“A little out of the way, but a good value”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District
Ranked #32 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Valdosta, GA
“A little out of the way, but a good value”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I think I would have liked this hotel better if my room was not directly on the swimming pool. In the morning I heard a man scolding a little boy in some very bad language and I could hear what they were saying very clearly. The rooms were clean and above average. The location was not a bad distance from the historic area, but I am also a person who likes to walk. If you don't like to walk or cannot stand the heat, spend the money and get a closer hotel. My rating of "very good" is for the value and the cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you like free breakfast, they don't have it. Request a room away from the pool area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I very much appreciate you taking the time to share the highlights of your stay with us. I apologize for the commotion in the pool area and I hope that it did not last very long. I trust that you enjoyed the walk to the historic district and had plenty of fun while there. I will pass along the compliment to housekeeping about the rooms also. Take care and thank you once more.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Scotland
Reviewed September 2, 2013

By calling this average, I'm not meaning that there is anything wrong with it - in fact it's a good example of everything that can be right about this sort of hotel chain. You know what you're getting (clean room, comfortable beds,generally OK experience), and this place certainly delivers on all that. But that's about it really. Very friendly staff, and if St Augustine wasn't quite so hot and sticky it would be an easy walk to all the major downtown attractions. There's a fair sized swimming pool, but it almost never seemed to be in the shade which, with a hot sun shining into it, rather limits its usefulness. And don't get excited about the prospect of this hotel having a sort of restaurant. I say sort of because the dinner menu doesn't extend beyond microwaved dishes and essentially provides fast food. So, an average Holiday Inn. Nothing to write home about, but a comfortable enough place to stay. And it has free parking.

1 Thank Theologyprof
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to see that we delivered a stay on par with expected Holiday Inn standards, with a clean and comfortable room. I will also let the staff know that their attentiveness was noticed. Any time you find yourself in St Augustine, please come and visit us. Take care and have a fabulous day.

Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The room was not clean the carpet was terrible afraid to walk on the carpet without shoes and the whole expereince was not good. I attribute this to poor management for no excuses to keep a small room clean and detailed to the likings of a true Holiday Inn. We was stuck for four days and the cleaning issue didn't get any better. One otherthing the site shows a beautiful entrance with palm trees and such. The front of the Hotel is hidden from Ponce De leon Blvd for has a auto repair shop dead center in the front of the Hotel. Very misleading I tell You!!!! One thing for sure I'll never stay in any Holiday Inn again after expereincing what we encountered. The staff to my likings was mixed, some friendly and others just rude.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I appreciate you bringing the point of the carpet cleaning to our attention and it will be assuredly addressed. Regarding the repair facility in front of the hotel, I will take your observation under consideration. Finally, I regret that all of the employees you encountered were not as condial as others. Thank you again and have a great day.

Tampa, FL
Reviewed August 29, 2013

There are many choices for where to stay in St Augustine. We settled on the Holiday Inn for many reasons: We drove and parking at the hotel is free; we got some reward points to redeem later; the price at $129/night was good (as expected) and included a nice breakfast; it's reliable; and the location was okay--on the outskirts of the historic district, but a stones-throw from the Old Town Trolley depot (also free parking). The king room with sofa was comfortable with free wi-fi and internet access, and plenty of TV/movie channels. We stayed 2 nights early in the week as low season was beginning; the hotel was quiet. The entire staff was excellent. Front desk receptionists were very knowledgeable and helpful in getting us going with our first trip to the city. Next time we plan to stay at the St George Inn--highly rated by Trip Advisor. It's located IN the historic district. About $50 more a night, but the rooms are very nice! Just check on parking and breakfast before you book. The city is wonderful and we will go back! Great history, terrific sights, excellent shopping, and good restaurants (we lunched at A1A Ale House and had dinner at Raintree). People are friendly and laid back. If you are first-timers, take one of the trolley tours; they stops at all the important sites of interest. You can get off and on at any stop; the Old Town Trolley fare is good for 3 days. Know when attractions open/close, and when tours start. We had tickets to tour Flagler College (a must!), but since it's given by students and they were returning for the start of the Fall semester, we couldn't take the tour. as always, please e-mail me if you have any questions. Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: the hotel runs perpendicular to the main road. Noise is not a factor. Layout is good with easy acce...
1 Thank GeminiMan611
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
It is great to see that you found all of the advantages of your points, the price and our location. I will also let our breakfast personnel know that they did a superb job. I see that your visit to the historic district was fun filled and I trust that you will find time to come back to St Augustine. Take care and thank you so very much for such a fantastic review.

