“One moldy night”

Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Parrish, Florida
“One moldy night”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Checked in nicely and promptly. The room they gave me was #201 a king bed jacuzzi suite. This hotel is older, and although not a dump, it is showing its age. I will cut to the main complaint, filthy rooms. The first thing I notice is the humid air in the room and the soured, spoiled smell in the bathroom. There was rust on the inside window blinds, indicative of humidity control issues inside. The grout in the bathroom was pure black, having never been cleaned it seemed. Mold in the grout/tiles in the corner of the tub setup. The ceiling above the shower had mold growing in multiple places and the there were simply mold colonies all over the ceiling.
The bed was comfortable and the A/C worked well. The stay, beyond the smell and sickening mold spore and humidity problem, was ok. Quiet, good nights rest.
The next day I saw the maid service carts and they do NOT use mops to clean the bathrooms. ALL the carts only uses those padded Swifter mops. This explains how black and dirty the bathroom floors are. And even though the carts all had vacuums, on all 3 floors I walked the next morning (until after check out) I never heard or saw anyone using the vacuums.
This hotel should not be more than a 2 star hotel and should not charge what they do. The area of town behind it is not the kind of place you would feel 100% safe walking at night. I felt so icky the next day knowing I breathed in all that mold all night and my clothes had mold spores all over it.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank MiguelT727
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention. I will work diligently with housekeeping to have these problems rectified at right away. Thank you and have a great day.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Haslemere
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Good value hotel with clean room, comfy bed & free wifi. About 15 min walk to the old town with a wide choice of restaurants and coffee shops. Had 'free' breakfast that was basic but very edible, although nothing for latte fans of diet needs such as gluten free.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pete_Gill_W
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you kindly for taking the time to let us know how we treated you during your stay with us. It is a pleasure to know that your accommodations were clean. Our housekeeping staff will be happy to hear about their good work. I am also happy to hear that you found a variety of restaurants during your visit. Finally, I see that the walk to the Historic District was a pleasant 15 minutes. Take care and thank you again for everything.

Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel was described as being in the heart of the historic district on a major "bid for it" website. Technically correct, but not the part of the historic district you probably picture; that's a mile away. If that's your idea of walking distance,then they are correct. The neighborhood is not one I would wander around in at night.
All this said in the negative, the hotel is clean, up to date, reasonably priced, and has an accommodating staff. I would stay there again because of the value, but I know I'll have to struggle with parking downtown.

Room Tip: In this neighborhood, I'd avoid first floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kalimantan50
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I see that you found the walk to the Historic District to be longer than expected and for that I apologize. On behalf of the staff, I would like to thank you for the kind words you gave everyone. Thank you again and have a great day.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a great stay-weather could have been better-we stayed the Saturday that hurricane Sandy was making it's way up the coast line. We had a free buffet breakfast that was awesome! Vey spacious room. I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scburpee
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you very kindly for taking the time to give us your good words. I am sorry that the hurricane blew in its rain and gusts during your stay, but I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed our breakfast. Please feel free to come back and stay with us during kinder weather. Take care and have a fantastic day!

Commerce
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed here the night of Oct. 20th and the room was wonderful. It had two queen beds and a pull out sofa so everyone slept comfortably. It was clean and the staff were friendly. We usually stay at Holiday Inn Express so I was able to get the room with reward points, and they did not disappoint. I have to give a shout out to Michelle for helping me get my laptop shipped back to me after I stupidly left it in the room and didn't realize until the next day and 1000 miles away. The staff is top-notch and professional and the location can't be beat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard S
On behalf of the staff of the Holiday Inn in St Augustine, I give our highest appreciation. I will happily let Michele know that she did a wonderful job for taking care of your laptop. I hope that you thoroughly enjoyed the time you spent in St Augustine. Naturally, if you find yourself in the area again please come and stay with us. Thank you and take care.

alva
Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you are staying in St. Augustine this is a great hotel to stay at. You can walk to the fountian of youth catch the trolly and ride into town. No need to drive your car to town and pay to park. You can leave your car at the hotel and ride the trolly into town. You can walk to town but a bit of a hike. The staff was wonderful and very helpfull. The room was very clean. Plenty of parking and well lit. Has a large pool that was very inviting. Breakfast was well stocked and had all we needed. Thanks to the staff for a great job.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marie w
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your kind words. I hope the visit to the Historic District was pleasant and the walk was not too much of a bother. I will definitely pass along the good news to the staff about the job they did. Also, I see that you enjoyed our amenities such as breakfast, the pool and spacious parking. Once again, thank you for everything and please visit us again when you return to St Augustine.

Fl
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Pros: close enough to historic district if you don't mind a 10 min walk and 2 min walk to both trolley stations (old senator and old jail). We got free breakfast and were very pleased with the service and food selection/quality! Would've been worth the $ if it wasn't free. King room with whirlpool is pretty great! The whirlpool is in the restroom so it doesn't steam up the room, but it has a window looking into the room so you can watch tv from tub (and also watch companions shower ;0) hehe). Tub/room were very clean and comfy bed. Business center was free and a huge help when I needed to print something last minute! A lot of hotels charge for that.
Con: the wifi is terrible!!! I almost gave 4 star because it is useless!!! I'd rather pay extra than not have in room wifi. I also specifically requested a room with strong wifi, but will chalk that up to bad wifi throughout all rooms and not a customer service oversight since the customer service was great. I hate to belabor this point, but Internet is an integral of travel, which is why tripadvisor exists haha

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Radioheed
Mark F, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn St. Augustine - Historic, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time out let us know how we treated you during your stay with us. I am pleased that the Historic District was easily accessible to your party. I am also happy to know that you enjoyed the spa. I hope you had a good opportunity to spy on someone showering:) Finally, I wish to apologize about the WIFI situation. I completely understand how important the Internet is to travelers as I use it on a daily basis myself, including any trips I take. We actually have new equipment but we need to some adjustments for coverage. At any rate, I appreciate everything you had to share with us and please visit us again when you are in the area.