“OK, but needs attention”

Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic
Ranked #28 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We booked this room on a trip to Miami for a cruise. The room was nice on first glance, however there were issues upon further inspection. I am not a picky person, and most things I can get by, but when the list became longer and longer, I had to speak up. When we arrived, there was trash on the desk, a used tissue at that - ok, we picked it up and tossed it, didn't say anything. Secondly, there was a used bar of soap in the bath tub, getting a little more irritated, but we dealt. Third - there were only 3 towels for 4 people in the room - so... my youngest ended up sharing a towel. Fourth, the icing on the cake - when I pulled the covers back for bed - it was very obvious the linens had not been changed - the mattress impression was in the sheet, like happens when you lay in the bed, and there was hair all in the bed. I called and proceeded to give them my list of things and asked for clean sheets. I had to change the sheets myself. My children would not even sleep under the sheets - lucky for them they had brought blankets and pillows. Management did refund $50 for the room which initially was $89 - however I would have probably refunded the whole amount had it been me. We were only there for one night and stayed the next night at Crowne Plaza - which exceeded all my expectations and only cost $15 more a night.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
HolidayInn32084, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2015

Thank you for writing your review.

We noticed this review is quite old but had never been responded too. We have a new management team and want to make sure we respond to all reviews, positive and negative. This will allow us to improve our hotel. The hotel has renovated it's lobby & rooms.

Reviewed August 7, 2008

This is a very nice hotel and for the price you cant beat it. We spent 3 days and 2 nights here. It is very clean and comfortable. The pool is also nice and kept very clean. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. They even allowed us to have a later check out when we asked. This hotel is a short distance from "Antique Alley" and the rest of the historic part of St. Augustine. Also it is less then a 7 minute drive to the beach. This was our first vacation as a new family and it was great. This is a great place to stay if your on a tight budget. We will be coming back!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at Holiday Inn for 2 nights and had a comfortable stay. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and roomy enough. Housekeeping did a great job and gave us extra towels as requested. There was a fridge and microwave in the room, which was perfect, since we were traveling with children. A $20 breakfast coupon came with our room rate and it paid for 2 adults, even if we opted to go a la carte. The children eat the buffet breakfast for free, so it helped in saving us on food.

As for the location, it's not on the main road in the historic district, but it's around the corner. If you plan on doing the tours of St. Augustine, then the red trolley shuttle will pick you up at the hotel and take you to the main station to get your tickets. They'll also pick you up from the main station and take you back to the hotel. So, we didn't need to use the car to tour and there is no parking fee at the hotel, so it worked out great!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 5, 2008

The Holiday Inn Historic is about a block from the Mission and Old Jail. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are nice. There is an outdoor pool but its not very large. The staff are very nice as well.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelWeeklyForWork

Reviewed June 21, 2008

This is the 3rd time that I have stayed at this hotel and it is just a really comfortable place to stay. The staff is so accommodating. From the front desk to room service, the restaurant, and management; all are so friendly and make you feel so welcome. Barbara in housekeeping is wonderful and has been there since the first time I was there 5 yrs. ago. She actually remembers me by name. Maggie and Angie are almost always around to suggest and guide, which saves time, and I never have enough time when I am down there. And the GM, Joe, is like your best friend. He takes the time to let all guests know that he appreciates them and that they are important. Not just income for his business, but as a person. Many managers try to avoid being bothered with small talk. Speaking of income, the price is not bad at all, for the quality and convenience. Everything is so clean, and timely, as it only took a couple of minutes to check in and we were a bit early. The location is completely convenient. Close to everything. As always, I am looking forward to my next visit, and hopefully, Joe and his crew are looking forward to it, as well. I am sure they are, as I am always treated just like everyone else-- "SPECIAL". Thank-You all--see you next year--God Willing. Kathy Baker--Springfield, Ohio

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank SpecialK53

Reviewed June 9, 2008

Not walking distance to the historic downtown, but short distance drive to everything. Welcome center just a few steps away. Very clean hotel. Great service. My shower curtain had mold and I told the cleaning lady. She didn't clean it , she change it! Even in the Ritz hotel I had that problem and they didn't change it. Anything you need, you just call and they provide. Very good breakfast buffet for $8.00. Also a Village Inn, Mc Donald's and Burguer King walking distance.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank francelly

Reviewed June 5, 2008

I stayed the night at this hotel. The hotel was nice and clean. However the people running the show there are horrible. I had forgotten a baby blanket there that morning when we checked out. I realized it that Sunday 5-11-08. I called and they had me leave a message with the House keeping manager. He Never returned my call back. I then went by there a couple days later, they couldn't get to the lost and found, it was locked up. I then made another call, they then sent me to the house keeping manager. This time I talke to him and he told me he would check his log and call me back. Still no return call to follow. I had made another call- left a message, no return call. I called yesterday 6-4-08 and spoke to the hotel manager, I told her the situation, she wanted my information (Name, date I stayed there, room #)and PROMISED me she'd call me back. Did she call me back? NO!!I then called this morning 6-5-08 and left yet another message for the hotel manager. Surprisingly at 11:43 on 6-5-08 I got a call back! He told me we don't have it! I said did you throw it away? All he could tell me is it's not in the log. I personally think that is a lie and they are to lazy actually check. Why they couldn't give me an answer a month ago, I don't know. I think it is unfare to give someone the run around. That baby blanket is a airloom and has been in my family for a VERY long time. I am disappointed that it can't be retrieved now because the hotel staff is lazy and careless with other peoples things! I live in St. Augustine and have people come visit from out of town a lot, I will never recommend this hotel to anyone! I will never stay at a Holiday Inn again, if the staff sucks this bad here I hate to know what they are like nation wide!!!!
Sadly Disappointed

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing your review.

Almost all the staff have changed since this review so we hope you have been to another Holiday Inn and had a good experience. Hope you give us another try.