“Never again”

Ranked #29 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Savannah, Georgia
“Never again”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Holiday Inn may say they are in the Historic District but it would be a long walk to get there. It's definitely in a fringe area. The hotel seems to cater to school groups because there were kids running around in the halls both nights we were there.
The room had a strange setup in that a large window with blinds separated the bathroom and bedroom. The tub was a large chipped jacuzzi and the shower head seemed to have been an afterthought.
The "gym" was tiny even by hotel gym standards and two of the three pieces of equipment didn't work. I couldn't get the tv to work either.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
On behalf of the staff at the Holiday Inn Historic I very much apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. The first issue I see is that our location on the north end of the historic district was not expected and I apologize. As to the kids in the hall we do have the power to contact group chaperones and I will the front desk more dilligent in that area. Regarding the spa and gym, the necessary repair work will be done as soon as possible. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Leicester, England
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very comfortable two day stay in large room and enjoyed excellent breakfasts. Friendly and efficient staff a bonus.
Location is good and only a short walk into the centre of the historic district of the town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you kindly for the fantastic compliment of our breakfast. I am also ecstatic to see that the remainder of the staff was friendly and accommodating. I hope that you had a great time on your walk to the historic district and had lot of fun while there. Take care and have a marvelous day.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This property was OK but definitely NOT worth the advertised $129/night; I am glad that I used Priceline to get a reduced price of $89/night which was closer to an appropriate price for the quality of the stay. The room was clean and well appointed but the outside noise from the hallway was disturbing. People must enjoy running up and down the hallway yelling after 12 AM.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to see that the overall quality of the stay was not to your satisfaction. I am also thankful of your kind remarks about the hotel room cleanliness. As to the noise in the halls I very much apologize. Once more I appreciate your time and comments. Have a great day.

new jersey
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Recently stayed for four nights, during a golf trip. Very nice hotel! clean, well appointed rooms, lobby and restaurant.
close to all historic attractions. GREAT staff, friendly and professional. Restaurant staff in particular were wonderful , friendly and very attentive.

thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
From all of us, thank you very much for your great praise. I hope that your golfing trip was fun for your party. I will definiteley inform the staff that everyone did an excellent job taking care of you. I will make a special mention to the restaurant personnel also. Once more thank you kindly and take care.

Riverview, FL
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We walked to the historic area from the hotel twice while staying there and it was only a few blocks - sure was better than trying to find a place to park! The hotel was clean and quiet. The only concern was that the door to our room squeaked very loudly and we could not help but make a lot of noise as we prepared to leave very early on a Sunday morning. I would like to have told the desk clerk about the door as we were checking out but he was too pre-occupied with something else. The other staff that we encountered while we were there were friendly and pleasant.

1 Thank timekeeper13
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you kindly for such a gracious review. I am happy to see that you had a pleasant walk to the heart of the historic district. Also I thank you for letting us know that housekeeping did a superb job keeping the hotel clean during your visit. I apologize for the clerk being pre-occupied with another matter when you had an issue to pass along. Once more I appreciate you kind words and have a fantastic day.

Lake Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My girl friend and I stayed here two nights. The room smelled very strongly of mold and mildew and on the 2nd night they had added a freshner thing to the ac. My bare feet actually got dirty from walking on the carpet. i did not realize this until the second night after my shower and my feet got dirty again. We both had scratchy throats and irritated sinuses by the time we checked out. I realize I should have complained immediately but both of us thought we were being picky.
Breakfasts were good, staff was friendly, and otherwise the hotel was clean. However, don't order the Patty Melt if you are expecting a good hamburger. Definitely the worst Patty melt sandwich I have ever had. My friend's dinner of shrimp and rice was very good though.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms first and if not to your satisfaction, ask for another room. And don't get...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
I very much appreciate you sharing your experience with us. I apologize for the most troubling issue that I see regarding the mildew odor. Please do not think that you are being "picky" if you have to let us know of any problems with the accommodations. I will also let the staff know that you found everyone friendly. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. My girlfriend and I stayed for a weekend jaunt. The rooms were nicely appointed and the staff was friendly. The hotel was a little further outside downtown than I would have liked but it wasn't bad. I'd stay again.

• Stayed October 2013
I thank you for the pleasant review. I will let the staff know how accommodating everyone was during your stay. I hope the walk to the historic district was not too much trouble and that you enjoyed the shops along the way. Thank you very much for everything and have a fantastic day.