“Worst Experience in a Long Time”
Review of The Gourmet Hut

The Gourmet Hut
Ranked #180 of 597 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Let me start by saying that we consider ourselves experienced diners and a local of St. Augustine as well. Last night's experience was so bad I now question Trip Advisor's validity for giving this restaurant a certificate. Our service was inexperienced to the point of humor, there is one menu on a board and service runs around sharing it, there is no bathroom, our service napkins were brown paper towels that look like they came out of the public restroom that I was forced to walk to, and the credit card machine was inoperable. Thank heavens had a lot of cash on me. To be fair to the chef, the food was well prepared. However, please note: for the fine dining experience there were 4 main course choices ranging from $27 to $31 and 5 salad/appetizers such as Caprice Salad (their misspelling, not mine-for $15 wondered if i'd get tomatoes or a Chevy) that ranged from $12-$17. If you check my profile I rarely if ever give negative reviews,preferring to not write a review if I had a bad meal. This is the exception.

1  Thank Akmes

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stopped by the Gourmet Hut after doing a tour of the Fort. It was a very chilly day so sitting outside would not have been comfortable. There are only a few tables inside & they are very close together because it is a very small building. There was a big heater in the corner which was needed since it was so cold outside. We should have left immediately when we went inside and customers at one of the tables said that the chef/server would be right back he had to run and get something. There was another couple also waiting for someone to help them. We were there at lunch so we can't say all the wonderful things about the menu that others have said because they do have a regular menu at lunch. When the young man who was taking care of everything came back he took the other couples order and then ours. We placed the order at the counter and then went to be seated at the only other table that was available indoors. My husband & I both just asked for a glass of water since we didn't want a cold drink on a cold day & if you wanted a hot drink he had to order it from the coffee shop next door. When we received our orders we were very disappointed with our sandwiches. My husband ordered the Montana panini. He chose the turkey which was made with your choice of meat, bacon, tomato & cheese & an avocado dressing. It might have been better if there was more meat on the bun but it was mostly bread. It was served with tortilla chips that were out of a bag and a small cup of salsa. My sandwich was called the Gourmet melt. It was far from being gourmet. I ordered it with the turkey also. It was served with provolone cheese and tomato with a choice of mayo or honey mustard. Again very little meat, lots of bread. The cheese was good. After we got our sandwiches we never saw the "server/chef" again until our bill arrived. We were charged for our water which came in a large capped bottle but it was not sealed bottle water. When we asked why they charged for the water he said it was filtered because the water wasn't good. Really? All we wanted was a glass of water & it was not about being cheap. All in all we were very disappointed with the food, the service and the whole experience.

2  Thank MommamurphyFlorida
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Walking by, this place seems like a simple cute little cafe style restaurant. However they are anything but that. The cute backyard appearance of the dining area is complemented very well with the flowers and plants scattered around the area. Their menu is also anything but standard. They receive their ingredients each day and the menu is never the same. Though the price was a little steep for me (graduate school student), their food was some of the best around. I ordered a lamb dish that was by far the best I have ever had. The service was also fantastic. Very helpful and attentive and most importantly they treated you with a smile and eagerness to be there for you in a non-annoying but respectful way. And lastly, once the sun sets, this setting turns into a fairy tale-esk scene perfect for a romantic dinner.

1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The restaurant does not have a set menu. As they explained it to us, it just depends on what they get that day. As a result it would be difficult to recommend what we had as it may not be available when you go. But do not fear, because whatever you get it will be great. They had the best vegetable dish made from avocados wrapped in a cucumber peel. I have no idea what it was called, but it was great.

1  Thank lzclzhs
Reviewed May 13, 2014

What a gourmet treat in a delightful setting. The food was unique and tasty. Fried green tomatoes as an appetizer...scrumptious. Our filets were served with a wonderful vegetable medley. We relaxed with wine as our children pretended to be fairies in this magical garden. Our waitress took time to explain all the meals to be served that evening and was very patient and helpful in helping us make selections It was a fabulous ending to our stay in St. Augustine. An additional note....great coffee and desserts.
Thank you for your kindness to the children and your warm hospitality!

1  Thank Gailbrewma