Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District
Ranked #27 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
“Good Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Location is a little bit of a walk to where all the shops are at but we used the car to get everywhere anyways. Rooms are clean. Staff are friendly. Just had the breakfast buffet (still staying at hotel as I write this). I've got to say, not bad. We prepaid for the breakfast so it came out to be $8 for adults and kids eat free. You'd spend a lot more and eat a lot less at Denny's next door.

Overall, good value for location.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
On behalf of the entire staff I thank you for taking the time to give us a positive accounting. I see that the staff was friendly and your accommodations were clean, and I appreciate you letting us know. I am happy to see that you took advantage of the breakfast buffet deal. Excellent choice. Thank you once more for everything and have a great day.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We just left the Holiday Inn Express in St. Augustine, FL on Ponce de Leon. We booked our one night stay through the hotel and received our AAA discount. The room was fine. We read that this hotel gives you a free breakfast. We read on their website. We did NOT receive a free breakfast because we received an AAA discount. The breakfast cost $12.99 each....We were told this after we had our juice, coffee and cereal. CHECK FIRST. The same thing happened to the three tables around us...eat and then then charge you. Very disappointed with the the lack of communication.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carol h
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
On behalf of the entire staff I apologize for any misunderstanding regarding breakfast. Our breakfast is indeed a full service breakfast, and we have a couple of rates on our website where a future guest may prepurchase the breakfast at a discounted price. I will be more than happy to review the wording to prevent any future miscommunications on the matter. Also, thank you for taking the time to pass along your positive experiences at our hotel. Take care and have a great day.

Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went to St Augustine for a wedding. The wedding schedule was moved up due to inclement weather, so we needed to check in early. We called ahead and the staff was very friendly and accommodating (thanks Miles). The rooms were clean, everything worked as it should. Our room was next to the elevator and I was concerned that we would hear everyone coming up and down the elevator, but didn't hear a peep. Every staff member we met was very friendly and helpful. The room looked just like the photos.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jlgharris
Thank you so very much for giving us a sterling review. I will let Miles know that he did an excellent job taking care of you. I am please to see that your accommodations were clean and the entire staff was friendly to you. Any time you are in St Augustine for a wedding or not, please come and visit us.

Marshfield, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Hotel was clean and the location is great! Walking distance to local events. So many ghost tours in the area. Visiting Anastasia Island is a must! Breakfast buffet seemed high at $10.99 a person though. I just came from Orlando and paid 5.99 a person for buffet.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Leslie J
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you for letting us know that your room was clean and I will pass it along to the housekeeping staff. I see that you had the chance to experience at least one of the ghost tours and visited the Island. That was a great idea and I hope that you had fun. I am sorry to see that you found the breakfast pricey. Thank you and have a great day.

Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

First off this hotel is NOT in the historic district.... it is 10 blocks away. Our room smelled terrible, the exhaust fan didn't work so there was no air circulation (the windows don't open). I repeatedly asked (4 times) for it to be fixed in the 2 nights we were there and no one even bothered to come and look at it (nor were we offered another room).

On the other hand the beds were comfortable and the shower was nice.

We got the breakfast rate for both mornings so we got the vouchers but only used one because the server in the hotel breakfast was EXTREMELY rude, the next morning we went to the hotel next door (that had a Denny's) and ate there. I would rather pay again for breakfast than eat at the hotel which is pretty bad.
Over all the hotel wasn't bad but the service needs a major overhaul!

Watch out for the "area information" guy sitting in the lobby, he pressures you to sign up for a meeting and isn't really interested in helping he just wants to meet his quota. I think that is shady for a hotel to have in the lobby but I was lucky he was talking to someone in front of me so I saw what he was up to and went to the front desk instead.
I will not stay here again, I will pay the extra money to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Joleen R
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your viewpoint. I regret that the location of the hotel was not as expected before your arrival. As to the server in the morning, I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience that morning. We take great pride in providing friendly service and the matter will be looked into. Thank you once more and have a great day.
Plant City, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

My wife, daughter and I spent three nights her over spring break. We picked a room that has two queen beds in the "bedroom" and a hideaway sleeper couch in the "other" room. The rooms were seperated by two sliding pocket doors that met in the middle. This worked great for our needs. Our daughter had her semi-privacy on the sleeper couch. The only problem I felt was that when we closed the pocket doors there was no AC in her room. She's cold natured so she didn't notice or complain but I'm not sure that would work for everyone. There was a thermostat in her room but it did not work. Since it wasn't a problem for her I didn't call the front desk to ask if it was supposed to work.

The room was clean, hot water was constant and the small fridge in the room was a plus. Supposedly with our room we were supposed to get some plastic bowls and utensils but they were out because of the number of families staying for spring break. They easily provided bowls and utensils from the buffet. We appreciated their quick asnwer in solving the problem.

The walk to the histroric district was a further than we wanted to walk. It was roughly 3/4 of a mile.

We would recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matthew P
I am grateful that you and your family enjoyed your stay overall. I apologize for the oversight of a lack of separate air conditioning in the area in your room which had the sofa sleeper. As to the walk to the historic district I regret that our location was as close as aspected, but I hope that you enjoyed the scenery. Finally, I am happy to see that the eating ware was provided from our dining area although not available for the suite. Thank you again and take care.

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

This Hotel was quiet and within walking distance to the Historical District. The desk clerk was very informative as to the Antique stores nearby and very helpful with locating on the map and circling our location and locations we wanted to visit. The beds were awesome. We had a very restful nights sleep. The breakfast which was included with our Priority membership was delicious, individually prepared as requested and nutritious. We would definitely recommend this location and would stay there again on our next trip through the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark F, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Augustine/Historical District, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am please to see that the walk to the historic district gave you the opportunity to see the antique shops. I appreciate the good word about the breakfast also, and I will pass it along to the dining personnel. Thank you once more and have a fabulous day.