“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #31 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Melbourne, Florida, United States
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. I was in town to run a half marathon and I will stay at this location again next year! The location was convenient to the historic district of St. Augustine so we were able to just walk. The hotel was also easy to access from the road so we could get out and explore the area.

Room Tip: Room 215 is right next to the elevator...I would steer clear of that room if you can to avoid noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Audrey S
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to give us you praise. I will happily pass along to the staff that everyone treated you well. Also, I am please to hear that the location was convenient for the walk to the Historic District. Thank you very much for time and kind words. Please come and visit us again when you return to St. Augustine.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Weston, Florida
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed here for a 36hr trip to St Augustine with the kids. We stayed at this hotel because it was close to the historical district with rooms at a reasonable price.

The staff was friendly and we were welcomed with water and oreos for each one of us. The hotel was sold out so we had to take rooms for smokers for a night (we were desperate...we arrived at 2am!) and switched later that morning. During our stay, our rooms were clean and well-appointed considering it is not a 'chic' hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly. It had free Wi-Fi and business center; however, breakfast was not included in our visit.

The hotel is next to the Days Inn. The reference is important because you might pass it as it is hidden behind a business. It is walking distance (0.6 miles according to my GPS) to the information center that is next to the Castillo. You can walk during the day but I would not recommend walking at night. One feels very safe in the area surrounding the information center but the other streets are poorly lite.

You’ll have a wide selection of restaurants and cafes in the area. Since the term 'close' is relative, I’d say that places like Dunkin Donuts, Wendy’s, McDonald’s, and Subway are walking distance (0.2miles) from the hotel.

We travelled with kids (9&14) and this itinerary worked great for us: Old Florida Museum in the morning (highly recommended, especially with Buzz as your guide!), the Castillo and historical district in the afternoon (don't miss the firing of the cannons at 2:30p), and rest at the hotel before taking the Ghost & Gravestones tour in the evening (Julie (guide), Mike, and Kevin were G-R-E-A-T!!!) I will post reviews of these attractions with more details.

Keep in mind that it is hard to find a spot to park your car in the historical district. The covered parking at the information center charges $10 for the whole day but once you exit, you will have to pay the fee again to reenter on the same day.

We had a great time and the hotel location helped make it -though short- a stress free visit. I will definitely consider staying here again if we return to St Augustine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hmmr33326
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you kindly for your great survey. I am pleased that you and kids enjoyed yourselves. I will have to recommend the Ghost and Gravestones tour to more people now. Also, I wil pass along to the staff that everyone was friendly to you during your stay. Thank you again for everything and please visit us again for your 37th trip!

Tampa, FL
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a nice hotel with friendly staff. It is a short walk to the historic area -- about a 20 minute walk or a very short cab ride.
The rooms are nice with lots of space. Breakfast is crowded and average at best.

Room Tip: Take the walk to the old town - its a nice walk along a fairly busy street. But worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoldTraveler7
Thank you kindly for taking the time to let us know how we did during your stay. I will happily pass along to the staff that their friendliness was well met. I am also glad you found the historic district as short walk. Finally, I see that we have room to improve our breakfast and that is no probem. Working towards a higher standard is always a good idea. Thank you again and take care.

Parrish, Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Checked in nicely and promptly. The room they gave me was #201 a king bed jacuzzi suite. This hotel is older, and although not a dump, it is showing its age. I will cut to the main complaint, filthy rooms. The first thing I notice is the humid air in the room and the soured, spoiled smell in the bathroom. There was rust on the inside window blinds, indicative of humidity control issues inside. The grout in the bathroom was pure black, having never been cleaned it seemed. Mold in the grout/tiles in the corner of the tub setup. The ceiling above the shower had mold growing in multiple places and the there were simply mold colonies all over the ceiling.
The bed was comfortable and the A/C worked well. The stay, beyond the smell and sickening mold spore and humidity problem, was ok. Quiet, good nights rest.
The next day I saw the maid service carts and they do NOT use mops to clean the bathrooms. ALL the carts only uses those padded Swifter mops. This explains how black and dirty the bathroom floors are. And even though the carts all had vacuums, on all 3 floors I walked the next morning (until after check out) I never heard or saw anyone using the vacuums.
This hotel should not be more than a 2 star hotel and should not charge what they do. The area of town behind it is not the kind of place you would feel 100% safe walking at night. I felt so icky the next day knowing I breathed in all that mold all night and my clothes had mold spores all over it.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank MiguelT727
I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention. I will work diligently with housekeeping to have these problems rectified at right away. Thank you and have a great day.

Haslemere
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Good value hotel with clean room, comfy bed & free wifi. About 15 min walk to the old town with a wide choice of restaurants and coffee shops. Had 'free' breakfast that was basic but very edible, although nothing for latte fans of diet needs such as gluten free.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pete_Gill_W
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you kindly for taking the time to let us know how we treated you during your stay with us. It is a pleasure to know that your accommodations were clean. Our housekeeping staff will be happy to hear about their good work. I am also happy to hear that you found a variety of restaurants during your visit. Finally, I see that the walk to the Historic District was a pleasant 15 minutes. Take care and thank you again for everything.

Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel was described as being in the heart of the historic district on a major "bid for it" website. Technically correct, but not the part of the historic district you probably picture; that's a mile away. If that's your idea of walking distance,then they are correct. The neighborhood is not one I would wander around in at night.
All this said in the negative, the hotel is clean, up to date, reasonably priced, and has an accommodating staff. I would stay there again because of the value, but I know I'll have to struggle with parking downtown.

Room Tip: In this neighborhood, I'd avoid first floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kalimantan50
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I see that you found the walk to the Historic District to be longer than expected and for that I apologize. On behalf of the staff, I would like to thank you for the kind words you gave everyone. Thank you again and have a great day.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a great stay-weather could have been better-we stayed the Saturday that hurricane Sandy was making it's way up the coast line. We had a free buffet breakfast that was awesome! Vey spacious room. I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scburpee
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you very kindly for taking the time to give us your good words. I am sorry that the hurricane blew in its rain and gusts during your stay, but I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed our breakfast. Please feel free to come back and stay with us during kinder weather. Take care and have a fantastic day!