“Very noisy hotel”

Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Hard to find…located behind an auto repair shop frontage off the main highway. Standard HI hotel layout with hallway down the middle and rooms on both sides, crosswalk doors in the middle of building. Outside pool. Benjy checked us in and was friendly with lots of local information and restaurant suggestions. However he fails at room assignments. He read aloud from onscreen my request for a QUIET room and proceeded to place me in a room with an internal connecting door with a bawling baby and brawling parents! When we returned from dinner, the hall was filled with two bus-loads of teenage girls in PJ’s running up and down the length of the building for a slumber party. Loudest hotel I have ever seen, with complete lack of sleep. Upon checkout, Michele was sympathetic to our lack of sleep due to noise. But there is nothing unique about this place other than noise.

Room Tip: If there is a tour bus or school bus in the lot, cancel your reservation and keep going. Very high...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

First of all I see that it was not as easy to locate us as expected and for that I apologize. I will let Benjamin know that he was gracious to you upon check in but unfortunately did not place you as requested. Overall I apologize for the noise issue during your stay and I appreciate you mentioning it so that we may improve our room assignments during group stays. Thank you and take care.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

If your coming to st aug for first time may want to stay closer to downtown. Parking in the city is terrible. The room had a funky smell to me. My girlfriend did not smell anything. Everything else was clean. Staff very friendly. Other guest not so much. Good hotel can be better. Charged 7 dollars more than I reserved for when I checked in

• Stayed: February 2014
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for any odor in your room, and any time during a stay we will be more than happy to deodorize your accommodations for you. I will let the staff know that their friendliness was appreciated. As to the $7, our rooms are authorized for either 7% or $7 over the room rent depending upon the method of payment, but the room charge is all that remains for the charge. Thank you again and have a great day.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

The manager Benjy went out of his way to make our stay exceptional. Thanks for the hospitality. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in St Augustine. The rooms are clean and the location is exceptional. .........................

• Stayed: February 2014

You are correct that Benjamin is an execptional individual. Any time you find yourself in the St Augustine area, please visit us and give us the opportunity to continue to give you marvelous service. Take care.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I just spent 3 nights in St. Augustine at this Holiday Inn. The place was very nice, very comfortable, quiet. Some reviews say this is not near the historic district like advertised but we walked the 5 or 6 blocks to it and walked the 2 or 3 blocks to the Old Jail and The Fountain of Youth with no problems. The only complaint we have is we found a really good deal on the internet. Well, it did not include breakfast. I can't ever remember being at a hotel that did not offer some kind of continental breakfast. The desk told us the reason we did not get breakfast was because of what we paid per night. She said "if you would book a room today", and she checked her computer, the cost would have been $25 more a night. Kind of steep for a breakfast if you ask me. So watch the small print when booking. The price we paid was perfect and worth the walk to the cute coffee shop a few doors down each morning, mush cheaper than $25.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

I am happy to see that our location in the historic district was good for your needs. As to the breakfast, I am sorry for any inconvenience in that area and if it helps, I suggest using the Holiday Inn site and choosing the breakfast included rate. It is only $10 more for two people. Thank you for everything and have a fantastic day.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We were traveling from Miami to St Augustine as advised by a few people and decided to stop here to rest for the night. (we stayed only 1 night).
We were checked in by a very nice and helpful gentleman called Benjy; whom advised us were to go and were to eat. (by the way we eat in A1A Ale Works) BRILLIANT FOOD.
OVER ALL VERY HAPPY WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE and the hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Your decision to stay with us is very much appreciated. I will let Benjamin know that he made your experience a pleasant one. Please visit us again when you are in the St Augustine area.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

After a desk clerk at check in included breakfast in our rate and forgot to give the voucher, a certain woman clerk refused to make it right the next morning. She bad-mouthed her co-worker and gave me one voucher. Sorry Honey, you're on your own. Well, as we returned that evening, Benjy asked how we were doing, so I let him know. He apologized, gave a voucher for 2, and asked what else he could do to make it right. Of the 3 desk clerks we dealt with, one we average, one needs much coaching in customer service, and all should take a lesson from Benjy!

Overall, the hotel meets the Holiday Inn standards.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank randrews30

Thank you for relaying the information regarding your stay. Benjamin is definitely an asset to the hotel. As to the clerk in the morning, I deeply apologize for the incident. We strive to make our guests' experience a pleasant one and unfortunately we did not hit the mark all of the way during your stay. Once again we appreciate everything and have a fantastic day.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Benjy provided the best customer service! He provided great advice for the surrounding area and attractions with a positive attitude! Everyone needs a Benjy on staff- he is a gem!

I am doing the Happy Dance!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Benjamin is truly a gem for us as well. I am always confident that Benjamin will go the extra mile for all of our guests. As you know, it also takes a team to make it go right so I trust that everyone took care of your needs. Any time you find yourself in St Augustine please come and visit us. Take care.