“Not Too Bad...”

Red Carpet Inn St. Augustine
Ranked #72 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in St. Augustine for Memorial day weekend. We did not want to spend a fortune on a room. Started looking for a decent priced room @ the beach. Could not believe the prices some of these places were charging. Absolutely ridiculous. The later it got, there were no vacancies, ended up here on N. US1. Was the only reasonable priced place, and he only had two rooms left. At this point i was ready for anything had been looking for 2 hours. Could tell it was an older motel. Had to have a smoking room, only thing available. I smoke just not inside. Room needed airing out bad... Could tell housekeeping wasn't great. Went and bought a candle.. bed was comfortable, didnt see any bugs. All in All was peaceful & quiet.( Better than sleeping 2 nights in my vehicle.) Manager was extremely nice. Was cleaner than the Scottish Inn (lions inn) over on Anastasia. The remodel sign is out front... a bit misleading.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kim34356
There are newer reviews for Red Carpet Inn St. Augustine

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is need of an update and a good cleaning. The hotel was a joke, most of the outlets didn't work, the air wouldn't cool the room and the bedspread yuk. Carpet was so worn. Unfortunately it was Daytona 500 weekend and not many hotels were available.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank pkane73
Reviewed November 11, 2012

No fitted sheet, no blankets, sink began backing up all over the bathroom floor...we werent even near it, have to pay for ice, no coffee, no housekeeping , WiFi didn't work, hair all over bath... Not ours and not close to walk anywhere ... Even though listed as historic downtown.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank decorandafter
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed here, and got there very late on Friday night. Stayed through Sunday. I've read about bed bugs there with another poster, our room had none. I've had experiences with bed bugs before, and I always check when I get into a place before I unpack or anything. The manager was super nice. And as far as harassing, he would wave to us when we left, offered to help with our luggage. Everything. I call that being.... nice. I didn't have a chance to swim as it was only a weekend trip, and we had so much to do, but hopefully next time!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TNMommyOf3
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I was sucked in by the "renovation" sign and promises of a decent room. I even looked online and saw nice pictures of one of the newly remodeled rooms!
When I got there, I was directed to a room on the second floor. The door stuck so much I had to actually yank extremely hard to open the door (too much paint perhaps?). Then the first piece of furniture I look at is an ottoman just inside the door. I turn on the light only to see it's got some kind of staining ALL over the top of it....extremely gross looking. The bathroom wasn't any better. The door was rotting from the bottom up, the ceiling was peeling down over the toilet and the tile floor was filthy. The blue tile had white grout (in some other decade). I know this, because in the very corners of the floor, the grout was still the correct color. The traffic area was all black.
There were tiles missing in the wall that were replaced by tiles of the same size but not color or pattern.

Hope you don't need ice...they charge for puny buckets full. It's awful.
Next time, I won't even get near this place. It's like a flop house.

Room Tip: Don't trust photos you may see on a website.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Tonda G
Reviewed April 2, 2012

As a frugaltarian(?), I always look for ways to save money on things like Hotels/Motels so that we can enjoy the things that we go on vacation for, and this, by far, was the single most monstrous of a mistake I have ever made.
The place, for one, is a hotbed for the ladies of the Night to carry out their business ventures, the "Manager/Owner" that harassed us most of our less than 24 hour incarceration. The person threatened to keep charging our card for anything, and everything.
All night long, we kept hearing "Skittering" sounds coming from the walls, And then to our horror, my son exclaimed that there were tiny little bugs on his mattress. BED BUGS!!!!!
I examined and then found that indeed the filthy rat trap of a room had indeed been infested with bed bugs.
And to top it off, we discovered many suspect holes in the walls in the bathroom and adjacent sink room.
If you value your family, health, or decency, spend the extra few bucks and avoid this place like the plague!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: As far as we were concerned, we were probably in the best room available, as the owner/manager separ...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank crazysquidgc
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed at this motel for one night while cycling from Jacksonville to Miami. I had a bicycle and the location was excellent, only about a dozen blocks from historic St. Aug. Manager was very helpful at reception and the room was clean and bed comfortable for a modest price. Not a luxury hotel, but convenient and comfortable. Swim pool appeared clear although I didn't use it because the outdoor temperature was cool.

Room Tip: Request a room set back from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo