“Room was clean, service was exceptional.”

Scottish Inns - Lion Inn
Scottish Inns - Lion Inn
Ranked #75 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I have read the reviews (good and bad), before my children and I went on vacay, but we are on a budget so I thought I would check it out anyway. The first thing I did was ask to see the room, before I signed in or paid.. The desk person was extremely gracious, and showed me a room that was very clean. I thought it looked ok, and decided to take it. It did have a mini-fridge and a microwave which was great. When I signed in, she said they were going to upgrade my room to one that was bigger so my children would have more room to play. The outdoor pool was great, but too cold for evening swimming in March! The water pressure was great. We only stayed one night (on our way to somewhere else), but I would stay again. It is an older hotel, but since it was clean, the age didn't matter.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Mytwocentsforyou
There are newer reviews for Scottish Inns - Lion Inn

Reviewed November 14, 2009

We were only staying one night and wanted to get a good deal. I found this place online and thought it looked cute. It was in a great loaction and cheap. We weren't expecting aything fancy. Our first sign that something was wrong were the mattresses in the parking lot. My husband and I talked for a minute and the website had said that it was remodeling -- so we were saying okay they are replacing the matresses. He checked us in at 3:30pm the front desk lady was very nice she gave us our hotel key and we went to our room. I had waited in the car with my 4 yr old daughter. While we were waiting we watched the bring nasty stained mattresses out rooms and replace them with the nasty stained matresses that were on the ground in the parking lot -- I'm not joking Ihave pictures. The room had a musty mildow smell to it. There wer stains on th carpet. There were 2 back doors each with only one lock when the front door had 3 locks. The bathroom was horrible. The fixtures on the sink wer broken the bath tub was stained the toliet was stained. There was duck tape around some of the plumming in the bathroom and along the base boards. We didn't stay the night. I went to talk with the lady at the front desk to ask for a refund and she stated that sinse I had paid on an online website that I would have to get a refund from then. I called thesite and when they checked into the manager Kayla said that we had never filled a complaint and stayed the night -- therefore my refund request was denied. It was just horrible and so gross!!!! Its worth the money to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank momma100304
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We went to St. Augustine because I was an Officiant for a wedding. We only needed someplace for one night and didn't want to spend a fortune. I came across this hotel online and it was the closest to the wedding and the cheapest I could find.

Let me start with the owners of the property. Wonderful people!!! They went out of their way to make us happy and kept telling us that if we needed anything to just let them know. We got there early (10 am) because we needed to not only find where the wedding rehearsal was going to be but where the hotel was. I explained to them why we were early and they gave us a choice of two rooms. I picked the one that wasn't ready yet but they let us check in and even gave us the key card. After the rehearsal and lunch we came back to the hotel and I couldn't believe how big the room was. This is NOT a new hotel and it is in need of some major upgrading and repairs, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable, so comfortable that we both said that we need a new bed at home. Let me tell you about the shower!!!! OMG!!! First of all if you like hot showers then this is the place for you, I don't think it even had cold water, plus it is like a pressure washer it is so strong. My fiance was in there for at least an hour and came out saying he wanted to take that shower home with us!!

They do supply bar soap but no shampoo or anything like that. No worries, we always bring our own.

This is a two star hotel at the most but we would stay here again the next time we are in St. Augustine. Remember you get what you pay for and this plae was cheap but the family that owns it makes you feel welcome and safe and it felt right staying in a privately owned hotel in this economy instead of a high priced corporate place!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tracykim
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway. The rooms are about 50% larger than typical hotel rooms. The beds were doubles, rather than queens which they were advertised as being. At first, we thought the beds would be too hard, but we slept soundly all night. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The office (staffed all night) has a large semi-circular window which allows a full view of the parking lot and cars, which was nice since we have a luxury car. The room had just been recarpeted, repainted and had all new furniture. The tub was not new and had much wear, but the shower was piping hot and did not run out of hot water. The air conditioner was not ice cold during the day, but it cooled off nicely in the evening. There are no extras (hair dryer, iron, shampoo, etc) but I did not expect there to be for the economical price. The pool was clean when we arrived and saw the staff cleaning it during our stay. We enjoyed the room and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank KellyInFL
Reviewed June 25, 2009

This place is close to all the sites in St. Augustine, but it is disgustingly dirty. The ceiling had a hole, and there was duct tape holding the bathroom plumbing in place. There was dirt and hair all over the bathroom. We couldn't bring ourselves to shower or even use the sink for toothbrushing. Luckily, we were exhausted and able to sleep, but I would never return. There was also a note from the housekeeper reminding us to leave her a tip. Yeah.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Floridadadada
Reviewed March 30, 2009

This hotel is disgusting. The carpets were stained. The water was orange. There was hair on the sheets. The room had a terrible odor. My husband said he felt stuff crawling on him. I did not even want to let my baby down on the floor to play. My eight year old was scared to touch anything. Needless to say we didnt ever stay. The manager would not give me a refund so I just lost money. But there was no way I could make my family stay in something so nasty!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank shannonbell
Reviewed April 23, 2008

Spent a few days in St Augustine and wanted a budget hotel to rest at night. Wasn't worth the savings. Hotel information said mini fridge, took us 2.5 days (out of 3 days stay) and talking to 3 people to actually get one in the room. Sheets and linens were stained. Hair on bathroom floor on check-in. Dead roach sticking out under bed. Mold on bathroom grout. Tried dealing with it until final day got an abrupt call saying that we never paid. Turns out they made a mistake when we checked in, and accused us of trying to get away with not paying. When we tried to settle up, we had to fight for the online rate we reserved - and told that we should be happy because they could have charged us more ?! Take my advice - spend a few extra bucks for a real name hotel instead of a budget one.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple