“Beware!”

Ranked #72 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Portland, OR
“Beware!”
Reviewed February 28, 2008

I reserved a room online and when my boyfriend and I arrived, the lady at the front desk told us to check the room first before we pay. Needless to say, we were spooked about staying in a place that even the staff isn't too sure about. We asked her why the room's cleanliness should even be a question, and she insisted that she asked all customers to check the room first because she did not want to be bothered with processing a refund if the condition of the room did not meet our standards. Naturally, my boyfriend and I exchanged a "no way" look, but agreed to check, really because we didn't want to embarass the lady by telling her how dubious the place now seemed given her choice of words. Sure enough, the place is uber creepy, and we just didn't feel safe there. When we returned to the office, we thanked her, but said no thanks. She said no problem and when I asked her about my credit card reservation to confirm that I would not be charged, she said that she couldn't guarantee that. We asked her to ask the owner, because we didn't want to leave and then get a surprise on my credit card. Long story short, we ended up in a shouting match with the both of them for freaking us out, offering us a cancellation, and then renigging when we requested one. I'd only made the reservation a couple hours before, plus the place was empty! WHY LET PEOPLE UP TO CHECK IF YOU'RE GOING TO CHARGE THEM ANYWAY?! They got our $45, but you can bet we didn't stay there. We headed to the Best Western down the road (on US1) and for the extra $30, it was totally worth it. Friendly staff and nice, *clean* rooms.

• Disliked — Beds were rock hard, carpet was filthy, staff behaved very inappropriately.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank portlander1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)