“Good location, good night sleep”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Riverview, FL
“Good location, good night sleep”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We walked to the historic area from the hotel twice while staying there and it was only a few blocks - sure was better than trying to find a place to park! The hotel was clean and quiet. The only concern was that the door to our room squeaked very loudly and we could not help but make a lot of noise as we prepared to leave very early on a Sunday morning. I would like to have told the desk clerk about the door as we were checking out but he was too pre-occupied with something else. The other staff that we encountered while we were there were friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank timekeeper13
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you kindly for such a gracious review. I am happy to see that you had a pleasant walk to the heart of the historic district. Also I thank you for letting us know that housekeeping did a superb job keeping the hotel clean during your visit. I apologize for the clerk being pre-occupied with another matter when you had an issue to pass along. Once more I appreciate you kind words and have a fantastic day.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Lake Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My girl friend and I stayed here two nights. The room smelled very strongly of mold and mildew and on the 2nd night they had added a freshner thing to the ac. My bare feet actually got dirty from walking on the carpet. i did not realize this until the second night after my shower and my feet got dirty again. We both had scratchy throats and irritated sinuses by the time we checked out. I realize I should have complained immediately but both of us thought we were being picky.
Breakfasts were good, staff was friendly, and otherwise the hotel was clean. However, don't order the Patty Melt if you are expecting a good hamburger. Definitely the worst Patty melt sandwich I have ever had. My friend's dinner of shrimp and rice was very good though.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms first and if not to your satisfaction, ask for another room. And don't get...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
I very much appreciate you sharing your experience with us. I apologize for the most troubling issue that I see regarding the mildew odor. Please do not think that you are being "picky" if you have to let us know of any problems with the accommodations. I will also let the staff know that you found everyone friendly. Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. My girlfriend and I stayed for a weekend jaunt. The rooms were nicely appointed and the staff was friendly. The hotel was a little further outside downtown than I would have liked but it wasn't bad. I'd stay again.

• Stayed October 2013
I thank you for the pleasant review. I will let the staff know how accommodating everyone was during your stay. I hope the walk to the historic district was not too much trouble and that you enjoyed the shops along the way. Thank you very much for everything and have a fantastic day.

Valdosta, GA
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I think I would have liked this hotel better if my room was not directly on the swimming pool. In the morning I heard a man scolding a little boy in some very bad language and I could hear what they were saying very clearly. The rooms were clean and above average. The location was not a bad distance from the historic area, but I am also a person who likes to walk. If you don't like to walk or cannot stand the heat, spend the money and get a closer hotel. My rating of "very good" is for the value and the cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you like free breakfast, they don't have it. Request a room away from the pool area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I very much appreciate you taking the time to share the highlights of your stay with us. I apologize for the commotion in the pool area and I hope that it did not last very long. I trust that you enjoyed the walk to the historic district and had plenty of fun while there. I will pass along the compliment to housekeeping about the rooms also. Take care and thank you once more.

Scotland
Reviewed September 2, 2013

By calling this average, I'm not meaning that there is anything wrong with it - in fact it's a good example of everything that can be right about this sort of hotel chain. You know what you're getting (clean room, comfortable beds,generally OK experience), and this place certainly delivers on all that. But that's about it really. Very friendly staff, and if St Augustine wasn't quite so hot and sticky it would be an easy walk to all the major downtown attractions. There's a fair sized swimming pool, but it almost never seemed to be in the shade which, with a hot sun shining into it, rather limits its usefulness. And don't get excited about the prospect of this hotel having a sort of restaurant. I say sort of because the dinner menu doesn't extend beyond microwaved dishes and essentially provides fast food. So, an average Holiday Inn. Nothing to write home about, but a comfortable enough place to stay. And it has free parking.

1 Thank Theologyprof
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to see that we delivered a stay on par with expected Holiday Inn standards, with a clean and comfortable room. I will also let the staff know that their attentiveness was noticed. Any time you find yourself in St Augustine, please come and visit us. Take care and have a fabulous day.

Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The room was not clean the carpet was terrible afraid to walk on the carpet without shoes and the whole expereince was not good. I attribute this to poor management for no excuses to keep a small room clean and detailed to the likings of a true Holiday Inn. We was stuck for four days and the cleaning issue didn't get any better. One otherthing the site shows a beautiful entrance with palm trees and such. The front of the Hotel is hidden from Ponce De leon Blvd for has a auto repair shop dead center in the front of the Hotel. Very misleading I tell You!!!! One thing for sure I'll never stay in any Holiday Inn again after expereincing what we encountered. The staff to my likings was mixed, some friendly and others just rude.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I appreciate you bringing the point of the carpet cleaning to our attention and it will be assuredly addressed. Regarding the repair facility in front of the hotel, I will take your observation under consideration. Finally, I regret that all of the employees you encountered were not as condial as others. Thank you again and have a great day.

Tampa, FL
Reviewed August 29, 2013

There are many choices for where to stay in St Augustine. We settled on the Holiday Inn for many reasons: We drove and parking at the hotel is free; we got some reward points to redeem later; the price at $129/night was good (as expected) and included a nice breakfast; it's reliable; and the location was okay--on the outskirts of the historic district, but a stones-throw from the Old Town Trolley depot (also free parking). The king room with sofa was comfortable with free wi-fi and internet access, and plenty of TV/movie channels. We stayed 2 nights early in the week as low season was beginning; the hotel was quiet. The entire staff was excellent. Front desk receptionists were very knowledgeable and helpful in getting us going with our first trip to the city. Next time we plan to stay at the St George Inn--highly rated by Trip Advisor. It's located IN the historic district. About $50 more a night, but the rooms are very nice! Just check on parking and breakfast before you book. The city is wonderful and we will go back! Great history, terrific sights, excellent shopping, and good restaurants (we lunched at A1A Ale House and had dinner at Raintree). People are friendly and laid back. If you are first-timers, take one of the trolley tours; they stops at all the important sites of interest. You can get off and on at any stop; the Old Town Trolley fare is good for 3 days. Know when attractions open/close, and when tours start. We had tickets to tour Flagler College (a must!), but since it's given by students and they were returning for the start of the Fall semester, we couldn't take the tour. as always, please e-mail me if you have any questions. Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: the hotel runs perpendicular to the main road. Noise is not a factor. Layout is good with easy acce...
1 Thank GeminiMan611
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
It is great to see that you found all of the advantages of your points, the price and our location. I will also let our breakfast personnel know that they did a superb job. I see that your visit to the historic district was fun filled and I trust that you will find time to come back to St Augustine. Take care and thank you so very much for such a fantastic review.