Oxfordshire, UK
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed in the Holiday in on August 8th, along with my wife and two daughters, aged 9 and 7.

Location - The hotel is fairly close to the Historic Area, but do check on Google Maps first to make sure that it's close enough for your requirements. We drove down and managed to park quite easily within five minutes of leaving the hotel, but if you're planning to walk it might take you a little longer than is comfortable. The hotel itself is located on a fairly busy road, but it's set back quite a distance and the noise didn't intrude at all.

Room - The room was excellent, as you'd expect from Holiday Inn. A choice of pillows, two comfortable beds and all was clean and beautifully presented.

Staff - Check-in was smooth and polite, and all staff were friendly during our brief stay. We'd booked in advance online and everything was ready upon our arrival.

Facilities - We didn't eat in the hotel (see my other reviews for a recommendation of a local restaurant that was outstanding) and so can't comment on the food, but the dining area looked very elegant and inviting! The pool, whilst a little small was clean and allowed my girls to have a refreshing swim at the end of a busy day

Overall - A very comfortable and safe choice for your stay in St. Augustine. You certainly won't be disappointed if you stay here - it ticks all the boxers very well indeed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pinktama
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I am gratified to see that you found parking in the historic district in a short amount of time. I also appreciate you letting us know that the staff was efficient and that your accommodations were perfect for your needs. I hope that your girls had fun in the pool, and perhaps next time you will be able to avail yourself of the breakfast. Thank you for everything and have a fantastic day.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Holiday Inn & Suites Historic St. Augustine a few times over the course of the Summer on business and I must say it has been a true pleasure. The facility is fabulous, well-kept and meets every need and the staff from management to check-in to housekeeping to the restaurant staff make me feel like I'm at home. I would strongly recommend a stay at Holiday Inn in historic St Augustine....And say hello to Mark, Michelle, Kwami, and Laurie! See you all again soon!
Michael Hughes

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
I wish to give you my hearlfelt thanks for such a splendid review. I will let housekeeping, the front desk, maintenance and the restaurant personnel know that they did an excellent job taking care of you. Please come and visit us when you are in St Augustine again. Take care.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My Viet Nam veterans reunion was held at this hotel with about 50 people attending. It was an "outstanding event" held in the PERFECT hotel. The staff could not have been better from the booking manager, the front desk staff, the waitresses in the dining room, the maid service, and the cleaning staff. I did not hear one complaint about anything from anybody during the 5 day event.
The hotel furnished a large hospitality room, over 30 large guest rooms, plenty of parking and all of the ice, tables, introduction boards and red, white and blue decorations in the room.
My wife and I have stayed in many hotels in many places and this hotel was by far the most friendly and clean place we have ever stayed. The rooms are large with a microwave and refrigerator, tv, internet and comfortable clean beds. It is also within walking distance to all of the trolley stops, some of the historic attractions and many fine restaurants.
The complementary breakfast was a full breakfast buffet from cereal, baked goods, eggs, sausage/bacon, grits, corned beef hash, fruit, biscuits, sausage gravy, waffles and juice.
I will recommend this hotel to anyone whether you are just passing through St. Augustine or having a reunion of any sort. This hotel was clean, well maintained, excellently and professionally staffed and above anything else, FRIENDLY.
We had a great reunion thanks to this hotel and staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Your praise of our hotel is absolutely astounding and I very much appreciate it. I will take pleasure in passing along to the staff that you enjoyed their friendliness throughout your group's visit. I see that you found all of the attractions within walking distance and I trust that you had fun in the historic district. Also, thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed the breakfast. Once again I thank you for everything and please have your group visit us again in the future.