015
Thank you for writing your review.

We noticed this review is quite old but had never been responded too. We have a new management team and want to make sure we respond to all reviews, positive and negative. This will allow us to improve our hotel. The hotel has renovated it's lobby & rooms.

Thank you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
South Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We booked this room on a trip to Miami for a cruise. The room was nice on first glance, however there were issues upon further inspection. I am not a picky person, and most things I can get by, but when the list became longer and longer, I had to speak up. When we arrived, there was trash on the desk, a used tissue at that - ok, we picked it up and tossed it, didn't say anything. Secondly, there was a used bar of soap in the bath tub, getting a little more irritated, but we dealt. Third - there were only 3 towels for 4 people in the room - so... my youngest ended up sharing a towel. Fourth, the icing on the cake - when I pulled the covers back for bed - it was very obvious the linens had not been changed - the mattress impression was in the sheet, like happens when you lay in the bed, and there was hair all in the bed. I called and proceeded to give them my list of things and asked for clean sheets. I had to change the sheets myself. My children would not even sleep under the sheets - lucky for them they had brought blankets and pillows. Management did refund $50 for the room which initially was $89 - however I would have probably refunded the whole amount had it been me. We were only there for one night and stayed the next night at Crowne Plaza - which exceeded all my expectations and only cost $15 more a night.

• Liked — Received priority club points
  • Disliked — Not within walking distance of historical part of town, cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Valdosta, Ga
Reviewed August 7, 2008

This is a very nice hotel and for the price you cant beat it. We spent 3 days and 2 nights here. It is very clean and comfortable. The pool is also nice and kept very clean. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. They even allowed us to have a later check out when we asked. This hotel is a short distance from "Antique Alley" and the rest of the historic part of St. Augustine. Also it is less then a 7 minute drive to the beach. This was our first vacation as a new family and it was great. This is a great place to stay if your on a tight budget. We will be coming back!!

• Liked — Location and Service
  • Disliked — Not having enough days off to enjoy everything.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at Holiday Inn for 2 nights and had a comfortable stay. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and roomy enough. Housekeeping did a great job and gave us extra towels as requested. There was a fridge and microwave in the room, which was perfect, since we were traveling with children. A $20 breakfast coupon came with our room rate and it paid for 2 adults, even if we opted to go a la carte. The children eat the buffet breakfast for free, so it helped in saving us on food.

As for the location, it's not on the main road in the historic district, but it's around the corner. If you plan on doing the tours of St. Augustine, then the red trolley shuttle will pick you up at the hotel and take you to the main station to get your tickets. They'll also pick you up from the main station and take you back to the hotel. So, we didn't need to use the car to tour and there is no parking fee at the hotel, so it worked out great!

• Liked — The $20 breakfast coupon.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family

Philadelphia
Reviewed July 5, 2008

The Holiday Inn Historic is about a block from the Mission and Old Jail. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are nice. There is an outdoor pool but its not very large. The staff are very nice as well.

• Liked — Very Clean
  • Disliked — Breakfast is not included
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelWeeklyForWork

Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This is the 3rd time that I have stayed at this hotel and it is just a really comfortable place to stay. The staff is so accommodating. From the front desk to room service, the restaurant, and management; all are so friendly and make you feel so welcome. Barbara in housekeeping is wonderful and has been there since the first time I was there 5 yrs. ago. She actually remembers me by name. Maggie and Angie are almost always around to suggest and guide, which saves time, and I never have enough time when I am down there. And the GM, Joe, is like your best friend. He takes the time to let all guests know that he appreciates them and that they are important. Not just income for his business, but as a person. Many managers try to avoid being bothered with small talk. Speaking of income, the price is not bad at all, for the quality and convenience. Everything is so clean, and timely, as it only took a couple of minutes to check in and we were a bit early. The location is completely convenient. Close to everything. As always, I am looking forward to my next visit, and hopefully, Joe and his crew are looking forward to it, as well. I am sure they are, as I am always treated just like everyone else-- "SPECIAL". Thank-You all--see you next year--God Willing. Kathy Baker--Springfield, Ohio

• Liked — The staff at the hotel, the price, the location, food, room service, the pool and whirlpool
  • Disliked — I had to leave, sadly
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank SpecialK53

tampa fl
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Not walking distance to the historic downtown, but short distance drive to everything. Welcome center just a few steps away. Very clean hotel. Great service. My shower curtain had mold and I told the cleaning lady. She didn't clean it , she change it! Even in the Ritz hotel I had that problem and they didn't change it. Anything you need, you just call and they provide. Very good breakfast buffet for $8.00. Also a Village Inn, Mc Donald's and Burguer King walking distance.

Stayed June 2008